Vegetables :/

LovesGG
LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
I'm really struggling to eat vegetables mostly because of their taste. Like, I'll taste it and throw up.
Background info: I didn't grow up eating vegetables, just chips, soda and rice.
Did anyone used to not like vegetables and now you like them? If so, how long did it take you and how did you do it?
Or has anyone found a way to include them in your diet without dealing with their taste?
What are some good vegetables to start experimenting with that won't make my taste buds jump out a window?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    I love nearly all veggies and hated them before middle of high school. Which ones didn't you like?

I love squash (acorn, spaghetti, butternut, pumpkin) onions, tomatoes, spinach, and peas best
  • meggiewes
    meggiewes Posts: 19
    I like steamed veggies. I'm still trying to figure out how to like some of them myself and the best I know is to keep trying. I have been watching episodes of Good Eats to try to get recipe ideas and some of them look really good.

Mostly I put them on sandwiches and in salads. I have been trying more and more of the school's veggie options and some of them are really good. I learned that I liked cucumbers because it would put them on my sandwiches instead of pickles for a different taste. I've mostly been inspired to try new things from Good Eats though. But at least I found something to keep me exploring food.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,201 Member
    Carrots are the easiest. Put them is the food processor and shred the hell out of them. Add to spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, hamburgers, salsa,dressings, you won't even notice them.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    I'd start by putting veggies in other dishes to "hide" them. Add to chili, sauces, soups, etc. Mixed with other things they may not taste as bad. I've always liked veggies, some more than others. I would try to find one or two you like to start with - don't worry about eating a large variety at first. Find a dip or seasoning that you like and put that on them as well
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    When I started I mixed them in with my meat and added olive oil to them while I cooked them. I also add curry, pepper, and/or garlic as seasoning. I also sometimes cook an egg over easy and break the yolk up into the veggies to give it some flavor.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    I like some vegetables,but wasn't eating them. Now I love fresh green peppers,I eat them like an apple, or stuffing with tunafish mixed with dill relish. Those really small baby carrots,snap peas,green beans,cucumbers all make a great nibble snack. Experiment a bit. Get a list of different vegetables available in your area and try the ones that dont make you nauseous.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    v8 fusion, everyday. I don't like veggies or fruit. I'm a meat and potatoes kinda girl. I only eat cooked veggies, raw cold veggies hurt my sensitive teeth. I don't really like fruits either :-/ I love juice, and only buy 100% juice and add it to my my daily calorie count.
  • klj491
    klj491 Posts: 9 Member
    Spinach! blend it with fruit in smothies, I swear you cant even taste it! Or put it through a juicer with apples, oranges, and/or grapes. It has a very weak flavor, and the fruit totally hides it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Put veggies on veggies, it works I swear. Ie minced ginger on brocolli
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Whatever you try do it at least twice, with different batches. I had some celery that came from a different store. NASTY. I'm not sure what was wrong. A batch that was bought a few days before at a different store had was wonderful.

mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, asparagus, green beans, snap peas. Just some of the items I like.

Maybe you could help mask the flavor. Eat a single grape with a bite of the veggie. Maybe the sweetness of the grape will help.
  • hjb85
    hjb85 Posts: 14 Member
    Work your way up to eating veg by itself. Treat yourself like a kid learning to eat veggies and hide them in your food. It's easy to add grated carrot or zucchini into heaps of things like mince, sauce, even muffins. Try soups like minestrone or chicken and vegetable. Add some flavour with herbs & spices, even honey. if you boil come baby carrots and pop a bit of honey in the water they come out super sweet & yummy! Remember that your tastes will change over time and there are so many different types of fruit and veg out there! Go to a fresh food market and wander around until you find something that appeals to you. Then you can experiment with different ways of cooking it! :)
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    I grew up in a house with not many veggies. My mom was partial to turnip and brussel sprouts (ick). It took a while before certain foods stopped triggering my gag reflex. I still can not deal with the texture of a lot of veggies when they are cooked (carrots and beets especially) so I eat a lot of salads or raw veggies with hummus to dip in. I also will have veggie smoothies.
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I'd start by putting veggies in other dishes to "hide" them. Add to chili, sauces, soups, etc. Mixed with other things they may not taste as bad. I've always liked veggies, some more than others. I would try to find one or two you like to start with - don't worry about eating a large variety at first. Find a dip or seasoning that you like and put that on them as well

agree. there are some veggies that are easily hidden because when blended, they'll have a smooth texture and don't have a bitter taste.
    if you go to the store and check out all those pureed fruit drinks (not just V8, there's Bolthouse Farms and more!), read the ingredients to see what veggies appear in almost all of them:

beets
    carrots
    tomatoes
    potatoes

these veggies tend to be easier than others to 'hide' in other foods :)

also,
    zucchini can be hidden in just about anything, and
    spinach, chopped fine, is a good addition to sauces of any kind.

For more tips, Livestrong has a great series of articles on the subject:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/205951-how-to-hide-vegetables-in-food-for-kids/
    (I know it says for kids, but I'm sure this applies to anyone haha)

Good luck!
  • redjen
    redjen Posts: 12
    I totally sympathise! I grew up not eating vegies as well.
    THe best way i've found to include them in my diet is to disguise them, and their flavour as much as possible.

Some ways i've found are:
    -Brocolini or brocoli lightly fried in a tiny bit of olive oil with some light goats cheese. You can't even taste the brocoli after that!
    -Vegies in pasta- i chop up loads of onion, shallot, mushroom, tomato, carrot into tiny, tiny bits then add it to my favourite tomato based pasta. Don't even notice they are in there when they are tiny enough- and the flavour is overpowered by the pasta sauce.
    -Beans lightly fried in some olive oil and garlic- again the garlic taste totally disguises the flavour of the beans.

ALso a fan of the v8 vegie juices and sneaking vegies into strong tasting berry smoothies :)
  • redjen
    redjen Posts: 12
    Oh and making potato pancakes and substituting half the potato for shredded zuchini is excellently sneaky as well :)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    1. Find different ways to make them

for example:

roasting vegetables

I find blended vegetable soups yummy: store bought -campbell's market vegetable soup

or homemade:
    if you have a couple hours to make one, i really enjoy this recipe:

Fall Harvest Soup

2 Tbsp butter or oil
    1 Large onion, chopped
    2 Large leeks (white part only), chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 Large potato, peeled & diced
    1 Cup chopped celery
    1 Cup chopped carrots
    1 Medium butternut squash, peeled & diced
    1 Large tart apple, peeled & diced
    5 Cups of chicken stock (I use vegetable because I am a vegetarian)
    1 Tsp thyme
    1/2 Tsp ground allspice
    1/4 Tsp nutmeg
    salt & pepper

Saute onion, leeks and garlic in butter in large pot over medium heat until soft. Add potato, carrots, celery squash, apple and stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add seasonings.

Puree mixture until smooth in blender or food processor. Return to pot and heat well, but do not boil.

Serve piping hot, garnished with minced chives or green onions.

Yield: 6-8 servings

looks like baby food, tastes like heaven

2. Find ways to hide them

for example: hide veggies in a fruit smoothie: 1/2 cooked carrots, strawberries, mangoes, OJ, peach frozen yogurt
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    I can guarantee you that almost every vegetable tastes better roasted. Pick a few, roast the bejeesus out of them (spray with nonstick spray, bake at 475 degrees), and thank me later :)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    nvm
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    I find roasting veggies brings out their natural sweetness. roasting carrots, potatoes and asperigus in the oven with olive oil and parmisian cheese. Its amazing!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    I can guarantee you that almost every vegetable tastes better roasted. Pick a few, roast the bejeesus out of them (spray with nonstick spray, bake at 475 degrees), and thank me later :)

Ohhhhhhhh yeah! Sweet potato chips!! :love: Though I roast them at 420 F, about twenty minutes each side. You never so much as look at regular potato chips after that!