Allergies --> Low Energy --> Mindless Eating!

cp005e
cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
Does anyone else have this problem? When allergy season hits, I often find myself feeling really lethargic. When I'm work, I think that I need to be more alert, so I grab something to eat (usually carbs), hoping it will wake me up. But it doesn't really work, and I end up with a whole bunch of extra calories! Yesterday, I ate 2 Fruit Roll-Ups, a package of Fig Newtons, and a Clif Kids ZBar in a period of about an hour before I even fully realized what I was doing - adding up to nearly 500 calories! Yuck!

Any other ideas to up my energy without turning to food? Caffeine doesn't really help me either, although I also grabbed a diet soda yesterday in hopes that it would. I think that diet soda makes me crave more sweets - so it's probably better to avoid it unless I know my willpower will be better.

Replies

• cp005e
    Does anyone else have this problem? When allergy season hits, I often find myself feeling really lethargic. When I'm work, I think that I need to be more alert, so I grab something to eat (usually carbs), hoping it will wake me up. But it doesn't really work, and I end up with a whole bunch of extra calories! Yesterday, I ate 2 Fruit Roll-Ups, a package of Fig Newtons, and a Clif Kids ZBar in a period of about an hour before I even fully realized what I was doing - adding up to nearly 500 calories! Yuck!

Any other ideas to up my energy without turning to food? Caffeine doesn't really help me either, although I also grabbed a diet soda yesterday in hopes that it would. I think that diet soda makes me crave more sweets - so it's probably better to avoid it unless I know my willpower will be better.
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    It helps me to keep a water bottle full next to me. If I get sleepy then I drink out of it and it tends to wake me up. It should also get rid of those cravings if you're not really hungry. Also, if that doesn't work, keep some fresh veggies on hand. They'll give you the energy you need, but have very limited calories (and they're good calories!)

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    If your allergies aren't severe - try backbends. Here are some:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/browse_categories/backbends

You can do fish pose laying over a block should help and require very little effort. You can also use a rolled blanket or towel, if you don't have a block. Backbends give you energy and open the chest and sinus. If your allergies are severe, they might just give you a headache.

Just leaning back over your chair back stretching should help.
  • I suffer so badly from seasonal allergies (in the heart of the southeast) and it gets to the point where I have to avoid doing outdoor activities until everything has bloomed. I completely understand what you are going through and how it affects you. Are you currently taking any medication for your symptoms? I take an Allegra in the morning with my vitamin and other supplements and have been doing so for about a month now. If you aren't on anything, I would recommend seeing a doctor for a prescription or trying something over the counter like Claritin or Zyrtec. If you are on something, that may be adding to your drowsiness and overall feeling of a lack of energy. I don't do caffeine either so I keep water nearby, which is a great idea and so is having baggies of snacks like carrots, dried fruit/nuts, and other healthy treats to munch on. Stay hydrated - if you are failing to maintain hydration, your body will lack energy. I would also recommend standing up every 15-20 minutes (if you can) or even walking away from your workspace for a few minutes. A change in scenery and movement can make a world of difference. Hope these ideas help!
  • cp005e
    Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions! I usually keep water at my desk, but I've been out of whack this week. I'll try taking a drink and a quick walk down the hallway when I start to zone out. I also like the idea of carrots or something else crunchy - I've heard that air traffic controllers use crunchy snacks to stay alert.

I do take Zyrtec daily during the season, and actually did allergy shots for a few years to address the severity of my symptoms. I used to be MISERABLE at this time of year before I did the shots - now my symptoms are much more tolerable, but I just feel a bit "out of it" sometimes. Normally I try to start taking the Zyrtec a few weeks before the pollen comes out, but because I just got back from a two week vacation, I was late getting started. Next week should be better.