I just blew my diet

I was doing so well for so long, then we had our class ball this weekend--and I don't know what happened other than I binge ate ALL weekend. Really badly--like thousands of calories (about 12,000 calories in 3 days), so many I didn't even want to record them.

I just blew it, 2 months of hard work and really clean eating are just GONE. It's hard not to hate myself right now, and now I'm back to where I started

I feel like crap

Replies

• waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    You didn't blow your diet.. you just had a bad weekend. You're human and this happens sometimes. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and commit to being really good this week. You can get back on track and it's all going to be okay.
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    You didn't blow your diet. You didn't fail at anything. You enjoyed your weekend and that was that. Just start fresh tomorrow. You aren't starting over, you are continuing on. Things are okay. Just breathe.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    No need to be overly dramatic. You might feel like crap right now but a few days of lousy eating do not cancel out months of being healthy. Even if you have put ALL of the weight back on you still haven't lost the fact that you developed good habits, that you know what you need to do to experience success and that you are a lot healthier than you would have been if you hadn't eaten healthily for those 2 months. Lets face it if you'd eaten badly for 2 months you still would have gone out and had a crazy weekend so you'd be far worse off than you are now.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    You'll be fine.
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    The only way you'll have blown your diet is if you lose faith now. :) It's one weekend, it won't kill you. And the beauty of the matter is tomorrow is a new day and therefore a new start!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    We've all had similar days. While we obviously shouldnt be looking forward to such actions, its only human we do it. Pick yourself up, and start moving to burn those calories off!

Also, keep record of what you ate. The good. The bad. The Ugly. All of it. This way you feel more accountable about what you're gonna do next time you're about to binge. Also, this whole lifestyle change is about changing your habits, habits including lying to yourself (yes, not recording bad days is lying to yourself)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Drama!

Its only over when you quit.

Your ticker says you have lost 10-15 lbs already, did you really eat 35000 cals over your allowance in one weekend?
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    did you really eat 35000 cals over your allowance in one weekend?

No, she said 12,000.
    35,000 would have you eating crap non-stop, lol.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    did you really eat 35000 cals over your allowance in one weekend?

No, she said 12,000.
    35,000 would have you eating crap non-stop, lol.

Yep i saw, 35000 is what it would take to regain 10lbs.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    12000 calories in 3 days is 4000 calories a day and about a 3-4 pound weight gain if you actually gained any weight at all. Trust me, You'll Live.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Tomorrow is a new day, and at least you've been so good for so long.
    It's what you do 80% of the time that counts!
    Be good !
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Strike it off and carry on. If you put on 4lb or even more, you put it on in 3 days..it will fall off within a week maximum. I put on 8lb between Christmas and the beginning of work in January. I'd lost it within 9 days so I think you'll be ok ;) I had like 5000 cals a day for over a week as well!

Besides do you think we've not ALL had a weekend when we've not been able to be as strict as we wanted? I've just seen someone's diary on my wall, he had a stag do a couple of weeks ago..should see the cals on that badboy!
  • Cntewell
    Cntewell Posts: 35
    Definitely did not blow it. Don't be so hard on yourself. Pick yourself and get back on the wagon today with good food choices. Add a couple of extra sessions of cardio this week to compensate for the extra calories.
  • richelliott1
    richelliott1 Posts: 27 Member
    Don't look at it as a diet but a lifestyle change. I think if you cut out everything you enjoy, or even go out and not let your hair down then whats the point?

The whole idea is to make changes that are the rule and not the exception. 1 bad weekend isn't going to do any damage, how you react to it will.

Good week of workouts and you'll be fine.

As my trainer would say "man up"
  • star87cc
    star87cc Posts: 63
    Its not a diet its a 'healthy lifestyle choice' and you let your hair down for the weekend, today is a new day so dont be so hard on yourself its not like you can now never make a healthy choice again this is life :)

I went away for a hen weekend with a load of friends and I was going to be so careful about everything I ate and drank, but its not easy in a different environment and I figured I'd let my hair down and enjoy myself, its the first time this year I've let go like that... I ate crisps, chocolate, cookies, fish & chips, tapas, greek meze's, sausage rolls, maccy d's, all you can eat breakfasts both mornings jees this list is going on... and more alcohol than I care to imagine... I had an AMAZING weekend!

With no fear I stood on the scale this morning and had gained 2.5lb ... no sweat, maybe a week or two to get back to my prior hen weekend weight... but it doesnt compare to the fun and great memories I have of this weekend just gone :)

However, I was looking forward to being back into my routine of good food, drink and workouts... why? because I've learnt good habits :) and that is the biggest NSV for me :)

Good luck! and chin up! :)
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    No need to be overly dramatic. You might feel like crap right now but a few days of lousy eating do not cancel out months of being healthy. Even if you have put ALL of the weight back on you still haven't lost the fact that you developed good habits, that you know what you need to do to experience success and that you are a lot healthier than you would have been if you hadn't eaten healthily for those 2 months. Lets face it if you'd eaten badly for 2 months you still would have gone out and had a crazy weekend so you'd be far worse off than you are now.

2nd this.
  • This helped a LOT, thanks for that! You're right...an amazing weekend and now i'm back to the healthy lifestyle i've come to love :)

I know people think i'm being a drama queen but I was actually really upset. Thanks for the support and perspective though, :) MFP is really my only social support system so I appreciate you all :)
  • I blew my diet last night and feel like crap!!! I have been doing so good for 5 months and now this. I know to get back on track but why do I feel so bad?? Headache, hot flashes, and want to stay in bed.

I like how I feel when exercising and eating right much better than this.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    OH MY GOSH!!! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!

okay, maybe not.

You can recognize that you didn't do something so awesome and get yourself back on track.

Your body isn't going to hold onto all of those calories anyway.

The best thing you can do is try to understand what triggered the binge. Maybe you need to incorporate a weekly cheat meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Don't trip! Just move forward. Eat about 100 calories less each day for a week and chalk the rest up.