7 pounds in 4 days lost! After 3 wks of no loss!

I lost seven pounds in the last four days. I am dumbfounded. I have been exercising six days a week at the gym and eating under my calories, but I didn't see any movement in the scale. I did see an inch lost on my waist and an inch lost on my hips but that's after three weeks.

So, I decide to go drastic and started the Atkins diet four days ago. Wow, this really works! I have been very strict with only eating 20 carbs per day as per the "Induction Phase" of the Atkins diet. I know everyone says to not worry about the scale, but let's be honest. The scale is everything to us! Ok, to me. I can't speak for anyone else.

So after my first day, when I saw a two pound loss, I took the scale and placed it in different positions to see if it was still saying two pounds, and it was! It may seem strange to get so exited over two pounds, but when you have been getting up at five thirty to arrive at the gym at six for their hour long cardio/boxingweight classes every morning and eating 1200 cals religiously per day and the scale doesn't move, that is SOOOO annoying! So yes, I jumped with glee when I lost two pounds in one day!

And four days later, I am still jumping for joy because I have lost seven pounds in four days! I know there are naysayers out there who will say it is not for life, and I should stick with the calorie counting because that is a lifestyle change, and I will not keep the weight off, I can only say, who know for certain? Sure, this may be something where I will lose twenty pounds in a short amount of time, but who can say I won't keep it off? Maybe I will, maybe I won't, I can't say for sure. But all I know is I want results. And I want them now. And I am getting them. So what's wrong with that?

Replies

• When I did my diet last year I kick started it with Atkins for about a month and then converted to low calorie. In 3 months time I was down 26 pounds. So I personally think Atkins is a great fast approach but very hard (and hard on the body) to do long term. Best of luck!
  • I can personally tell you that Atkins is an amazing way to lose your weight and do it quickly! I lost almost 200 lbs when I was at my biggest. I can also tell you that unless you eat like that for the rest of your life it will comeback. I ended up gaining that back. I tried again. Lost 75 and then gained 25 back. I now know that I am in it as a lifestyle change and the word "DIET" is no longer in my vocabulary. That word alone is setup for failure. I have so far dropped 25lbs and I find myself eating right and not wanting to eat bad choices anymore. Just be careful when making these decisions. I know we want the weight off now, but is it worth it when we gain it back plus some? I truley wish you the best and bottom line, want you to reach your goals. Good Luck!
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Becareful, Atkins works great like JHawkins7 said for a fast approach, but not many can do it in the long run and if you cant those inches and pounds will come back with regence.. Id ween myself off onto another healthier way of living.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Your problem may have been the hard excercise and eating 1,200 or less calories. I was doing the same and saw no change. When I upped my calorie count to between 1,300 and 1,500 I started to drop the weight. I have found my maximum loss is when I excercise and eat about 1,400 calories per day.

Good luck with what ever you decide... Just be careful, when I mentioned the Atkins Diet to my Doctor he about flipped out saying you need your Carbs and if I was to do any weight loss program to to Weight Watchers.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    everybodys body is different and works in a different way. If it is working for you that is great!, Just be careful with the workouts and listen to your body. Congrats on the loss! :drinker:
  • Thank you everyone. I realize that I can't eat this way forever, but i am thinking if I can do this until I lose twenty pounds then go back to calorie counting and maintaining that weight with healthy diet and exercise, then that would be great. So that's what I'm shooting for!
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Here's my caveat... I've done "Atkins" and "south Beach".... the problem is yes those pounds leave quickly... but the minute that you start eating real food again, they come back. And they bring friends.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    .... they come back. And they bring friends.

That just gave me a chuckle :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Congrats on the loss! I only gained weight doing Atkins. I now do a modified version, which works extremely well for me. Low carb lifestyle works best for me!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Thank you everyone. I realize that I can't eat this way forever, but i am thinking if I can do this until I lose twenty pounds then go back to calorie counting and maintaining that weight with healthy diet and exercise, then that would be great. So that's what I'm shooting for!

I'd have to say - just make sure you transition slowly... anything to abrupt my cause your body to store what it hasn't had in a while. You may wanna go from strict no carb and slowly raise it over the course of a couple of weeks until you are back on calorie counting.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Congrats! But... Atkins is not a long term solution for fat loss. In fact, long term, on Atkins you're almost certain to fail. Plus, your muscles need carbs to rebuild after exercise. So, while you might lose weight on Atkins, you're going to lose sig lean mass too. Interesting that you found that you lost an inch with your original diet and exercise plan. Wow! I would encourage you to ignore the scale and enjoy the better fitting clothes and lost inches.

Good luck!
  • Thank you everyone. I realize that I can't eat this way forever, but i am thinking if I can do this until I lose twenty pounds then go back to calorie counting and maintaining that weight with healthy diet and exercise, then that would be great. So that's what I'm shooting for!

I'd have to say - just make sure you transition slowly... anything to abrupt my cause your body to store what it hasn't had in a while. You may wanna go from strict no carb and slowly raise it over the course of a couple of weeks until you are back on calorie counting.

Good idea!
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I can't see your food diary, but I hope you're still drinking plenty of water!
    Not to discredit your awesome results which are awesome :D, water can account for lots of sudden weight loss. So please drink enough :)