Do you record your food before or after?

I'm just curious to see how everyone else is doing it.

I try and record before I eat it so that I don't have to go in and up my serving size. I always feel guilty if I have to go in and say that I ate 2 of something instead of just one.

Do you record you food before or after you eat it?

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    I'm just curious to see how everyone else is doing it.

I try and record before I eat it so that I don't have to go in and up my serving size. I always feel guilty if I have to go in and say that I ate 2 of something instead of just one.

Do you record you food before or after you eat it?
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    I try to record my whole day the night before. That way I know I have to give something up if I eat too much or sneak a snack. This has helped me a lot.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    After, but I have gotten to the point I know what the calories are that I am giving myself before I eat them.
  • curvylady
    curvylady Posts: 135
    I record before what I know I am going to eat and then if I made any changes or additions then I do that after. This way I can see how many calories, fat, carbs and protein I have and make adjustments ahead of time.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    I don't record my entire day before hand because the day is so dynamic I never know what's going to happen.

If I'm eating at home, I enter it about 5 minutes before I eat it.

If I'm eating out, I research the nutritional value of my meal online and enter it before I leave the house. That way I know it'll fit into my food schedule rather than guess.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    I usually plan my whole day in the morning when I enter my breakfast in
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    I record right after I eat it. I am so honest on there that it pains me sometimes to see if I have gone over calories...but some days I do.
    Its amazing how aware I am of what calories are in each food, 6 weeks ago I would pick something up and eat it and not think about the calories, but now since I track it right after I eat..I put lots of things back without eating them,.

Here's an example, these dinner biscuits I get from Marketday are 200 calories EACH!!! Holy cow. Anyway, 6 weeks ago I would have eaten 3 with dinner..now I eat 0!!!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    A little of both. I feel like I practically live on this site, so even if I haven't logged it the fact that I am going to in just a few minutes keeps me as honest as if it was already in there.
  • cleattag
    cleattag Posts: 3
    I tried recording it before I kept having to go in and change it. I record it now after each meal. If I am not near a computer I write it down til later.
  • I try to either record the night before or in the morning. I usually plan out the entire day ahead of time so that I can make sure that I have met my goal. I do usually leave room for some snacks because my workouts change, resulting in some variation in the total amount of calories I burn and I will add some if necessary. I avoid recording big meals afterwards because I could potentially overeat and that is just way too disappointing to me to look at something on my monitor saying that I went over! I am pretty strict on myself, but it keeps me going!:smile:
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    I am new to this, but I think recording before will help me stick to my goal...because I definitely struggle with will power!
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    I record everything in the morning so I don't go over. If things change during the day I know hoe I can adjust them so I still don't go over!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Its amazing how aware I am of what calories are in each food, 6 weeks ago I would pick something up and eat it and not think about the calories, but now since I track it right after I eat..I put lots of things back without eating them,.
    I agree. This site has made me much more aware of what I eat. I find it really hard to go over on calories now...it seems like my appetite for junk food has disappeared entirely.
  • Anything at home or planned is entered before, everything else is after and a few more calories than I planned. And I don't care what they say about fast foods adding nutrition facts to the wrapper helping. You don't see them until after you've paid.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Wow, everyone does such different things...I always log after.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I record mine in the morning, that way I already know that there is no way I can go over my cals, because I only allow myself to eat what I've entered.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Before. Sometimes, I plan days in advance. (I do a lot of cooking ahead and re-heating). Often I'll enter a treat a week in advance, so I can tell myself "no, you're having that Thursday after you work out."

But I'm not rigid or anything.:tongue:
    :flowerforyou: