I feel sorry for you flatlanders

I have been blessed to live in the most beautiful place on earth, the mountains of North Carolina, and in doing so I have been indulging in one of my favorite activities: Power Hiking :tongue: . The last few days we have had pretty weather (finally, it was a long snowy winter) so I have hit the trails hard. Three different times this week I did a 5 mile hike on the parkway, and according to my monitor I burned well over 1000 calories each trip (I shoot for less than 1.75 hours per trip).

Well, today I went to Grandfather Mountain, ( http://www.grandfathermountain.com/ )site of the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, setting of the scene in 'Forrest Gump' where he runs up a huge mountain (thats GF Mount) and the highest peak in the southeast (well over 5939ft). I got there about 3:30pm, and was told that I had to be back at my vehicle by 5. I had no choice...I had to climb from right at 5000ft to 5939ft, a 5 mile roundtrip (very strenuous, ladders, ropes, rocks, the works) hike in under 1 and a half hours...:huh:

Was I up to the challenge??? :noway:

Actually, as it turns out...I was! (please hold applause until afterwards...ok, you can go ahead and applaud :laugh: )

It was extremely demanding, and my monitor showed my heartrate at 150bpm (my resting is 63) almost the whole way (it peaked at 179bpm :smokin: ) I drank my entire 2 liter camelback just on the way up (it was about 62 degrees Farenheit, almost 10 degrees cooler than at the base). But once I got to the top...well, let's just say I had forgotten what beautiful looked like until I sat down on top of MacRae Peak and rested for a few minutes. It was fantastic, and it reminded me how proud I am to be a mountain boy. Simply amazing. I began my hike back down, and made it back to my vehicle with 3 minutes to spare. :happy:

It's so awesome to know that a year ago, I couldn't have done this. I still have weight to lose to get where I want to be, but knowing I am approaching the fitness level I was once at makes all the pain worth it. No treat, no food, no fleeting craving even approaches the sense of accomplishment, and the shear beauty of what I witnessed today.

So, for all of you who might wonder from time to time, 'Just what the heck is all this pain and trouble for!?! :mad: ) just try to keep your goal in perspective. There is so much more to life than eating! Go find it! Fight for it! Make it yours! Oh, and just so you know, how many calories was my little adventure today worth according to my monitor? One Thousand, four hundred and sixty one. Yes, you read it right, 1,461. Gotta love it.

Just so you know, I still feel sorry for you flatlanders. :bigsmile:

Much love for all my fellow MFPers,

-Jeremy

Replies

• sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    I have been blessed to live in the most beautiful place on earth, the mountains of North Carolina, and in doing so I have been indulging in one of my favorite activities: Power Hiking :tongue: . The last few days we have had pretty weather (finally, it was a long snowy winter) so I have hit the trails hard. Three different times this week I did a 5 mile hike on the parkway, and according to my monitor I burned well over 1000 calories each trip (I shoot for less than 1.75 hours per trip).

Well, today I went to Grandfather Mountain, ( http://www.grandfathermountain.com/ )site of the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, setting of the scene in 'Forrest Gump' where he runs up a huge mountain (thats GF Mount) and the highest peak in the southeast (well over 5939ft). I got there about 3:30pm, and was told that I had to be back at my vehicle by 5. I had no choice...I had to climb from right at 5000ft to 5939ft, a 5 mile roundtrip (very strenuous, ladders, ropes, rocks, the works) hike in under 1 and a half hours...:huh:

Was I up to the challenge??? :noway:

Actually, as it turns out...I was! (please hold applause until afterwards...ok, you can go ahead and applaud :laugh: )

It was extremely demanding, and my monitor showed my heartrate at 150bpm (my resting is 63) almost the whole way (it peaked at 179bpm :smokin: ) I drank my entire 2 liter camelback just on the way up (it was about 62 degrees Farenheit, almost 10 degrees cooler than at the base). But once I got to the top...well, let's just say I had forgotten what beautiful looked like until I sat down on top of MacRae Peak and rested for a few minutes. It was fantastic, and it reminded me how proud I am to be a mountain boy. Simply amazing. I began my hike back down, and made it back to my vehicle with 3 minutes to spare. :happy:

It's so awesome to know that a year ago, I couldn't have done this. I still have weight to lose to get where I want to be, but knowing I am approaching the fitness level I was once at makes all the pain worth it. No treat, no food, no fleeting craving even approaches the sense of accomplishment, and the shear beauty of what I witnessed today.

So, for all of you who might wonder from time to time, 'Just what the heck is all this pain and trouble for!?! :mad: ) just try to keep your goal in perspective. There is so much more to life than eating! Go find it! Fight for it! Make it yours! Oh, and just so you know, how many calories was my little adventure today worth according to my monitor? One Thousand, four hundred and sixty one. Yes, you read it right, 1,461. Gotta love it.

Just so you know, I still feel sorry for you flatlanders. :bigsmile:

Much love for all my fellow MFPers,

-Jeremy
  • Went to the website...beautiful...being in the "flatlands", but originally from PA and familiar with the Poconos..(part of my childhood was spend at the foot of Bake oven knob)....it was a wonderful reminder. I've been in the city for too long:grumble: and miss the beauty of God's creations on such a grand scale. Felt so much closer to Him then.

Thank you for that "walk" taround the mountain at the website, your adventure had to have been incredible.....and WOW, great job with that hike!!!!!!!!! (((thumbs up))) We definitely need a thumbs up smiley:happy: , (cause I don't do toasts).
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    That sounds great. Where i live in the States Fairport NY it is nicknamed Trail Town USA and my GF and i..... well she got me into to.. go for hikes all the time. The last one was a little further away from home near Cornell College in Ithica NY. What a hike. no where near 6k ft but still impressive what a little ice can do to the land scape.

I guess there are two reasons for me to make an extended visit to NC now.

the first being http://www.tailofthedragon.com

Thanks for the story and keep up the good work.

Tim
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    That sounds like an awesome workout, with some kick *kitten* rewards! nice sgt!
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    very cool. thanks for sharing
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    My goal this summer is to climb Mount Fuji! My husband did it last year but unfortunately I had hurt my foot and didn't get to go! But this summer it's so on!!!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Being from the 'flatland' part of Michigan, you just fed the desire I've had for the last couple of years to pack up and move to NC. I wonder how many calories that is!?
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Being from the 'flatland' part of Michigan, you just fed the desire I've had for the last couple of years to pack up and move to NC. I wonder how many calories that is!?
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Hey, I've been to GFM, when I was a kid. I live just of the BLue Ridge pkwy in southwest virginia, a mile from my house is an overlook where you can see pilot mnt when the haze isn't too bad. After 6 years of living in near Kingston, Ontario, I'd forgotten how strenuous a 45 minute walk on the ROADS can be! I'm up to 35 min. now, and huff and puff all the way! But I'll get there.

And horseback riding around here? Ain't nothing like it! (I do plan to tour Montana on horseback one day... sweet.):love:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    I was fortunate to go back today. It amazes me that God could create such beautiful wonders and then allow us to experience them. Wow.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Sgt - you just ruined my day. :laugh: I was just coasting along - then wham! I read your post and can't wait to get out and do some hiking this summer!! Our daytime high is still only in the upper 50's right now here - mountains are only 1 - 1.5 hours away but will be much cooler still. :cry:

Arrrrrgh - I wanna go now *pitching fit like a 2 year old*

See what you did to me???

(By the way, the mountains in my pic are the ones about 1.5 hours away. That's the area we will be moving to later this summer :happy: )
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Well, being a New Englander, we have both mountains and the beach, and while running the mountains are great, and beautiful, I still like the beach, gives you a great workout and there is nothing better then the beach in the morning, waves crashing, smell of the salty air.... I know, it's cliche, but it's soo true.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Wow, Sarge - that sounds awesome. My parents lived in the Smokies until they passed away.

My mountain's bigger than your mountain. (okay, that was childish) AND I'm not climbing it! :wink:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Jpg/Rainier/Images/Rainier84_mount_rainier_and_tacoma_08-20-84_med.jpg

~Cheryl
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    I was fortunate to go back today. It amazes me that God could create such beautiful wonders and then allow us to experience them. Wow.

I live in No California, I wouldn't trade it for the world! There are beautiful hiking trails all around me, even if I step out my front door in my town, and can escape to a great trail. Here's one that I haven't done in a while... take a drive to the beach, about an hour for me, then take a jog. UMMMMM jogging on the beach in the summer time in No Cal is the best because it's acutally cool outside, not 500 degrees. It's great all the time tho! Anyhow, great post, and good for you!
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    You are so fortunate to live there. I'm from Michigan, but lived in Florida the last 22 years. I took a trip to Charlotte last March and fell in love with it. But my ex won't let me leave the state with my daughter. So, next time you look at those beautiful mountains, enjoy them for me. Also, congrats on your climb. That is impressive !!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Yay! Hiking is the best isn't it? I live in the Rockie Mountains of BC Canada. It's great when your at the top looking over everything. It's beautiful!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Nice!! I like the flat land. Big land and water land just short drive. Yosemite 1.5 hours-Pacific ocean 2.5 hours. No bears, cougars or other wild animals here. Just lots of squirrels and snails, stray cats and some bums.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Nice!! I like the flat land. Big land and water land just short drive. Yosemite 1.5 hours-Pacific ocean 2.5 hours. No bears, cougars or other wild animals here. Just lots of squirrels and snails, stray cats and some bums.

:happy: There is beauty every where , just have to stop and look at it. I know what you mean on the squirrels , stray cats and bums:laugh: I feed them all and enjoy it. I love watching the two new foals in the pasture, it's a shame it's not better weather for them. But they run and play and make me smile, once in awhile we have some deer come in the yard. Rabbits, skunks, foxes, ground hogs, possums , pesky raccoons , ducks, geese, eagles, vultures, and Rathburn Lake full of fish, I am sure I have left some out like the owl that I really don't like for him to visit because he is a bad sign.:glasses:
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Sounds like I live just down the hill from you a little ways. Hiking in NC mountains is great! Beautiful and beneficial. (think they'll consult us for the next tourist brouchure?) I had lived my whole life in western NC then my husband went in the military so we moved quite a bit. Now that he's out, we are back in NC - YAY!
    My aunt has a poem on her wall that I love,
    "I'm a Tarheel born and a Tarheel bred, and when I die I'll be a Tarheel dead.":happy:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Walking down The Las Vegas Strip any time I want is just as good :heart: