Tomorrow :(

Tomorrow i have to have my stress test done :( im so scared that med that the give u to open your heart make u fell like your haveing a heart attack.Guys i have anxity problems.I dont know what to do in getting sick just thinking about it

Replies

• Tomorrow i have to have my stress test done :( im so scared that med that the give u to open your heart make u fell like your haveing a heart attack.Guys i have anxity problems.I dont know what to do in getting sick just thinking about it
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    We will all be pulling for you! Stay strong and know you are doing this to be healthier. I will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow, plz let us know how it goes.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Have you ever had a stress test before? I have. No one gave me a med before hand since the goal is to see how your heart does on its own. My stress test wasn't a big deal - I was very comfortable and the staff took great care in making sure I understood what what happening all the time. It wasn't that hard either.

In the long run my stress test was helpful because I learned that my heart rate goes up more rapidly than normal to a target rate and then after that it just stays there, doesn't go any higher. That was good to know! Also, I learned that at my highest heart rate I have a slightly irregular heartbeat. This was comforting because I learned that the strange feeling I get sometimes is due to this and not a heart attack (which my father died of and I am terrified of that happening to me).

You'll be fine - you'll learn a lot and it will be worthwhile for you. You will be in good hands. Try to stop worrrying.... that doesn't help any.
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    We will all be thinking about you steve. I too have anxiety issues, so I know how you are feeling. Just to be sure to focus on your breathing, and pick a place that you would rather be, and imagine yourself there. Just remember that you are on the right path, and you are doing this for your family as well as yourself. You are a strong person and you can do this!

Good Luck!
  • finkkm
    finkkm Posts: 27 Member
    I hope you have someone to hold your hand through it all, I need someone when I just have shots. I hope everything goes as well as can be expected, doesn't sound like a lot of fun. My prayers are with you. :) Keep positive!
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    My favourite visualization exercise is to picture myself days / weeks / months removed from said stressful event, looking back on it and saying to myself, "hey, I got through it."

Good luck, Steve. Sounds like you're going to pull through just fine.
  • jasip7
    jasip7 Posts: 24 Member
    Don't worry....there are two kinds of stress tests. One where they give you meds to stress your heart and one where you excercise to stress it. You will be monitored very closely by nurses and doctors. They will take excellent care of you and you will be fine. We will all be pulling for you!
  • yea i have the med put in me to open my heart up they say its safer than walk the treadmill cuz your not working this med just makes the blood flow faster to your heart but still im so scared of haveing a heart attack it seems like thats all i worry about.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Hey BigSteve,

i just had my stress test last week and I had the meds also. I had spent the whole week stressing over it because I remembered the last time that I had this test and the meds really made me feel like i was having a heart attack then.

Guess what? It was not nearly as bad as I remembered it being. I think the first time because it was new the sensations seemed stronger. (Kinda like the first time you drive somewhere it seems to take forever) This time it hurt but it wasnt for nearly as long and it comes in goes in waves. 4 minutes total and you are done.

Good luck you will be fine.

Darryl
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    You'll be in my POSITIVE thoughts...
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I had no clue that did the med thing. I bet it is scary to feel that fast heart race. But you will be in good hands and you will have a bunch of us pulling for you! Let us know how it goes?
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    You will be alright - and tomorrow will come AND go, stay positive and know you are doing what you need to do to improve your health. You'll be in my thoughts and keep us posted!
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Julie they use the meds for those of us who are too large for the machines, or those who cant do the exercise long enough to maintain the heart rate at a high enough level.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Hi Steve, Good luck with your stress test. I know you will be fine. We're all pulling for you. And in the end, you will get lots of information that will help.
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    STEVE???? how did it go????
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    It is early morning here in WA state, hope your tests go good today!!!
  • Steve, Whenevr Ims cared I just give it all to God. I ask him to take all of it into his big hands and keep it away from me until the moment is over when I do not have to feel fear anymore... and it works. Just say a prayer and let God know you count on him and you have faith in him and that your life is in his hands... and then take a deep breath and go for it...knowing all the while that its in Gods hands always...not yours.

God bless... u will do fine.
  • rraitt
    rraitt Posts: 23
    Hi Steve
    Good luck on your stress test........ I will be thinking about you, and waiting to hear how well youve done..... keep us posted
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Well Steve, we've been waiting to hear that you're OK. Just let us know when you have a minute...until then we're thinking of you.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Steve,

Hope all went well with your test. You have lots of friends here waiting to hear from you...

We are thinking of you