Sugar rush!!!! Am I in trouble???

Options
So, for awhile I have been tracking my fat, protein, and fiber. I decided to switch to some other things, and included sugar.

I have gone over my sugar recommendation EVERY DAY so far. For example, it says my goal is 37g each day. Yesterday I had 2 medium pears for breakfast, for a total of 32g of sugar! Are you supposed to be worried about "fruit" sugar the same as "added" sugar? I try to eat fruit and even carrots get up to 14g of sugar a day.

Worry, or not? Should I cut back on fruit? That would be so sad!

Replies

• abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    So, for awhile I have been tracking my fat, protein, and fiber. I decided to switch to some other things, and included sugar.

I have gone over my sugar recommendation EVERY DAY so far. For example, it says my goal is 37g each day. Yesterday I had 2 medium pears for breakfast, for a total of 32g of sugar! Are you supposed to be worried about "fruit" sugar the same as "added" sugar? I try to eat fruit and even carrots get up to 14g of sugar a day.

Worry, or not? Should I cut back on fruit? That would be so sad!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    No, not unless your Dr told you to worry about it.
    Fruit sugar that is STILL in the fruit is NOT refined sugar.
    Refined sugar is where you have trouble.
    With out going into how sugar is made today. Let me just say it is a chemical process that takes the good sugars out and makes them into a chemical compound that some people find addictive.
    FRUIT IS ALWAYS GOOD! as long as it is fresh.
    --Diann...
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    There isn't a need to cut down on fruit. If you are worried about the sugar in each food you might want to look into looking at the Glycemic count of the foods that you eat. This is something that I have had to watch my whole life because of my blood sugar.

There are some good sites to read and to also find the Glycemic Index for foods. The lower the number, the lower the natural sugar so to speak. Google Glycemic Index and you will find a bunch of articles and such.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20030820/glycemic-index-new-way-to-count-carbs

And a site for finding the Glycemic Index for foods...

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had the same shock when i looked at mine, but since it mainly came from fruits, i'm not worried!