Resting Heart Rate – Your thoughts!!!!

I got a Garmin Forerunner today with a HRM and put it on this evening to play with it a bit and set it up.....

I have noticed that my resting heart rate is quite low 50 – 54 BPM, Now I know this is in the OK range for someone who is quite fit but expected mine to be higher as I am still 227lbs and far from fit....

What is you resting heart rate? And did it go lower the fitter you got or did it plateau?

Replies

• BigJohn82
    BigJohn82 Posts: 25 Member
    My current resting rate is about 60, sadly I dont know what it was before I started running in the AM, which has led me to some major improvements in my endurance.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Resting, 50 to 54, still need to lose 10 pounds.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    I got a Garmin Forerunner today with a HRM and put it on this evening to play with it a bit and set it up.....

I have noticed that my resting heart rate is quite low 50 – 54 BPM, Now I know this is in the OK range for someone who is quite fit but expected mine to be higher as I am still 227lbs and far from fit....

What is you resting heart rate? And did it go lower the fitter you got or did it plateau?
    First, your RHR is fine, fit or not. So don't worry there. I was reading where someone who didn't exercise had a RHR of 42 and their doctor was not worried.

My RHR before I really got into shape was 60. Now that my training is more geared towards circuits and intervals, it has dropped to 50 (average).
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    i don't understand what your resting heart rate actually means? can some explain it to me. i got a hrm and i did my set up on it and mine at 1st was 69 then i re did it last week and it was 61....
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    You might be fitter than you think! Or your chest strap could be a bit loose / sensor too dry and it could be a measurement error.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    You could have a condition called bradycardia.

Take a look at the following page:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bradycardia/DS00947

According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Bradycardia is defined as a slower than normal heart rate. The heart usually beats between 60 and 100 times a minute in an adult at rest. If you have bradycardia (brad-e-KAHR-de-uh), your heart beats fewer than 60 times minute. Bradycardia can be a serious problem if the heart doesn't pump enough oxygen-rich blood to the body. For some people, however, bradycardia doesn't cause symptoms or complications."

I am not sure if bradycardia is defined as having a RHR under 60 or if that is just a symptom of it. I noticed that I have a RHR of 50 (it has been as low as 40, it was 42 this afternoon at noon) and I am no elite athlete. I first noticed it about 6 months ago when I started regularly tracking my BP. I decided to ask my doctor about it. He ran an EKG and said that I have a normal sinus rhythm bradycardia and that I should not worry about it unless I experience dizziness or lightheadedness. I would not be overly worried about it but I would see my doctor about it if I were you because there can be underlying causes that are deadly and in those cases you could need a pacemaker. I think those situations are rare but I figure we should be overly cautious when it comes to the the heart.