Israel's new law bans overly skinny models

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Yes, I hope banning certain body types will become a trend. Hopefully some races too, no?

+1
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    I vote we ban Israel
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    You are all right. We should let the fashion shops of the world continue to portray an unhealthy image of a woman's body to our young girls, 5% of whom are dealing with an eating disorder.

Theyre only selling it because we buy it!

David, David, David...don't you understand that this is ALL someone else's fault? We can't be responsible for what is happening to our own children. It must be the fault of someone else. There must be someone we can blame!

My goodness, you're right! Now that I think of it, skinny models were to blame for the London riots aswell!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    You are all right. We should let the fashion shops of the world continue to portray an unhealthy image of a woman's body to our young girls, 5% of whom are dealing with an eating disorder.

Theyre only selling it because we buy it!

David, David, David...don't you understand that this is ALL someone else's fault? We can't be responsible for what is happening to our own children. It must be the fault of someone else. There must be someone we can blame!

My goodness, you're right! Now that I think of it, skinny models were to blame for the London riots aswell!

Thank goodness you've come around. I was worried that we would have to, uh, re-educate you. Forcibly. Using the force.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    As a fashion photographer, I have a lot of skinny model friends and love shooting them. They are all great people. I'm not sure why they would be a ban on skinny models though. What criteria are they using to determine whats to skinny? I wouldn't consider any of my skinny model friends unhealthy either. We often have caterings at my shoots and I've almost never seen any of them turn down a sammich. lol

Also, almost every woman that I shoot who isn't skinny requests that I alter the image to make them look thinner. My response to that is that I'm a photographer, not a plastic surgeon. And we are talking about non-models here.

Its funny to me how our society frowns upon both large people and skinny people.

Let me go on record to say I hope they never do a ban of a body type here. I enjoy shooting my tall skinny awkward friends.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Do you think for one mintue they will stop at banning skinny people? No, next they will start looking at the heavy set saying they too are not healthy and start to ban them? It is not up to ANY goverment to ban the size of people...but up to the people to stop BUYING the products that show unhealthy people. If you don't like the models...then don't buy the product they are trying to sell....

Then we can all realize Hitler's dream and have a planet filled with a superior race...... Oh wait, that was a bad thing.......
  • brearune
    brearune Posts: 26
    I was overly skinny, and it had nothing to do with not being healthy... i was healthy, just had a good metabolism. I dont think this is what we need, though i understand the point you're trying to make. UNhealthy weights shouldn't be encouraged, yes.... but how can you judge if it's healthy or not without being in their shoes? how do you know it's not metabolism?
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    How ironic. When they came for the overly skinny models, I said nothing for I was not an overly skinny model.

OFT,
    Once the cut off points are set, they are easily moved. Are there some moral regards that "should" be followed by the producers of mass media? I would say yeah there is, are they always.... no.

Force legislating morality is not the way to do it. Education and a public shift in what is healthy is what it needed. The people drive the market

THIS THIS THIS!!!!

Is it morally responsible to avoid glamorizing overly skinny models or any other morally reprehensible act, yes. Is it the government's place to force that morality, no.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Yes, less freedom is just what the world needs. Sweet fancy Moses. How is this any different than employers discriminating against overweight people? Or the government passing a law that fat people can't be on TV anymore because it glamorizes being fat?

"Overly skinny models" need to make a living, too. And fashion houses that have decided these models are good for their business should be allowed to hire them. Doesn't anyone believe in free market principles anymore?

well said:drinker:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Do you think for one mintue they will stop at banning skinny people? No, next they will start looking at the heavy set saying they too are not healthy and start to ban them? It is not up to ANY goverment to ban the size of people...but up to the people to stop BUYING the products that show unhealthy people. If you don't like the models...then don't buy the product they are trying to sell....
    Because there are so many fat models out there. They really need to be banned!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Then we can all realize Hitler's dream and have a planet filled with a superior race...... Oh wait, that was a bad thing.......
    Again, the irony...

3259067125_14014a8157.jpg

Mein, Fuhrer! I ken valk!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Im ok with this as long as USA's new law bans overweight models.

and if that offends you, but the topic title doesnt... you're a hypocrite.

:smile:
  • Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    I don't see why some people are getting upset about this.. I think this is a good thing.
  • Destinie589
    Destinie589 Posts: 211
    :smile: I hope this is a trend that continues all over the world!
    Why? Because their BMI is unhealthy. Ok.. in that case the overweight models should be banned as well.
  • Do you think for one mintue they will stop at banning skinny people? No, next they will start looking at the heavy set saying they too are not healthy and start to ban them? It is not up to ANY goverment to ban the size of people...but up to the people to stop BUYING the products that show unhealthy people. If you don't like the models...then don't buy the product they are trying to sell....
    Because there are so many fat models out there. They really need to be banned!

Not all models are skinny, and there are indeed quite a few heavier models in the world. I think the point the previous poster was trying to make, is that when we condone the government banning one type of people from the media, what is to stop them from banning other types of people. I really doubt any of you would say a ban on using African American models is a good thing.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    This whole thing is NOT about what is sexy or how good the women looks, It's about HOW GOOD THE CLOTHES LOOK. The fashion industry is around TO SELL CLOTHES. Period. And clothes look "better" (uninfluenced?) on hangers, or people who look like them, which is ridiculous, but that's the way it is! It has NOTHING to do with the people who wear, them, which is a backwards, ridiculous shame.

I think it is a good intention, but I DON'T think that the gov't should have interevened. Obviously, the law is going to be abused, twisted, etc, etc, etc.

Change has to come from the inside of the industry. Models have to start walking away from the pressure to be unhealthy. Audiences have to rebel, be it by protesting or just not going to shows with the ultra thin models.

PEOPLE have to start standing up for what's right; the gov't trying to force it isn't going to be TRUE change. I hate that the government feels that it's role is to protect us from ourselves...
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    OMG, how stupid, the world is getting fatter and we're banning the "overly skinny" model. Nice to see some thin people bashing on here for a change :noway: How much would the same people kick off if they banned fat people from McDonalds?
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    As a fashion photographer, I have a lot of skinny model friends and love shooting them. They are all great people. I'm not sure why they would be a ban on skinny models though. What criteria are they using to determine whats to skinny? I wouldn't consider any of my skinny model friends unhealthy either. We often have caterings at my shoots and I've almost never seen any of them turn down a sammich. lol

Also, almost every woman that I shoot who isn't skinny requests that I alter the image to make them look thinner. My response to that is that I'm a photographer, not a plastic surgeon. And we are talking about non-models here.

Its funny to me how our society frowns upon both large people and skinny people.

Let me go on record to say I hope they never do a ban of a body type here. I enjoy shooting my tall skinny awkward friends.

They are not banning thin women, nor will they ever.

I believe they are banning women with a BMI that would consider them to be in the same range as a doctor would clinically diagnose someone with an eating disorder.

That being said, thin models in the industry are not going any where.
    Unhealthy models are.

I still agree with everyone who says 'if you don't like the look of the model, don't buy the product'

Edit to say: The reason behind doing this is for the safety of the models. They have had many models die from starving themselves from being below a certain bmi. They are not doing it to please the people nor promote healthy body image necessarily, although I am sure they are both ulterior motives.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179

According to the article I read, the models have to have a BMI of at least 18.5 to be able to work as a model. Anything below that is being deemed as too skinny.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member

Force legislating morality is not the way to do it. Education and a public shift in what is healthy is what it needed. The people drive the market

THis

Isn't every law force legislating morality? Murder = bad. Stealing = bad. Speeding = bad. Why? Because they can all hurt someone. I don't agree speeding is bad, but they law says it is, so it is. Forced morals.

Laws SHOULD be in place to protect us from EACH OTHER. Murder = bad, because it HURTS SOMEONE ELSE. Speeding = bad because maybe (stretch!), reckless driving could hurt others. (Which is WHY I take such issue with seatbelt laws. I am NOT hurting anyone else by not wearing one, so BACK the *$(#*#&^) OFF Gov't!!)

Anyhow, the gov'ts TRUE job of protecting society from those that hurt others is WAAAY different than forced morals. However, they coincide with most people's morals because most religions etc also "ban" behavior that hurts others. Don't mix them up, however.

This is why I take issue with this law, because the models CHOOSE to work for and bend to the demands of these ridiculous deisigners....Ya, ya, they need work and there is pressure and all, but I FREQUENTLY read stories about previous models who walked away because they were pressured to be unhealthy (good for them!!). The government is trying to protect people who CHOOSE to work for an employer that is expecting them to behave stupidly (and unhealthily). If you are that dumb/desperate (and are an adult), then I respect your decision and you are welcome to mistreat youreslf, the gov't shouldn't intervene.