HELP! All opinions needed please!

I really really need help deciding. You see, I have been at this thing for nearly a year now and for the last 3 months I have been weight training and trying to eat to the best of my abilities(but that doesn't mean I've done as well as I should). Well, Im not seeing much result in my thighs(not losing much fat or inches) and I just dont get why(plus, Im impatient). Soo, as I start to work on improving my diet, I'm wondering if I should add another day to workout. I already do 3 days over maybe 60-90 min of weight training and 60 min of intense cardio for 2 days of the week. What should I do to see more results with my thighs?

(I'm always looking for more friends, so please friend me if you'd like)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    That already sounds like a pretty intense exercise schedule, if you want to add something else I would make it something a bit more gentle like walking or swimming which still burn calories but aren't as rough on your body.
    If you aren't losing weight - check your calories. You may be eating too little (which can mean that your body tries to hang onto that energy and not let it go) or too much (which would explain not losing weight.
    It can be a tricky balancing act to work out how much to eat when you are exercising, I thnk you just have to experiement to see what works for you. Just change one thing at a time though and try it for a month or so before you decide whether its working or not.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Are you losing fat elsewhere? You can't really choose where it comes from.
  • AlexJourneyHall
    AlexJourneyHall Posts: 137 Member
    Are you losing fat elsewhere? You can't really choose where it comes from.

Well, im not sure I'm losing fat (but pretty sure I am) but at least Im losing inches in my waist and hips.
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    If you're "losing inches in your waist and hips", whatever you're doing is likely working. Be patient? :flowerforyou:

Also, looking back in your food diary these past few days, I see that you are frequently over in your carbs and under in your protein.
    I'm no nutritionist, but if you're looking to build a strong lean body (and from your profile it sounds like you're determined to do just that), maybe you could try replacing some of those carbs with proteins. This would give your muscles something to work with.

In my uneducated opinion, diet plays an awfully big role in your body's ability to sculpt itself.
    Rather than adding more exercise at this point, it may be more beneficial for you to make GRADUAL changes to your diet.

Again, just my opinion. Good luck!
  • AlexJourneyHall
    If you're "losing inches in your waist and hips", whatever you're doing is likely working. Be patient? :flowerforyou:

Also, looking back in your food diary these past few days, I see that you are frequently over in your carbs and under in your protein.
    I'm no nutritionist, but if you're looking to build a strong lean body (and from your profile it sounds like you're determined to do just that), maybe you could try replacing some of those carbs with proteins. This would give your muscles something to work with.

In my uneducated opinion, diet plays an awfully big role in your body's ability to sculpt itself.
    Rather than adding more exercise at this point, it may be more beneficial for you to make GRADUAL changes to your diet.

You're very right. I have been trying to kick my butt to get more protein but it seems like I cant seem to get it and keep up with my schedule. I'm not sure what to do to start getting more protein in my day. The carbs are the easiest to get no matter what I try. I guess I need to start pushing harder
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    alot of processed stuff I notice as well. I'd cut that out as much as I can.

EDIT: Rephrase. Maybe not that much, but the sodium is very high, as the sugar. Cut the carbs (Mostly sugars) and up the protein as a previous poster said. And try and replace the high in sodium stuff with fresher options.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member

You may believe your opinion is uneducated but it's exactly correct in terms of diet.

In terms of what you desire to see in your thighs we need more specifics as to which exercises you are doing for your thighs (quads). Are you training them every day? Every other day? Which exercises are you performing? How much cardio are you performing?

I'm consulting a woman who is having the same issue as you. It seems to be a common problem with numerous women, and it's easy to overcome with diet and the right exercises (duration, frequency, and amount).
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I get what you mean, carbs are a staple that's hard to replace!
    Especially when protein generally costs more :/
    For me, the hardest part with adding protein has been avoiding the fat and sodium that come along with it.
    Whatever you do, I think making changes gradually will help you to adjust and stick to it long term :)

Personally I don't follow a 'high protein' diet, but I have been upping my intake to help balance where my calories come from and to prevent hunger/tiredness at random times.
    Here are some things that have worked for me, and might work for you too!

~ If you can handle lactose, protein shakes are an easy way to add protein to any meal.
    ~ Starkist sells low sodium tuna in single serving pouches. These are great to have on hand for when you get hungry between meals and don't want to reach for the chips/cookies/bread.
    ~ Wal Mart frequently sells frozen chicken breast and tilapia in large 10-12 serving bags, for $6. If you get one of each bag, that's almost enough to cover one meal per day for a month!
    ~ Roasted soy nuts can be bought cheaply in bulk, and are high in protein and 'good' fats.
    ~ Beans are also cheap. They're higher in carbs, but maybe when you eat beans, avoid eating them with bread, rice, and pasta.
    ~ Eggs.
    ~ Consider greek yogurt instead of regular. It is a bit more pricey, but has twice the protein. Food Lion has its own brand of greek yogurt that's pretty affordable!

That's all I got :/
  • AlexJourneyHall

You may believe your opinion is uneducated but it's exactly correct in terms of diet.

In terms of what you desire to see in your thighs we need more specifics as to which exercises you are doing for your thighs (quads). Are you training them every day? Every other day? Which exercises are you performing? How much cardio are you performing?

I'm consulting a woman who is having the same issue as you. It seems to be a common problem with numerous women, and it's easy to overcome with diet and the right exercises (duration, frequency, and amount).

I do squats, deadlifts, single-leg squats, squat jumps, lunges, etc....I train them 5 days a week. And I do 60 min two times a week of intense cardio
  • AlexJourneyHall
    I get what you mean, carbs are a staple that's hard to replace!
    Especially when protein generally costs more :/
    For me, the hardest part with adding protein has been avoiding the fat and sodium that come along with it.
    Whatever you do, I think making changes gradually will help you to adjust and stick to it long term :)

Personally I don't follow a 'high protein' diet, but I have been upping my intake to help balance where my calories come from and to prevent hunger/tiredness at random times.
    Here are some things that have worked for me, and might work for you too!

~ If you can handle lactose, protein shakes are an easy way to add protein to any meal.
    ~ Starkist sells low sodium tuna in single serving pouches. These are great to have on hand for when you get hungry between meals and don't want to reach for the chips/cookies/bread.
    ~ Wal Mart frequently sells frozen chicken breast and tilapia in large 10-12 serving bags, for $6. If you get one of each bag, that's almost enough to cover one meal per day for a month!
    ~ Roasted soy nuts can be bought cheaply in bulk, and are high in protein and 'good' fats.
    ~ Beans are also cheap. They're higher in carbs, but maybe when you eat beans, avoid eating them with bread, rice, and pasta.
    ~ Eggs.
    ~ Consider greek yogurt instead of regular. It is a bit more pricey, but has twice the protein. Food Lion has its own brand of greek yogurt that's pretty affordable!

That's all I got :/

I do some of those things you suggest. I eat eggs almost all the time. i have the frozen meets I just have a difficult time of keeping up with cooking them ahead of time. Greek yogurt I eat basically every other day and I have protein bars and protein powder. But, I will try the starkist thing. The other stuff i've tried but couldnt keep up.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member

I do squats, deadlifts, single-leg squats, squat jumps, lunges, etc....I train them 5 days a week. And I do 60 min two times a week of intense cardio

That is a VERY intense leg training regime you have, very impressive. What's your rep and set count? Considering your original post I have a basic idea at the moment why you may not be seeing the results you wish to see in your thighs, although I don't want to assume.

May I ask one additional question, would you say your thighs are more muscle than fat, or would you say it's 50/50?