Rant Against Ignorant Advice

124»

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Welcome to the Internet!!!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I googled on how to deal with people who give you bad advice, and you're doing it all wrong.

... just kidding :)
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I googled on how to deal with people who give you bad advice, and you're doing it all wrong.

... just kidding :)

:tongue: Them's fightin' words lolz
  • newcraft
    newcraft Posts: 11
    I know this is a radical thought - but if it's working for someone, is it "really" ignorant - or is just something that may not work for you?

We all have to feel empowered in what we're doing, to keep ourselves on track, and I find it interesting that someone would take offense so quickly at someone sharing what's happening with them. You can take the advice or leave it, but is every shared thought intended to be a lecture about "you must do this?"

Sure there are the extremists who use those exact words, but hopefully by now most of us already know how to brush those people off, n'est-ce pas?
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I know this is a radical thought - but if it's working for someone, is it "really" ignorant - or is just something that may not work for you?
    Well sure! When he does what works for him, I enjoy hearing about it (this guy's a good friend after all).
    There's nothing bothersome or harmful in sharing what works for you yourself, imo.
    But if you read my original post, you'll notice one little problem: I never ASKED for his advice.
    I simply mentioned that I was eating more protein lately.
    He responded by insisting that I make his 600 calorie shake recipe, drink it in the morning,
    and eat carbs for the rest of the day.
    Yet when I asked him WHY I should follow this advice, he was unable to answer.
    That, to me, is information passed on in ignorance.
    He was telling me what to eat and when, with no regard for my body, goals, or needs.
    This is what frustrated me.
    It bothers me when people pass on 'what works for them' as though, because it works for them,
    EVERYONE should do it.
    I know he had good intentions, I do value his opinion, and of course I'm not mad about this any more :)
    I just wish, in this instance, that he would have taken a moment to consider MY needs before getting pushy with his advice.
    We all have to feel empowered in what we're doing, to keep ourselves on track, and I find it interesting that someone would take offense so quickly at someone sharing what's happening with them. You can take the advice or leave it, but is every shared thought intended to be a lecture about "you must do this?"
    First off, he wasn't "sharing what's happening with him". *I* was sharing what was happening with *ME*!!
    It's great that my friend feels empowered.
    He has made great progress and I love to hear about his journey to better health.
    "is every shared thought intended to be a lecture"...of course not. But THIS WAS A LECTURE.
    This was him telling me, in command form, 'DO THIS'. That's what I took offense to.
    Maybe that's wrong of me, but that's why I chose to rant here rather than AT HIM lol.
    Sure there are the extremists who use those exact words, but hopefully by now most of us already know how to brush those people off, n'est-ce pas?
    c'est vrai! :flowerforyou:
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    I don't pretend to have the expertise to give others nutritional, fitness, or health advice. That's why I usually just share my personal experiences, if it reates to a question asked.

Further, though, i have some general rules like...I don't take weight loss advice from fat people, or those who've never had a weight issue to overcome, I don't take anti-ageing advice from young people, I don't take lawncare advice from people with less than perfect lawns, etc.