Replacing peanut butter... ideas?

Currently I'm in love with an apple cut into wedges and smearing it with peanut butter. Or I also like peanut butter on my rice cake. Even though I adore it, the cals/ fat is just too much of a wallop.

Any ideas of what to use as a sweet- salty snack rather than peanut butter?

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Currently I'm in love with an apple cut into wedges and smearing it with peanut butter. Or I also like peanut butter on my rice cake. Even though I adore it, the cals/ fat is just too much of a wallop.

Any ideas of what to use as a sweet- salty snack rather than peanut butter?

Also needs to be as low in sugar as peanut butter is (3-5 grams per serving... ish)
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Those are really healthy snacks: good fats, protein, some fibre.

Just make sure you buy the all-natural PB with no added sugar and salt, and weigh the amount of PB you use.

It's a great snack, and actually recommended by many diet plans!
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    i LOVE peanut butter and allow myself a civilised portion at least every second day. I wouldn't touch the rice cake because it's got such a high GI though!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    You can get natural versions of nut butters which are much more beneficial to you as literally all they contain is the ground nuts. I recently found almond and hazelnut butters which are really lovely and have a stronger taste meaning you use less.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    when it comes to me and peanut butter, a 'civilized portion' doesn't exist - I always go over the top with it, so definitely keeping my eye on this threat, in case any good alternatives come up.

with my rice crackers and rice cakes I like to have them with salsa, or (weirdly) mustard. Mustard actually goes really well with apple slices too. As does fat free cream cheese, which is probably my favorite thing to cook with and use at all opportunities haha.

maybe try making your own peanut butter? depending on where you live, from some sports/health stores you can buy a powdered form of peanut butter, and it has half the calories and apparently tastes just the same.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    ever heard of pb2?
  • loriduff1
    loriduff1 Posts: 2 Member
    I have the same love of peanut butter and have been known to chow it out of the jar... Have you tried this product called PB2, it's in the health food and high end grocery stores. They have it on Amazon too. It's 85% less fat but may satisfy the craving for PB.
    http://www.amazon.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-Calories/dp/B002GJ9JWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331459662&sr=8-1

I also found another food substitute that gives me something similar in terms of quelling hunger. That is Chobani nonfat yogurt. It has the same creamy consistency and tastes good too. I wonder if mixing in some PB2 would simulate peanut butter. Just thought of it.... will let you know! Good luck. Let us know if you find a better food substitute..
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Peanut butter is one of the healthiest fats out there, why would you want to give it up?
  • Just-Great-Stuff-PB.jpg
    i recently bought this, it's amazing.

but you should really just take the calorie hit and buy this one, it's REALLY amazing ;)
    white_chocolate_PB_vegan_store_shop_vivagranola.jpg
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    http://bellplantation.com/

I just ordered pb2.... A fraction on the fat and cals... I ordered mine through amazon

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13
    Value and % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1.5 g  3%
    Saturated fat 0 g  0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg  0%
    Sodium 94 mg  4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g  2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g  8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Chocolate PB2
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 10
    Value and % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1 g  1.5%
    Saturated fat 0 g  0%
    Trans fat <0.01 g
    Cholesterol <0.01 mg  0%
    Sodium 70 mg  3%
    Total carbohydrate 6 g  2%
    Dietary fiber 1 g  4%
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 4 g
    Vitamin A <1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 2%
  • Almond butter! :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I use raw almond butter unsalted.
  • TerriKate0308
    TerriKate0308 Posts: 15 Member
    I love these ideas. I too love peanut butter and eat it almost everyday also. I was just looking on Amazon and found a whipped peanut butter (i think substitute) called Walden Farms calorie free peanut butter. It claims to be calorie free, fat free and carb free. Hmmmmm. I'm going to have to look into this one.
  • kwrecks
    kwrecks Posts: 82 Member
    I also vote for PB2 - it's amazing! You can make it into peanut butter just by adding water to the powder, but it's good for so many other things! I put it in my oatmeal, along with some chocolate chips, I've put it in smoothies, in cookies. It's amazing stuff!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    Peanut butter is one of the healthiest fats out there, why would you want to give it up?

^ this. I love peanut butter, have no plans on giving anything up.
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    you can also make your own! just buy the roasted unsalted peanuts and put them in the food processor. perfect healthy pb with no added ingredients and much less expensive than buying the same thing.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member

The calories man, the calories.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Don't! Just make sure it's natural with no added sugar and oil. The only ingredient should be peanuts and salt.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Peanut butter is worth every delicious gram of fat and every calorie. It's heaven in a spoon.

I would never replace it, although I will begrudgingly let you know that PB2 is fairly decent. Not the same, but decent.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    I just purchased PB2 yesterday and loved it. Its on the spendy side $, but worth it.