to fat to exersize

Replies

• djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    I was the same way, but screw them. You're doing this for you. I always say if "they don't like what they see, they should stop looking". Just keep moving. People should be less judgemental and if they are take a good, honest look at themselves before judging others. Part of the problem is what society's image of the ideal person should look like. There are too many factors involved that can affect your physical appearance(genetics, environment, etc.). Just do what is right for you!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    I volunteered last year at a 5K race. Pretty small, only a few hundred people. So most of them were pretty hardcore. My daughters and I worked the finish line food tables. By the time things were almost over, we had to leave. On our way out, we passed the finish line, where the last person was finishing. She was a really large woman, who walked the course. It was her first race of any kind. Her entire family was waiting for her at the finish line. The kids had balloons, and her husband had this big batch of roses. People had gathered round to cheer her on. There was screaming, and cheering, and yelling, and clapping, while she just cried and hugged her family. It was one of the greatest race day moments I've ever seen, and I was grateful I got to experience it. With my kids, no less.

In the running community, people who have to struggle to accomplish what comes easily to most are considered heroes. Sometimes of epic stature. For every shmuck who bothers you while you're training, you'll get back 10fold people on race day who cheer you, congratulate you, tell you how inspiring you are. And every one of them will mean it too.
    What a great story...almost started welling a bit when I read it. Thanks so much for sharing! And you're right...the longer I've kept up the running & even started considering myself A Runner, the more support I find from every other runner I encounter.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    I volunteered last year at a 5K race. Pretty small, only a few hundred people. So most of them were pretty hardcore. My daughters and I worked the finish line food tables. By the time things were almost over, we had to leave. On our way out, we passed the finish line, where the last person was finishing. She was a really large woman, who walked the course. It was her first race of any kind. Her entire family was waiting for her at the finish line. The kids had balloons, and her husband had this big batch of roses. People had gathered round to cheer her on. There was screaming, and cheering, and yelling, and clapping, while she just cried and hugged her family. It was one of the greatest race day moments I've ever seen, and I was grateful I got to experience it. With my kids, no less.

In the running community, people who have to struggle to accomplish what comes easily to most are considered heroes. Sometimes of epic stature. For every shmuck who bothers you while you're training, you'll get back 10fold people on race day who cheer you, congratulate you, tell you how inspiring you are. And every one of them will mean it too.

Dayum. I'm in tears here.
    What a fabulous story!
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Ignore people. I know that may seem difficult. But really, would someone say something to you? No.
    And where might people think less of you...
    1) being overweight and sitting in eating at a McDonald's
    or
    2) taking a jog down the road
    I have never, not once in my whole life, thought poorly of any size person getting some exercise. That's ridiculous. Someone who would judge another for trying to better themselves really needs to take a good hard look in the mirror.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    If you get out of your own head, one day you can have pictures like this to be proud of:
    10k-finish.jpg

I admire you for letting your awesome self shine through!
  • Taitiant
    Taitiant Posts: 65
    I feel the same way when i ride my bike, or TRY to jogg outside.. Your not alone, but REMEMBER it Doesnt matter what they think... If you actually think about it, they will probably See you running, jogging what ever and say to them selfs" Hell yea shes doin it" When i see someone a bit larger outside being active i wana join em, and tell them WTG,hell they motivate me! Dont let the FEAR bring you down. You will feel self concious, and thats ok, just stick with it, and Believe in your self..

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY!! YOU GOT THIS!!! :flowerforyou:

16512618.png
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Well, you really shouldn't care about what other ppl think. That being said, I know this is harder said than done...

So, try working out from home? I use tons of free workouts online...ZWOW and Bodyrock posts tons of free vids on youtube... Try those from the comfort of your living room/bedroom/basement, etc. Go for runs at night when it is dark (where reflective clothing, go with a friend, or bring your dog).

No excuses! You can do it. :)
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    I ran a 1/2 marathon yesterday and saw alot of overweight people, I was proud of them for getting out there and doing it. You can't care what other people think. I think a majority would say good for him/her. If you really want some awesome support for running find your communities local running group, become a member, then sign up for a 5k and you will be amazed at the support. I love running. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    when I started running, I was almost 300 lbs, I was never worried people would make fun of me or laugh at me, I alway think I inspire every last person who sees me....I envision them saying...wow look at her!! If she can do it so can I!! haha, and now after a year of running it doesn't even faze me anymore.

This is so true! I am ALWAYS inspired by atypical runners. I'm a whiner at heart, so when I see someone older than me, or heavier than me, or trying to run with a dog even crazier than mine I tell myself to shut the hell up and just run already.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member

Dayum. I'm in tears here.
    What a fabulous story!
    The running community ROCKS
  • bmarie612
    bmarie612 Posts: 221 Member
    Last time I tried to go running at night I twisted my ankle on a rock BAD... and now I feel like I will never be able to run again and that was in January!!! So running in the dark may not be the best idea :(
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Here's my suggestion, get in ipod of a MP3 Player, blast it as loud as you'd like, hold your head up high, and do what you have to/want to do. I'm 5'7" and 224lbs (16 stone), my highest being 252lbs (18 stone) I was still made fun of at some point though not in extremes. My point is, people get made fun of big or small, it's something you have to hold your head high to and think or tell them to **** OFF. :) You've decided to do something about your weight and that's the best decision you will ever make. So put that ipod/mp3 player on so you can't hear any negativity and go about your way. They should respect that at least you're trying to get healthy. It works! Even when guys try and hit on you, you can't hear them with your ipod on now can ya? Same with people saying mean things, just don't look at them and go about your way.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    put it this way: Do you ever laugh at people or judge them when you see them exercising and they are overweight?

Very good point! :D
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    When I see an overweight person exercising and making good choices, I feel happy that they're doing something good for themselves. Anyone who want to make fun of a person (overweight or otherwise) for making healthy decisions is a first class douche bag and their opinion doesn't matter.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Girl, just get out there and DO it. You'll feel so much better about yourself, and after losing just a tiny bit of weight, your self esteem will soar, and you'll be even more motivated to get out there. If you're really too embarrassed to go out in public & run, then there are other options: 1.) I used to run/walk on a rails-to-trails trail near my house. No one else was ever on it, so I wasn't so scared of being seen. 2.) I'm way into the Biggest Loser workout vids. Some of them really kick my *kitten*. They have a power walk one that's lower impact for beginners, and a weight-loss yoga one that is also lower impact. They're GREAT, and they have levels so that you can increase the impact as you get used to them. I also have the cardio max one (which I'm pretty sure has almost killed me a few times) and the bootcamp one, which I LOVE. They're cheap on Amazon (like $5-8). Or use things you have around your house. Go up and down the stairs a bunch of times. Use your body weight to exercise...wall push-ups, or squats. I try to do 50 random lunges a day. Saying you're too fat to exercise is an excuse (sorry, I hope that doesn't hurt your feelings!)...tell yourself NO MORE EXCUSES (lol, anyone else watching Biggest Loser this season??!) and find ways to get yourself healthier. I'm telling you, I used to breathe heavily for no random reason, and was scared to bits about trying to get fit. I needed to lose about 80-100 lbs. Now, I'm only down about 30, but I feel worlds better. I just signed up for my first 5K, and I know I'm going to be jiggly and doing some freaky open-mouthed gasping for air and super sweaty, but dammit, I'm gonna get out there and RUN and stumble and shuffle to the best of my ability. If I come in last, I'm still going to cross that finish line with a fierce sense of complete victory. You CAN DO THIS. You really can. The only thing holding you back is your self. Best of luck to you! I really hope you get to the place in your mind where you commit. It took me years to get to this point, and now that I have, I boggle every day over how easy it all is now that I've made up my mind to just DO IT. Feel free to friend me if you want...I'm all about mutual motivation!! :) Go, girl, go!!!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    At some point in time you have to stop caring what other may be thinking and make it more about you and getting healthy. The one thing you will have to come to terms with, is the fact that no matter how much weight you lose the fat person mentality probably will never go away. I started my journey home bound for over 2 years, unable to walk from room to room (had a computer chair I ripped the back off of to roll myself from my recliner to the bathroom or kitchen.) At 560 lbs. the last thing i wanted to do was go out in public and see anyone and be judged... But the one thing you have to do is stop saying no to everything and start saying yes..... No matter how much it takes you out of your comfort zone. I had to start my journey in the pool (cause I was unable to walk) so I spent 18 months in the pool walking before I had lost enough weight (175 lbs.) to be fitted with braces and walk on land. You have to concentrate on you and not what others are doing or thinking and to tell you the truth the one thing I have come to realize is everyone else is dealing with their own issues and alot are worrying about the same things I am...And just remember no amount of weight will ever cure you of some of these feeling. I have lost 303 lbs. and still am dealing with self image cause I still see the fat guy I once was................. You just have to make the decision, is it worth more to me to be healthy and fat free no matter what I may think other are thinking or do I want to be trapped in my fat world......Only you can make that decision for yourself.............. Goodluck......

I just had to comment on the 303 lbs lost! WOW AMAZING! I hope I can get a huge number lost like you someday!
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    do you have any gaming systems? The WII, Xbox and PS3 have great excersise and dance cd's this is how I keep in shape. I can burn up to 300 calories in 30 minutes doing this. You might want to try that first. Plus who cares what people think this should be all about you. When I see an overweight person walking or running outside I have so much respect for them. You have to start somewhere.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with running, no matter WHAT your size!!! :happy: heck, anytime I see someone running/walking I'm always like, "YOU GO GIRL/BOY!!!" I LOVE to get out and walk when it's really nice outside, but haven't gotten to the point of actually RUNNING yet... I really feel like I'm a little too heavy for my feet to support my weight, so until I get to a smaller weight, I prefer the power walking, myself. But there are times when I do feel like just taking off like Forrest Gump and running like a crazy person... :wink: :laugh:

I actually had a doctor tell me that power walking is better for you than running...
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Seriously, phuck people. And their hang ups. It is your life. And you can live it however you want to. Seriously, if you cannot leave the house to run, then run in the house. There are walking and running programs that you can do with a dvd. I use Leslie Sansone (www.walkathome.com) and an all over body DVD from beachbody (50 minute or 30 minute Shakeology) . And I go to a gym. I was terrified to go to the gym. SO I took MFP's with me. Logged on when I got there, as I was using the machines and when I left. It helped me to remember that I am not alone. And I have the right to workout however I please, where ever I please.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Don't worry about what other people thing:
    1. Other runners are too busy concentrating on themselves to care about what you look like
    2. If you're worried about people who aren't running thinking badly of you- don't worry about it! Bottom line- you're doing something that's good for your body, and they're not :)

I struggled with the same issue. The first few times I ran, I ran around a soccer field, at this time of year, they are pretty empty. Once I got more confident, I could run around the small lake close to where I live, where all the other runners go.