If every day were like today...

Options
Does that really work for anyone? Hasn't for me yet. I been at this 6 weeks. And def not anywhere close to that number, even though the majority of days have been the same. I think I might just ignore that, and not even bother clicking on "complete entry" at the end of the night. Otherwise I gonna get more discouraged. :ohwell:

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I actually love that feature. LOL :-)

On GOOD days, I see how low that # is and I get pumped up! On BAD days, I whack myself in the head for screwing up. I like it, it keeps the goal in mind for me.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I kinda like it, too! I also like to see the # at the end - good day or bad day - it's motivating to me, cause I know that I can SOoOoOoOooo easily fall into the "oh well, what difference is this one chocolate gonna make', mentality... but that 'one' chocolate, every day... CAN make a difference, after-all THAT is how I my scale started to creep up in the first place! The 'if every day were like today' feature, reminds me of just that. Although, for the same reason you stated - my days are mostly the same - but the weight they 'predict' that I will be in 5 weeks has never been achieved. I am sure MFP isn't taking into consideration the muscle I am gaining from exercising, so maybe that's the reason. Who knows, but it's fun anyway ;)
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's good to have an idea of how your day-to-day choices affect your "in 5 weeks" weight....because it IS too easy to get into the "well, tomorrow's a new day so my mistakes and slip-ups today dont matter" mentality. They won't make you gain a pound in a day or anything, but letting yourself slide every day will add up. So it's good to check yourself to know you're on the right path.

Just don't take it seriously as a way to measure your progress. Everybody and every BODY is different. MFP uses a simply calculation for that figure, one that can't possibly take into consideration all of the variables you will encounter on your weight loss journey.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Does that really work for anyone? Hasn't for me yet. I been at this 6 weeks. And def not anywhere close to that number, even though the majority of days have been the same. I think I might just ignore that, and not even bother clicking on "complete entry" at the end of the night. Otherwise I gonna get more discouraged. :ohwell:

You are correct. The math there is of course taking your daily maintenance calories minus what you just ate, minus exercise credits.

Problem is, MFP has no idea what you just burned on all your daily activities for those maintenance calories. So that encouragement starts with a rather shaky foundation.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine is, from what I've seen, fairly accurate. I seem to follow it down quite well overall, though I have a set number in mind that I'm watching it take me to. I was getting there when it said I would, then I got ill for just over a week and gained a few pounds back. Now I'm on my way back down and it seems accurate again.

MFP has always been pretty accurate with calories burned for me, too. I think I am the exact average person the calculations were built for - I'm sedentary and log all exercise, so I guess I'm easy to work out.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mine was pretty accurate when I was losing weight - but I think that's because I usually eat pretty close to my daily calorie allowance. If i had a day when I way way over or way under the prediction would be unrealistically high or low - which is useful feedback, especially on high days!