Children and snacking

I don't have kids (can't, unfortunately). But I do spend a lot of time with my nieces and nephews, some of whom are overweight, like many of their generation.

One thing I notice is that they are given snacks...all day. I rode in my sister's van recently and she mentioned how she needed to get it detailed because of the kids' snacks crumbs and spilled juice and milk. My niece is served a snack at everything she attends - girl scouts, bible study, etc. They are sent to school with snacks in their bag for the bus.

When I was a kid, my Dad would flip out if we ate in the car (unless it was a long trip.) We were given a small snack at home after school but that was it. God forbid we spoil our appetites for dinner! But, when nieces and nephews are at my house, they expect snacks all day long , in addition to regular meals, and something to eat before bedtime.

Is this constant feeding typical of today's parenting?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Yes I give my kid snacks, but please don't tell child services.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    We don't snack at all at my house. My child would never choose veggies over a carb (Pirate's Booty, pretzels, crackers, etc) so we don't have any snacks at all. He eats three balanced meals and eats a lot more different types of veggies than most kids his age.

That being said, I do allow him to eat his lunch in the car on the way home from preschool, so his juice / water blend and crumbs ARE an issue. :/
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Me, too. Shhh!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member

THIS!!!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Depends for us..we allow snacks for our 5 year old daughter because she would flat out spin out between meals if she didn't have something to eat. Super high metabolism or something. However if we see she is getting into a habit of wanting to snack and not eat her meals then we cut back on the snacking until she's eating the main meals again. I don't normally mind snacks however because it is fruits and veggies, yogurt, healthy stuff...not white carb crap all the time.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    My daughter can eat all day long like that. I actually think if they were provide HEALTHY snacks its actually better than the way I was raised (also 3 meals & 1 snack...well until I was old enough to rummage through the kitchen).

When they are at your house just have a lot of fruit and veggies on hand already cut up (maybe some hummus if they like it for dipping...) and if they want to snack, tell them they can eat as much of that as they please.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    I actually have to add a serious post here. My son has pretty severe ADHD and ODD. You know what one of the biggest things I have found that helps with his symptoms?
    Making sure he gets some protein at regular intervals throughout the day - meaning that he gets a snack in the morning and the afternoon.
    Believe me when I say you would not want to deal with him if he didn't get those.
    Also, he's always been a bit chubby but, since I started making sure he got some nutritious snacks throughout the day, he's actually leaned out quite a bit.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    I've noticed that a lot of the time with people my age (I'm 29), they seem to be giving their kids snacks for the wrong reasons- not because the child is expressing hunger, but because it's a quick way to keep a kid quiet, or because ice cream fixes all of life's problems. Of course I don't think this applies to everyone, just something I've noticed.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    We do a morning snack and an afternoon snack, Breakfast 6:30 am snack at 8:45, lunch 11:15 Snack 2:30, dinner 6 bed! This schedule is partially due to preschool times..
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    I give my kids snacks but they hardly ever ask for them. They DO ask for m&ms, candy and cookies and i tell them no, we don't have any, want an apple and they say no, thanks and then wait until the next meal. sometimes at night they like a bag of pretzels or a yogurt or a apple but once in a while.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    We have snacks at our house. The daycare serves snacks. I think she is REQUIRED to. 2 sit-down snacks a day. No grazing. They also often have dessert....
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Yep. Fortunately most kids like to eat and snack so they can thrive and grow. Of course it's healthier when they also are active throughout the day.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Depends for us..we allow snacks for our 5 year old daughter because she would flat out spin out between meals if she didn't have something to eat. Super high metabolism or something. However if we see she is getting into a habit of wanting to snack and not eat her meals then we cut back on the snacking until she's eating the main meals again. I don't normally mind snacks however because it is fruits and veggies, yogurt, healthy stuff...not white carb crap all the time.

This for me as well. I have two 3 year olds who are always asking for snacks. So they get some type of fruit or veggie snack usually 2-3 times a day on top of breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think some of it has to do with growth spurts too though. The're little eating machines when they go through a growth spurt.

• When they are at your house just have a lot of fruit and veggies on hand already cut up (maybe some hummus if they like it for dipping...) and if they want to snack, tell them they can eat as much of that as they please.

this
  • Fairysoul
    Oh and my scheduling was reccomended by a dietician, a good portion of small childrens nutrtion is from snacks... We make sure to have healthy un packaged snacks, like fruit! None of those sugary junk foods.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    I noticed my daughter putting on weight at eight years old. I had a roommate and her daughter move in and all they did was eat. They had ice cream in the house and soda, which I never kept. When they were gone, everything went back to normal and the only option I give her if she wants a snack is a piece of fruit and it works. :wink:
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    I have 2 snacks a day, so i dont mind my daughter having a snack.

ETA*
    or multiple snackS for that matter :)
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    My daughted (4) has a healthy snack of fruit, raisins or cheese between lunch 12'ish & tea 5'ish so that her mood doesn't crash BUT she never eats in the car & doesn't snack on junk.

Russ
  • Fairysoul

When they are at your house just have a lot of fruit and veggies on hand already cut up (maybe some hummus if they like it for dipping...) and if they want to snack, tell them they can eat as much of that as they please.

this
    Agreed!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    I give my kids (2 & 4) a snack at home. It may be a little pouch of fruit snacks, pretzels, granola bar, piece of cheese, grapes, etc. not in the car.........their drinks are water, milk, juice. My daughter is allowed a small pop with her dinner out 2x per month, my son is 2 and he's not having it. They may have a candy and popped corn at the movies, but they know that it is a "treat". I grew up in a house full of love and hugs and lots of goodies............my motto is......if they don't see it, they won't know to miss it:)