question

Does drinking water actually help you loose weight? I know that question has been circulating around this board since I've started back in Jan. In the begining, I was drinking "all" my water (8 cups) each day, :drinker: I was not loosing anything in fact I gained a couple of pounds. I started what is known as the yo-yo diet. Loosing, gaining, loosing, gaining, gaining, gaining, oh lost some, gained it back. .. etc.
Lately I've been really busy and have not had time to drink all my water (the 8 cups). On some days I did not drink anything. I'v noticed weightloss and it stays off.

So, now I'm begining to wonder if water is actually good for weight loss. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Does drinking water actually help you loose weight? I know that question has been circulating around this board since I've started back in Jan. In the begining, I was drinking "all" my water (8 cups) each day, :drinker: I was not loosing anything in fact I gained a couple of pounds. I started what is known as the yo-yo diet. Loosing, gaining, loosing, gaining, gaining, gaining, oh lost some, gained it back. .. etc.
    Lately I've been really busy and have not had time to drink all my water (the 8 cups). On some days I did not drink anything. I'v noticed weightloss and it stays off.

So, now I'm begining to wonder if water is actually good for weight loss. Any suggestions?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    not per-se. From all I've read on sites like WebMD and NEJOM, it helps to keep the body at the right level of water though, which helps keep the body chemistry right, so that all the normal ways a body would burn calories are available. Being dehydrated shorten's muscle fatigue. It also has adverse affects on the blood stream and can cause it to take longer to deliver energy to the body.
  • I'm not sure on the exact scientific reasons why it might help, but for me I use it to satisfy food cravings. Quite often your body will be thirsty but we read it as hunger, causing us to overeat.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    YES, your body must have water to metabolize fat.! That is why it is recommended for weight loss to drink 6-8 cups per day. It also help with waste removal, give you energy, and is great for your skin. Any food made by God is essential in some way to our body. Manmade foods are harmful to our bodies. Just remember that. I have a degree in Health, Wellness and Nutrition. It also true that it does stabalize our chemical processes, so if they are off, then an organ will not be healthy. Their are other reasons why you are gaining; not from water.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    I'm not really sure but I drink a little bit of orange juice, a little bit of milk, and a whole lot of water and I have to tell you I've never felt better. I've lost weight but I don't know if the water has a lot to do with it. I just know that my body loves me for drinking water. I'm never thirsty and I feel like I have way more energy.