liquid calories vs. food calories

Does anyone know whether or not you burn off LIQUID calories faster than calories from food...????

ex. a 250 calorie health shake vs a 250 calorie cheeseburger.. would the shake burn off faster.
better example... a 100 calorie soda vs a 100 calorie snack (chips, cookies granola, whatever)

would the drink burn off FASTER because you dont have to digest it??

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    I've wondered this too. I would *think* the liquid would be digested/burned off faster since it's, well, a liquid, but calories are calories....or so I've been told.

The content of the food (fat, sodium, etc) I'm sure makes a difference.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I've wondered this too. I would *think* the liquid would be digested/burned off faster since it's, well, a liquid, but calories are calories....or so I've been told.

The content of the food (fat, sodium, etc) I'm sure makes a difference.
    Whole Foods keep you full.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    EAT your calories!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    A calorie is a calorie. The energy it takes to burn one liquid calorie would be the same as that needed to burn one solid food calorie. Much like one pound of feathers weighs the same as one pound of concrete.

Your body will *absorb* the nutrients from liquid quicker than solid foods. As for calorie burning? No difference. Plus, it probably takes additional calories for your stomach to digest the solid foods, so you'd be losing out by just theoretically drinking your food.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Well, you have to understand that everything breaks down to simple structures: Sugars, amino acids, and lipids. Depending on the form they're in, your body will take longer to digest them, because there are certain enzymes and chemical reactions that need to take place before the individual structures can become their separate parts.

For instance, starches will take longer to digest than simple sugars, because simple sugars are what make up starches; breaking down the complex bonds that go into starches takes more energy, and consequently, more time. Unprocessed proteins take longer to break down into amino acids than processed, because there are more chemical bonds that require enzymes and time. Whether or not those happen to be in liquid or solid form is irrelevant, for the most part. However, liquid form generally takes less time in certain instances, because a lot of things like sugars will dissolve easily in water, simplifying the process. Proteins will structurally break down with heat, so putting in protein powder that is processed would take less time to digest than eating a whole burger, because your body can utilize those proteins much more quickly and efficiently. BUT if you just tossed a burger in a blender, it would take the same amount of time to digest those proteins, because they're not chemically processed, like protein powder is.

Don't know if that makes any sense or not, but the form is irrelevant, unless you consider the individual structures going in.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    not all calories are equal, although calories are calories...i have read that our body takes different food differently. i always feel that a 100 calories cookie is not the same as a 100 calories banana.. not only that their nutrients are different, also how your body breaks it down etc.. just eat healthy! and don't worry too much!!
  • May digest faster, but you burn calories all the same o.O
  • May digest faster, but you burn calories all the same o.O

^^^ This
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    BUMP
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Nope calories are calories, however it takes less energy to burn liquid calories than it does to burn solid calories. So dont drink your calories eat them.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    A calorie is a calorie. The energy it takes to burn one liquid calorie would be the same as that needed to burn one solid food calorie. Much like one pound of feathers weighs the same as one pound of concrete.

Your body will *absorb* the nutrients from liquid quicker than solid foods. As for calorie burning? No difference. Plus, it probably takes additional calories for your stomach to digest the solid foods, so you'd be losing out by just theoretically drinking your food.

I would agree with this one. Calories burned are the same regardless. Your body might use MORE calories to actually digest the solids, though... but the time taken? I doubt that makes any difference.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    If you look into glycemic ndex, you'll see that different foods up your blood sugar level at varying speeds. Orange juice is pretty much instant, whereas a steak for example would take longer, because the body has to work to get at any sugar it can make out of it...
    The higher the glycemic index, the more of a blood sugar spike. Which causes insulin to be produced to lower the blood sugar again. In lots of people, with sugar spikes, too much insulin is produced, the sugar is removed from your blood too quickly, and you end up hungry or craving carbs pretty soon after your last 'fix'...

That's what makes a difference in the perception of how far certain calories will go as opposed to others.

Not sure if I am making sense here, but I am sure others can explain too :)
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Here is your answer.
    In addition human body wasn't designed to get the calories from liquids.

Digestion Time Of Various Foods

Water

When the stomach is empty, leaves immediately into intestines.

Juices

Fruit, vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes

Semi-liquid

(Blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min

Fruits

Watermelon - 20 min.
    Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
    Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
    Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - 40 min.

Vegetables

Tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper - 30 to 40 min.

Leafy Vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min.
    Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - 45 min.

Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches
    Acorn & butternut squash, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - 60 min.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains

Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats - 90 min.
    Legumes & Beans - Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min.
    Soy beans - 120 min.

Seeds & Nuts

Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Approx. 2 hours.
    Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy

Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - Approx. 90 min.
    whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min.
    whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours

Animal proteins

Egg yolk - 30 min.
    Whole egg - 45 min.
    Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min.
    Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (Fatty fish) - 45 to 60 min.
    Chicken - 1 1/2 to 2 hours (without skin)
    Turkey - 2 to 2 1/4 hours (without skin)
    Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours
    Pork - 4 1/2 to 5 hours
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    wow THAT is amazing... Its definetely helpful to know this
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member

I would agree with this one. Calories burned are the same regardless. Your body might use MORE calories to actually digest the solids, though... but the time taken? I doubt that makes any difference.
    Satiation is the important factor. I am going to full longer eating 50 grams of protein via chicken breast then I would from a whey shake.
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    always eat your meals use your liquid calories to help out but your food should be your foundation
  • Here is your answer.
    In addition human body wasn't designed to get the calories from liquids.

Digestion Time Of Various Foods

Water

When the stomach is empty, leaves immediately into intestines.

Juices

Fruit, vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes

Semi-liquid

(Blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min

Fruits

Watermelon - 20 min.
    Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
    Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
    Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - 40 min.

Vegetables

Tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper - 30 to 40 min.

Leafy Vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min.
    Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - 45 min.

Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches
    Acorn & butternut squash, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - 60 min.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains

Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats - 90 min.
    Legumes & Beans - Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min.
    Soy beans - 120 min.

Seeds & Nuts

Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Approx. 2 hours.
    Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy

Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - Approx. 90 min.
    whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min.
    whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours

Animal proteins

Egg yolk - 30 min.
    Whole egg - 45 min.
    Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min.
    Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (Fatty fish) - 45 to 60 min.
    Chicken - 1 1/2 to 2 hours (without skin)
    Turkey - 2 to 2 1/4 hours (without skin)
    Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours
    Pork - 4 1/2 to 5 hours

Excellent information. Where did this come from? Source?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    not all calories are equal, although calories are calories...i have read that our body takes different food differently. i always feel that a 100 calories cookie is not the same as a 100 calories banana.. not only that their nutrients are different, also how your body breaks it down etc.. just eat healthy! and don't worry too much!!

really?

so I can over eat on bananas and not gain weight?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Satiation is the important factor. I am going to full longer eating 50 grams of protein via chicken breast then I would from a whey shake.

I agree..

when I am in a bind and slug down a shake for lunch, I am freaking starving like two hours later..however, if I eat chicken breast and some cottage cheese I will be good to go until dinner...

OP - you are way better off eating real food, rather than using shakes as meal replacements.

Also, liquid calories and food calories burn in same manner...