40 and older

Hello,

I just recently had my 40th birthday in December, and want a new me! I'm tired of being fat, and I'm tired of being tired! I've struggled with weight my whole life, but I'm the biggest I've ever been (other than being 9 mo. pregnant). I'm also 40 now and they say if you're not careful, it all goes down hill from here. Well, I want to be an exception to that rule! I've lost weight before doing Atkins, and did very well. I've also lost weight by just plain starving myself. Well I tried Atkins a couple of months ago, and HATED it. I was NOT happy. I love to eat a variety of foods, and meat, cheese, eggs, and green veges weren't cutting it. I like pasta, I like bread, and I like dessert! So........I decided after about a month of going over it in my brain, that if I can't do Atkins, and I don't want to starve, there had to be a better solution. I realized I didn't get this way over night, (really I DID realize that, and I now beleive it's something we all need to come to grips with) so I can not lose it over night, or in two weeks, or in one month, so forth and so on....I believe that turning 40 has earned me a badge on wisdom, because I see things a lot differently than I did, when I was 20 and 30. My solution to my problem (my weight problem that is), is to eat everything I want, but to practice portion control, and use healthier alternatives. I began my new "healthy lifestyle" on Feb 9 at 228.8 pounds, and now to date I weigh 221.2 pounds. I'm drinking as much water as I can, limiting myself to ONE diet soda per day, and allowing myself 1200 calories per day. I eat all day, am never hungry, eat dessert EVERY night, and I'm losing weight!!!! I am also using ADVOCARE products. I drink one SPARK every morning, instead of coffee, and take their vitamins twice per day. I'm not tired at all anymore because I'm giving my body a lot of good nutritiion. I'm not putting anything into my body that's unhealthy and my body is reacting to this in a very positive way! If you're 40 or over, and want to walk up that hill instead of roll down it, just know you're not alone. I'm walking up that hill with you right this very minute! Best wishes to you!

Replies

• rogermedic71
    rogermedic71 Posts: 19 Member
    Welcome, I joined the 40 club myself last year. It definatley makes you look at things differently. I've realized I am no longer indistructable!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    I am 42! You youngsters have nothing to complain about!
  • angbak60
    angbak60 Posts: 31 Member
    Congrats to you! At 51 (almost 52!!), I can say that losing weight in my 40's was a bit easier. Now with hormonal changes and such, it seems to take more effort - nevertheless I'll get it done this time for sure and plan to keep it off forever!! I have learned that in order to keep the weight off, I have to continue doing what I did to lose the weight.

I agree that it's so much better to eat real food and not starve myself or deny foods that I enjoy. Portion control is key! We will do this!!
  • Hi! I am 47....doesnt seem possible lol...and yesterday was put on my first blood pressure meds. That was my wake up call. I am losing weight and starting over with a whole new attitude in honor of my mom who I lost in 2010....she had strokes and heart disease and while it would be my greatest goal to be like her as a person, I dont want her health problems.

I am looking for new friends and support here and look forward to returning the favor! :)

Debra
  • tweetsmom
    tweetsmom Posts: 31 Member
    I joined the 40 club in December too, and I have to say it was quite depressing. I had promised myself I would get healthy before I turned 40, and instead, my birthday came and went with nothing more than that unfulfilled promise. So, in January I started out again, this time using MFP and I really LOVE it! In addition to now being 40, I also have a health condition which makes it extremely difficult to lose weight and extremely easy to gain it (go figure!). So, any progress in weight loss is GREAT progress in my book! I also have a weight loss buddy at work that supports me when I need it, which is a tremendous help. So far, I'm down almost 8 lbs, and I am thrilled. It's starting to show and I am feeling better too. I have become best friends with my Wii, using mostly the Zumba and Just Dance 3 games for cardio. I don't enjoy exercise, but these games make an hour fly by in an instant and help me to work off my extra calories. I really believe that healthy eating and exercise are the key. All those fad diets give results, but they are short-term. Before you know it, all the weight you've lost has "found" you and brought a few extras with it! Good luck on your journey! 40 is going to be fabulous baby!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Debra,
    If it helps, I was on blood pressure and cholesterol meds both. Before joining this site I lost 42 lbs and my doctor has taken me off both! Dietary changes and exercise sure worked for me! I hope it does for you too!
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Congratulations on your decision. When I was 40, i was still arrogant and thought it would always happen to someone else,not me. My lifestyle was spent driving around the out back and eating out of road houses. Stacked it on around the gut. Then the body said enough is enough. Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 in my late forties and slightly high blood pressure when 50. All my last efforts were basically you know what in the wind. Never serious and didn't loose much weight I was 118 kgs back then. Now Im down to 111. ad feeling fantastic so it is worth it. All the best with your efforts and feel free to add me if you wish and want some more support crews
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    I am 43 here wishing I was 40 again lol
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Pah! I have a baseball glove older than you!! this is a GREAT age to make such a positive lifestyle change! Congratulations!
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    I will be 50 in just under 2 months...Last year on my birthday, I said I have to try to lose some weight...With the help of MFP and everyone on here, Im down 34 lbs. and feel a million times better...Anyone can do it if they set their mind to it, and want it bad enough...Im able to run again, whick helps a ton...Good luck on your adventure!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Congratulations on your decision. When I was 40, i was still arrogant and thought it would always happen to someone else,not me. My lifestyle was spent driving around the out back and eating out of road houses. Stacked it on around the gut. Then the body said enough is enough. Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 in my late forties and slightly high blood pressure when 50. All my last efforts were basically you know what in the wind. Never serious and didn't loose much weight I was 118 kgs back then. Now Im down to 111. ad feeling fantastic so it is worth it. All the best with your efforts and feel free to add me if you wish and want some more support crews

My lifestyle was pretty much the same as yours, driving all day long and entertaining clients in restaurants and zero exercise. Whilst I wasn't diabetic, my weight crept up to 115 Kgs and I knew then that if I kept doing what I was doing, Im gonna keep getting what I'm getting. It's never ever the wrong time to do the right thing. Congrats on dropping those 7kgs!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Yeah, um, not sure where you heard it goes down after 40 lol....don't believe that.

I'm 44, weigh what I weighed in h.s.....165 lbs or so...most of my running friends in their 50's can out run me! This one guy, his teenage son still can't beat him in a 10k or half marathon.

Anyway, I didn't join MFP for me...I joined to support my sister in law who wanted to lose weight....and by sticking to 1,200-1,400 a day and exercising she is losing weight! You can do it!!! It's all about determination.

I ran 20+ miles today training for a half-marathon. Going out with friends to eat tonight. Love it! Enjoy your life...don't worry about the numbers...
  • Hi
    I just had my 43rd birthday a couple of weeks ago and noticed how the weights been creeping up on me. My son bought me a return ticket to Auckland as a birthday present and was telling me about this site. I find it great. It has such an easy to use calorie counter and I normally gain extra calories through walking. I am still signed up with weightwatchers online but prefer this site/ I also really like spark people and get motivation through their articles and fitness videos.:flowerforyou:
  • Hi Everyone! So glad I found this group. I turned 40 in January. Now when someone asks how old I am, saying 40 just sounds so strange. I've been using mfp since December. Much success to us all!
  • 45 next week and spending it in Berlin wheeeeeeeeeeeeee :) it's just a number and I certainly don't feel or act it....yet :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    It hit me last year, I was about to be 41, just had 6th kid a year before that and the baby weight was not coming off, and I noticed my arms were jello like and I did not have the muscle tone that I had.

So I kicked my butt into gear and joined a gym. I now teach their Zumba classes there 8 times per week and have gotten in great shape. Now, I am wanting to build more muscle, so I have changed my eating.

35/35/30 protein/carbs/fat. I have noticed a big difference. Gaining muscle and losing fat!!

I will be 42 next month and I am more fit than the college girls that come into my class. I am not where I want to be, but I can see now, that age will not limit me.

Keep it up and do not let age bring you down!! ;)
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Hi 47 here!! And I am in the best shape ever! Add me for support if you like!
  • joeyrm71
    joeyrm71 Posts: 2 Member
    Turned 41 in January! I love this site. I had tried dieting a couple of times over the years and hated all the restrictions and special foods. Now, I get to the gym 3-4 times a week, training for a 5K, then a half, eventually a full marathon someday. I decided I was not going to diet ever again, and opted for an almost complete lifestyle change. I'm an architect, so many days are spent behind a computer or layout desk, now I can't wait to get the gym after all day of being confined to my desk.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Hi everyone.

I turned 48 in January and wish I was 40 again. I've noticed my metabolism is not what it used to be, i'm now on thyroid medication for an under active thyroid which makes it more difficult to lose weight and although in my mind I don't feel 48 my body tells me otherwise.

With all that said, I don't feel old. I'm pretty active and I try to eat a balanced diet but I do have my slips every so often.

Hope to make some friends and get some encouragement as well as give encouragement to others.

:smile:
  • slogan1271
    slogan1271 Posts: 5 Member
    Wow, it was so encouraging to see so many other 40+ MFP users on here! My next goal is to get some exercise in each week. :happy: Someone posted about how she has been using the Wii for exercise. We got a Wii in our family for Christmas this year. Sadly no one has really played it. I was thinking just the other day I need to start using it but I don't even know how to turn the thing on! LOL! I'm gonna have to ask my hubby or kids to show me how to use the darn thing. I'm hoping to continue being encouraged by seeing all your posts, and hope to encourage others as well. Keep up the good work everyone! Let's continue updating our progress atleast once a week. Nice meeting all of you! :happy: