Shin splints anyone?

I'm new to the site so I hope I do this right :)

I love to run but get shin splints pretty bad, is there anything I can do to prevent these or to reduce the pain or any other excercise suggestions. Thanks!!

Replies

• egibbs
    egibbs Posts: 4
    I'm new to the site so I hope I do this right :)

I love to run but get shin splints pretty bad, is there anything I can do to prevent these or to reduce the pain or any other excercise suggestions. Thanks!!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Do you have GOOD shoes that are just for running???
  • egibbs
    Yeah I do, Adidas running shoes. Nike's don't fit my feet well. And I get a new pair every year so they aren't worn out.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Try this: www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271
  • reyals
    reyals Posts: 6
    Good suggestion Julie.

New "running" shoes made a difference for me. I was using heavy walking/cross training shoes and got terrible shin splints. This past week I purchased "running" shoes that are much lighter and I could tell the difference immediately. I have gradually been increasing my running time 5 seconds everyday and the new shoes have made all the difference in the way my legs feel (especially when you are over 300 lbs!).
    If you already have good running shoes, I have heard eating a banana, something high in protein (tuna) and drinking 8 oz water 30 minutes before your run, will also help your muscles.

Just my 2 cents
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    You need to go to a specialty store and have them fit you with a shoe that is appropriate for your arch.

You also need to run in the grass or on a track for a while.

Do ice massage after your run for 20 minutes...and work, work, work...on that calf flexibility.

You might want to make sure you are getting enough iron and calcium...one doesn't work without the other...and shin splints can be a pre-curser to stress fractures.
  • egibbs
    Thanks guys for your info! I'm going to try the ice tonight. Great website Juile!! Thanks again!!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    My two cents as well...

just to stress the importance of NEW shoes that are ONLY for running!

I run all the time and that makes a world of difference.

New
    Only
    Fitted for your feet (just get them to tell you what kind you need and then you can purchase what you want)
    Replace every few months not once a year.... Dependent on how often you run.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    I meant purchase the brand you want (for me that means can afford and work for my feet)
  • I've never gotten shin splints but my husband has up until just recently. He is tall and thin, not over weight at all, and I'm overweight by a lot and I couldn't figure out why he was getting shin splints an I never have. Even after we went to a great athletic shoe store that video taped our running and walking on a treadmill to fit us in the correct shoes. I finally read on a website that some people need to develop a certain muscle in thier calves to balance out the stress on thier shins. SOOO, the website suggested smaller strides. The first day my husband tried smaller strides... Bam!, no shin splints!
    Hope this helps!
  • dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    i have had these before. you need to work on stretching the muscle in front of your leg. i can't remember what its called. I do know that if you run wit shin splints you can crack that bone up there. I've done that before and it took me 6 months to recover. i had to walk up steps sideways for 6 months, lol.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Shin splints depend largely on your body type, coupled with increases in workouts that affect the
    tibialis anterior muscle in the lower leg. Basically, the muscle becomes overused and starts causing accute pain. Anti-inflamitory medication can relieve it. Long lean people usually get it more often because their muscles are being uses more rigorously during an increase in activity. Treatment usually involves Icing the muscles immediately after activity, stopping the activity that is causing the pain until the pain is no longer induced from that activity, and anti-inflamitory drugs in severe cases. In any case, these usually go away with properly working the muscles of the leg so they are in better shape and can handle the added stress from increased workouts.
  • I'm with ya!!! I get them really bad too. Some things that I do to help the pain is put an ice pack on them for about 20 min. And be careful about running on your toes, I notice that when I run in place, I get them really bad.

I think I'm going to go shopping for lighter running shoes after listening to all of these comments. Right now I have a pretty heavy pair of nike basketball shoes that I run in, I guess I need to get shoes specifically for running.
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    I use to get them... but a trick that really works is write the ABC's with your feet. Do REALLY big letters only moving your ankles. I find myself doing this when I am doing homework. Not a one since starting to run two months ago!! Good luck!

Tiffany
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    All the above a great suggestions and I have one more.

One of the big causes of shin splints is whether or not you have over-pronated feet or pes planus. Do you have flat feet basically? If so, then I would suggest getting some orthotics custom made for you and that will help a TON with the shin splints.

You can look at the wear on the bottom of your shoes/sandals and if the inside seems to have worn off more then the other side then you got it! :bigsmile:
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Used to have very bad shin splints - then I got orthotics - now they are gone.