DAY WALKERS

erin2081
erin2081 Posts: 368 Member
The WORST part about working nights, especially 12 hour shifts, is regular night sleeping folk.
Have you guys noticed that unless people have worked night shift, they seem to think that people who work nights just NEVER sleep at all?

Someone posted on the "nights off" thread that they are basically tired a LOT. That about sums it up for me. I'm tired a LOT. I'm constantly trying to be awake for other people.

On my days off, people want to hang out with me...at NOON. Or 11am. I try to flip it around and ask them if they'd like to hang out on their day off at 2am, or even midnight....most of them just laugh, but STILL don't seem to think I need any sleep at all.

I was thinking about going back to school, and looking at different options. I found a program monday-friday 8:30am-3pm. I've actually had people tell me that would be perfect since I work nights. I work from 7pm to 7:30am. I leave for work at 6pm and get home at 8am. WHEN WOULD I SLEEP? 2 hours a day? REALLY? YOU go to class from 8:30pm-3am! That would be perfect since you work DAYS!

Oy.

Also. Just like you, I do not come home and go straight to bed. So just because I get home at 8am, doesn't mean if we make plans for noon I will have had 4 hours of sleep.

Replies

• kphillips83
    kphillips83 Posts: 56 Member
    Haha I can relate! My mother is the worst too.. she calls me all day long and when I finally answer (very grouchy like btw) she is like ''oh you are sleeping?". I'm like really???? I have also called her at 2 a.m. or even 5 a.m. (wich is still way early for her) but it doesn't matter to her... or anyone for that matter. Maybe we should take it as a compliment.. the think we are superhuman haha
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Oh How I can relate! Most people I tell not to call me after 12:00 or I'll call them at 03:00! after the first couple am calls the get the hint!
    Their most frequent excuse is I did not know if your still working nights... Your always awake when I call!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    I'm constantly trying to be awake for other people.

Story of my life!

I do have a lot of friends who work nights though, which is nice!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    My pool of friends, family and other contacts is quite small, so I don't really worry too much about getting woken-up!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Yeah that happens a lot to me. Even my dumb *** supervisor calls me at 1pm to call me a moron and tell me I'm the worst nurse ever; then gets pissed when I'm late. I'm so glad I'm switching departments Monday ! My new boss is so much nicer.
  • Or how about those "mandatory" staff meetings at 1:00 in the afternoon? Ugh! Why doesn't everyone just come in for "mandatory" staff meeting at four thirty? :laugh:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Or how about those "mandatory" staff meetings at 1:00 in the afternoon? Ugh! Why doesn't everyone just come in for "mandatory" staff meeting at four thirty? :laugh:
    I just love those mandatory staff meetings during the day. Especially the ones scheduled at 12pm on Wednesday when I work Tuesday and Wednesday overnights. Yeah, that's totally convenient for me. Thanks.
  • I completely agree! We are constantly asking them to hold 2 staff meetings one in the day time and one in the middle of the night but they never listen, at least now they are doing them at 7:30am so we can stay after work, but it makes for a hard night if you have to be back later
  • I completely agree! We are constantly asking them to hold 2 staff meetings one in the day time and one in the middle of the night but they never listen, at least now they are doing them at 7:30am so we can stay after work, but it makes for a hard night if you have to be back later

I have one at 7:30 this week right after I get off. I'm so looking forward to it -__-
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Or how about those "mandatory" staff meetings at 1:00 in the afternoon? Ugh! Why doesn't everyone just come in for "mandatory" staff meeting at four thirty? :laugh:

^^ This Exactly!!
    I am all for a staff meeting at 2:30am!

@ up at 3:00am while I am at work. She got the kids. :smokin: :laugh: :glasses: :bigsmile:
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    I'm constantly trying to be awake for other people.

Exactly. People just don't understand. I'm sorry that I'm human and I need 8 hours of sleep. Minimum. Even those that say they get it, really don't.

And as for staff meetings.... UGH! We're required to have 14 hours of Continuing Education per year at work. Well they've done away with the lunch time videos (which was convenient as hell for 3rd shifters)... but they have spoken with several people to come in at 10am and 4pm (ish) so people can still get their CEs. Um?! No. I'm not staying 3-4 hours later. And I'm certainly not getting up at 3pm to drive 30 min one way to work for an hour CE. Thanks for being considerate.