Time to focus on strength?

Hey all, thanks for taking a moment to peruse my question.

I'm about 5 pounds away from my goal weight (not that I really know what my goal weight is, right?) - I've gone from 170 to 140 in 8 months on MFP.

I'm wondering if it is time to switch my focus from weight loss to strength building. I want to get in to weight training and start to build more lean muscle mass; I think this will give me the body/health I'm looking for, regardless of what the scale says.

I guess I'm looking for opinions - should I stop eating at a deficit now and focus on strength training, or should I keep a deficit for awhile until I meet my goal?

Thank you!

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Also, looking for a book maybe to get about weight lifting - people have recommended the New Rules books but the reviews on amazon have me doubting that. Thanks!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Bump. I'm at the same point…
  • It's always time to focus on strength training!
  • It's always time to focus on strength training!

Took the words out of my mouth
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Any time is a good time to focus on stregth training, as far as I'm concerned.

Beautiful Badass is targeted toward women. Around $50 gets you training manuals and videos: http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass

IMO, the creators of this program are more knowledgeable than the creators of the NROL program.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Depending on what type of strength training you want to get into but i would start at bodybuilding.com (dont get worried about the name ) its the best place for workouts and information, look into Jamie Easons live fit program, its an excellent way to begin lifting if you have never done it before. also you may want to look at "periodization" it involves lifting heavier for a block of weeks then switching to a circuit style for several weeks depending on your goals.

as for the calorie deficit , if you start weight training you will be burning more calories on top of your cardio so you may have to slightly increase calories but mainly for energy purposes so clean carbs and proteins would be most beneficial. theres honestly so many different strategies you can follow just find a website like above and start reading articles , you will quickly find out what workouts look appealing and which do not.

Good Luck!
  • vegansara
    Thank you for the responses! I will check out that link right now.

I have been doing Bikram yoga consistently which definitely helps with muscle tone, so I haven't been neglecting my strength. I just want to really focus on it now, instead of losing weight.

Thanks!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    It is always the right time for strength training regardless of whether you're still in a deficit aiming to lose more weight, or you just want to maintain.

Even while in a deficit you will still get stronger, and maintain more muscle than you would've done without it (weight loss is usually both muscle and fat) In maintenance or above, you just have greater opportunity for actual muscle growth.
  • UponThisRock
    Depending on what type of strength training you want to get into but i would start at bodybuilding.com (dont get worried about the name ) its the best place for workouts and information, look into Jamie Easons live fit program, its an excellent way to begin lifting if you have never done it before. also you may want to look at "periodization" it involves lifting heavier for a block of weeks then switching to a circuit style for several weeks depending on your goals.

as for the calorie deficit , if you start weight training you will be burning more calories on top of your cardio so you may have to slightly increase calories but mainly for energy purposes so clean carbs and proteins would be most beneficial. theres honestly so many different strategies you can follow just find a website like above and start reading articles , you will quickly find out what workouts look appealing and which do not.

Good Luck!

A beginner to strength training does not need periodization. It would delay progress, if anything.

And what you're describing isn't an intelligent way to go about it anyhow.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Don't wait, you should have been doing strength training all along. You can still keep a small deficit until you reach your goal weight. Consider changing your settings to lose 0.5 lbs. per week. However, to actually build lean muscle tissue you need to eat a calorie surplus and lift HEAVY. But in the meantime, you can still increase your strength considerably and minimize muscle loss while operating at a calorie deficit.

When you begin a progressive strength-training program make sure you increase your protein to 30-40% of total calories. Do this by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes.

As for books, I love "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler, et al. To follow the program exactly as laid out in the book you do need a gym membership or an extensive home gym with heavy dumbbells & plates, bench, etc. There is a group of women following this program and they're wonderful for support! You can do a search and join the group if you're interested.

Another book to consider is "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips.

Or you can go to www.bodybuilding.com and get free workouts based on your goals.

Edit: For inspiration and good info read this link:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • I have went from 253 to 210 In about 4 months and strength train is basically all I do. I lift 5 days a week about 5 hours total give or take. And the most cardio I do In a week is 2-3 miles on the treadmill split up between two sessions so like 30 min of cardio maybe. Some weeks I do not even do cardio. I have been losig consistently and my strengh has been going up on all my exercises and I eat 1600-1800 cal a day. Be sure to keep your protein up. Atleast 100 grams. Day
  • vegansara
    Thank you all so much for the thoughtful replies and resources, I really appreciate it.

I guess I'm wondering about eating at a deficit - should I increase to maintenance calories or keep a small deficit? I see that Heidi has said that eating at a deficit is still ok.

I think part of me is just tired of eating at a deficit and wondering if I need to continue ;)
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member

I guess I'm wondering about eating at a deficit - should I increase to maintenance calories or keep a small deficit? I see that Heidi has said that eating at a deficit is still ok.

Interested in this as well, I have been strength training (NROL4W....but ready to move on to something else) for about 3 months now and am currently eating at a very small deficit, 150ish calories. I'm looking into starting the Stronglifts program in the next couple months (currently training for a race) and am not sure what is the best way to deal with my deficit.
  • UponThisRock
    Thank you all so much for the thoughtful replies and resources, I really appreciate it.

I think part of me is just tired of eating at a deficit and wondering if I need to continue ;)

People that are new to lifting can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously for a while. Eat at maintenance to take full advantage of your "newbie gains" for a while. In 4-6 months, you can decide whether you want to drop a bit more fat.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member

I joined in June '10, went through right until April last year on a deficit while lifting regularly - there's no need not too. A small deficit, with plenty of protein and regular lifting will do so much more for you than just losing weight will (without strength training), in terms of muscle definition. There's tons of women on this site too that are losing weight while following strength programs such as the new rules of lifting for women etc I haven't tried that before, but judging by the people I've spoken to, it's amazing and really recommended!

If you're tired of a deficit though and happy with your weight then you could go to maintenance :) I know the feeling, being sick of a deficit. I was so happy once I'd got to my goal weight last year and got more food! I'm now doing the same over again though, (deficit of around -300) as I've just recently finished "bulking"
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    f4ld14.jpg
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    f4ld14.jpg

^^^^^^
    The Bible of strength training.

The only problem with Starting Strength for unsupervised newbies is the Clean and Jerk. The C&J is tough to get down without someone knowledgeable supervising. I've read excerpts of New Rules for Women and it seems like she knows what she's talking about. I'm actually thinking about getting that book for my wife, who sticks to her workout classes and refuses to touch a weight.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    is having a larger deficit being counter-productive?
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    bump.

at the same point

and i just started reading the new rules of lifting for women.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Yes-having a large calorie deficit is counterproductive when you are weight training.