When's the best time to weigh yourself?

My weight varies so much throughout the day and it's very frustrating. I want to weigh myself once a week, but when should that be? Before supper? I don't like weighing myself when I wake up because I don't feel like it's an accurate number in relation to the rest of the day. What do you think??

:happy:

Replies

• jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    My weight varies so much throughout the day and it's very frustrating. I want to weigh myself once a week, but when should that be? Before supper? I don't like weighing myself when I wake up because I don't feel like it's an accurate number in relation to the rest of the day. What do you think??

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Well "they" say to weigh yourself first thing in the morning for the most accurate weight. That is when I do it and that is when I see a loss. If I weighed myself any other time, it would be hard to really see my progress since weight really fluctuates during the day.

If you don't want to do it then, maybe before bed?
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    I do it in the morning too. After I've gone to the bathroom and before I've eaten anything.
  • lina1131
    I do it in the morning too. After I've gone to the bathroom and before I've eaten anything.

For me it's more like, when I wake up, after I have used the bathroom, stripped all my clothes off, made sure every possible thing that could add an ounce to the scale is off my body, and then double checked that I don't need to use the bathroom again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member

For me it's more like, when I wake up, after I have used the bathroom, stripped all my clothes off, made sure every possible thing that could add an ounce to the scale is off my body, and then double checked that I don't need to use the bathroom again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

haha!
    Same here. That's what I just did! And I swear, (this may be too much info), but I swear, I'm full of s--t! literally! I already went twice this morning! See that must account for what?..... 5 pounds:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • The best time is in morning, after the bathroom, before eating. This is because its really the only way to ensure that you are getting comparable weights each time. Otherwise there are too many other factors to take into account and you aren't able to compare your weights every week. The weight you get might not be similar to the weights you get during other times of the day but its the best way to compare.
  • meme2018
    meme2018 Posts: 241 Member
    I agree the first thing in the morning. That's when I see the best results.:drinker: :drinker:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    I've always been under the impression that it doesn't matter WHEN you weigh just as long as you're consistent with it.
    Its really whatever works best for you!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I agree with Caroline. I don't keep a scale in my house so I weigh at the gym.. I'd be on it all the time if I did. I go on Sunday mornings around 9-10 - so after breakfast. I think as long as you're consistent in when you weigh yourself it should be pretty accurate.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    I've always been under the impression that it doesn't matter WHEN you weigh just as long as you're consistent with it.

I am a firm believer in first thing in the morning weigh-ins. Everything that you do or eat or drink during the day affects your weight and unless you eat, drink and exercise the same way every day, you won't be able to judge your progress as efficiently. Just my two cents:smile:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Should be first thing in the am. Remember that every 16 oz of water you drink weighs 1 lb. If you've had extra water that day, or are wearing heavier clothes or haven't peed as much or had more sodium that usual at lunch all that will add to your weight. The only accurate weight of you - just you - not water, food, clothing, etc., is first thing in the a.m., no clothes, after elimination. JMO :smile:
  • jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    Thanks for all the thoughts...I do believe I'll be weighing myself this Friday morning to see where I'm at! :bigsmile:
  • lina1131
    Just wanted to pop in here and mention that last night before bed I weighed 190 and this morning when i woke up I weighed 185. First time I have seen a 5 lb difference, so yes, it is possible!