I don't get it...WHY do I want to eat my exercise calories??

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    You can always count on someone saying that if you don't eat back your exercise calories you will end up losing muscle instead of fat. My guess is that excess muscle is not a problem that a lot of us have on this web-site, while excess fat is.

But most peoples goal is to lose fat, not just weight, they equate fat loss with weight loss but if you don't fuel your body properly you may end up skinny fat (thin with a high BF%, and look good with cloths on, but not off)
  • erickirb
    I earn around 2000 extra calories a week through exercise and i choose not to use them ...Regardless of sensible explanations i too do not see the point ,

Im loving the plan and i think not eating them is helping me shift the weight quicker , Each to there own i say good luck :wink:

The MFP plan is to eat them, if you are not then you are not following the "plan".
  • micheledarling
    micheledarling Posts: 18 Member
    god i could never imagine NOT wanting to eat every single calorie i'm allowed!! :tongue:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Somebody 'splain to me like I'm 6.

Because we say so. And that's it, no more discussion :tongue:

Haha, thanks Mom! :)

OK, I guess I understand it now. I still don't like it....sigh

you have a lot of weight to lose like I do, trust the process, eat the calories and nobody gets hurt, lol
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    You need to have at least 1100-1200 net calories or your body will think it's starving. It can just be one day out of the week too.

You don't have to eat them all back. It is nice some days to be able to do that if you are going out to eat. But I just try to keep it around 1200 net. It's really helped with some of my meal planning and allowing me some of the things I love. You don't feel deprived or starved.
  • gawahzee
    gawahzee Posts: 5
    correct ... but only if you are not in a caloric defecit already.

example,
    you are eating 2000 calories a day and burn 500 --> YAY! we don't eat these calories back.
    If you are eating 1500 a day (with a 500 cal defecit already built in) and then you burn 500 calories, you essenstially are only eating a 1000 cal/day ... YIKES!! .... so, you are safe to eat 500 cal back.

Everybody is different, but for the most part, too little calories can equal a hault in oyur metabolism and energy usage. Our bodies were designed for famin, not excess. If the body detects starvation, it will do whatever it can to conserve calories .. ie slow metabolism.

Just so you know, I graduated from ASU with a Bachelors in Nutrition.

Best wishes
  • natyts
    natyts Posts: 89 Member
    I earn around 2000 extra calories a week through exercise and i choose not to use them ...Regardless of sensible explanations i too do not see the point ,

Im loving the plan and i think not eating them is helping me shift the weight quicker , Each to there own i say good luck :wink:

The MFP plan is to eat them, if you are not then you are not following the "plan".

I'm loving the "plan" although i choose to follow it how i like its my guide not my Master !
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    My Doctor and Dietician both say you don't eat back your calories you work off.

I found this post very informative.
  • gawahzee
    gawahzee Posts: 5

example,
    you are eating 2000 calories a day and burn 500 --> YAY! we don't eat these calories back.
    If you are eating 1500 a day (with a 500 cal defecit already built in) and then you burn 500 calories, you essenstially are only eating a 1000 cal/day ... YIKES!! .... so, you are safe to eat 500 cal back.

Everybody is different, but for the most part, too little calories can equal a hault in oyur metabolism and energy usage. Our bodies were designed for famin, not excess. If the body detects starvation, it will do whatever it can to conserve calories .. ie slow metabolism.

Best wishes
  • natyts
    natyts Posts: 89 Member

example,

Best wishes

Nice Advice
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

I found this post very informative.

Was it explained to the doctor and dietician that you were alreday eating to a deficit ?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206951-asked-my-trainer-re-eating-back-calories
  • bump
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Somebody 'splain to me like I'm 6. I thought the point of exercise was to BURN the calories, why on earth would I want to cancel that out?

Long story short:

Your body burns 1,200 calories a day (different for each person) and that's if you lay in bed and someone feeds you through a straw. You need at least that.

When you exercise more, you burn more calories.

If you go into a deficit, like lets say you burn 500 calories, and you only eat 1,200 thats 700 calories.

Your body will hold onto your fat for dear life as it thinks that it's not getting enough food to fuel it.

So, by eating your 1,700 calories, your body will be like "well, I am getting enough food, no use to hang on to this fat anymore"
  • funny,funny,funny....i used to spalin it that way sometimes to my children also. (because i said so was used more than once). Also i have the experience so just trust me was a good answer
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Ill probably get some back lash for this... i dont eat back all of my exercise calories, sometimes i will but most of the time i dont!

Do what feels right for you, but please do not starve yourself. :-)

Good Luck!

xx

I typically don't either. It seems to be counter productive if I were to do that. If I'm in maintenance mode that's a different thing but right now I'm not. It seems to be working for me as well as my husband.

The only time I eat back my calories is when I know I"m going to over indulge. I see it as a "reserve tank" on that day. LOL.

The less you have to lose, such as yourself, the more important it is to eat them back to ensure your deficit is not too large. A large deficit will lead to a large % of lean muscle loss along with the fat. With the amount you have to lose your goal should be 0.5lbs/week (250 cal/day deficit) and eat back all the cals from exercise, assuming they are accurate). This along with adequate protein and a strength training program will lead to the least amount of lean muscle loss as you lose weight, meaning it may take longer to get to your goal weight but you will be a lower BF%, look better, and be stronger at that weight.

Im not one for all these protein shakes and stuff, but when you say 'adequate protein' how much and what are we talkign here? Because ive noticed sometimes i can go over my protein? Thanks

I use it as a reserve tank too! especially if i know im going to have a bad day/weekend ahead, so sometimes times ill check my average net calroies for the whole week!

xx
  • clairabell2024

I'm loving the "plan" although i choose to follow it how i like its my guide not my Master !

Well said!

When i signed up to the MFP their was no Do's and Dont's... thus we have these types of threads asking for advice not people dictating others.

x
  • erickirb

Well said!

When i signed up to the MFP their was no Do's and Dont's... thus we have these types of threads asking for advice not people dictating others.

x

We are not dictating we are informing of how MFP is set up and designed. If people want to do it there way fine, but be warned that if you don't eat enough you will end up most likely unhealthy and skinny fat.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member

Well said!

x

We are not dictating we are informing of how MFP is set up and designed. If people want to do it there way fine, but be warned that if you don't eat enough you will end up most likely unhealthy and skinny fat.

QFT

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390145-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories
  • clairabell2024

Well said!

x

What is Skinny Fat? :-S
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Ummm, you can eat back your exercise calories on TDEE, if and only if, you set yourself as sedentary. I am working it this way, it is my motivation to exercise!