My calorie count just threw me for a loop

But then I realized what it does, when you log your exercise, the calories rise.... no way, not giving in, I am at 1220 for the day and staying there..

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    But then I realized what it does, when you log your exercise, the calories rise.... no way, not giving in, I am at 1220 for the day and staying there..
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    I have only been on this site for 3 weeks now and have not lost alot but have read alot of the message boards and almost everyone will tell you that if you dont eat at least some of your exercise calories then your body will think it is in starvation mode and will hold onto the fat. You may not see results if you do not give in and eat some of them.
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Well put!
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    This is correct. MFP takes your BMR and subtracts the correct amount to drop 1-2 pounds a week. They are already determining the calories you need to eat to drop weight and by not eating exercise calories your body with hold onto fat to survive and actually begin eating away at muscle... Please eat your exercise calories.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    thanx, well maybe I will induldge in a few spoonfulls of peanut butter.....
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I never eat all my exercise calories, but I will have like a 100 of them. It makes for a little more relaxed day and I can have an extra treat.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    This is correct. MFP takes your BMR and subtracts the correct amount to drop 1-2 pounds a week. They are already determining the calories you need to eat to drop weight and by not eating exercise calories your body with hold onto fat to survive and actually begin eating away at muscle... Please eat your exercise calories.
    Not BMR, it takes your maintenance calories. Probably just a type-o. Big difference between BMR and maintenance though.
    BMR is the MINIMUM number of calories you need to survive without doing ANY activity at all (like if you were in a coma). Often BMR is actually lower then what you should eat to lose weight., Maintenance, is calories you need to maintain your current weight given normal daily activity.

MFP takes your Maintenance calories and subtracts the correct amount to give you your deficite.
  • K.Ann
    K.Ann Posts: 37
    Yea same here Tamim. I leave 100 or so and that's with a good snack, usually I eat the same amount of calories as usual but add a nice treat at the end of the night that will keep me full till i go to bed like a PB and J on whole wheat. It feels like i'm cheating but i still have calories left. The hard days are when i dont work out! no pb and J!
  • I don't eat all of my exercise calories but I do eat some of them... usually I go for half... I feel good and don't get hunger pains from not eating enough... and if I notice that at the end of the day I still have my exercise calories to eat I have a pb and j too... or I use them for a special treat like birthday cake... but you usually want to try to eat at least some of them or you will not lose weight and you will get discouraged (or at least I do)... and when I get discouraged I go right to my pantry and pig out... lol... so please eat your calories...
    Jenn