Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Replies

• l_oudman
    l_oudman Posts: 373 Member
    Okay I have been reading up on the whole eat more to weigh less and am prepared for an initial weight gain. I am going to start upping my calories (in stages) from today. Lets see what happens :)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Thanks for that :) light works out at 1990 then times by 0.8 is 1592 and moderate is 2243 works out as 1794 so I was thinking I could aim for between 1600 & 1700 each day (on my work out days I will use up more??) I usually have a base of 1200 on hereAlso I just looked back on the pasy 8 days food diary and I am a bit confused about the "net" calories For example

Mon: FOOD 1474 net 1316
    Tue: FOOD 1150 net 926
    Wed: FOOD 1263 net 1044
    Thurs: FOOD 1134 Net 901
    Fri: FOOD 1476 net 1257
    Sat: FOOD 1524 net 1524
    Sun: FOOD 1461 net 1149
    Mon: FOOD 1589 net 1149

What says FOOD is what has actually passed my lips but the "NET" is that figure minus the exercise calories, is that correct? If lets say my calorie goal is 1650 a day, is that what I am aiming to get as my "GOAL" calories and NOT my "NET" calories? Get into a bit of a muddle lol x

Bump
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Thanks for that :) light works out at 1990 then times by 0.8 is 1592 and moderate is 2243 works out as 1794 so I was thinking I could aim for between 1600 & 1700 each day (on my work out days I will use up more??) I usually have a base of 1200 on hereAlso I just looked back on the pasy 8 days food diary and I am a bit confused about the "net" calories For example

What says FOOD is what has actually passed my lips but the "NET" is that figure minus the exercise calories, is that correct? If lets say my calorie goal is 1650 a day, is that what I am aiming to get as my "GOAL" calories and NOT my "NET" calories? Get into a bit of a muddle lol x

Yes, the NET is what you ate minus workout cals. You should aim to eat your "goal", not "net," as long as your "goal" is your TDEE -15% #. The main thing to pay attention to w/the net is that you're hitting your BMR, which shouldn't be an issue if TDEE was figured correctly. ;)
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    I just wanted to say THANK U to Kiki and Lucia for taking the time every day to r:smile: espond to these blogs. I know it takes a lot of time (and patience lol) and I hope everyone appreciates it. I Do! :)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member

Yes, the NET is what you ate minus workout cals. You should aim to eat your "goal", not "net," as long as your "goal" is your TDEE -15% #. The main thing to pay attention to w/the net is that you're hitting your BMR, which shouldn't be an issue if TDEE was figured correctly. ;)

Thank you very much :) very much appreciated x
  • 31prvrbs
    I just wanted to say THANK U to Kiki and Lucia for taking the time every day to r:smile: espond to these blogs. I know it takes a lot of time (and patience lol) and I hope everyone appreciates it. I Do! :)

Aww, Mainey. You're so sweet! I'm sure I speak for Lucia in saying that we appreciate your appreciation, LOL. It does take quite a bit of our free time, but we are pretty passionate about people being released from the mainstream bondage and pursuing lives of freedom.

We both love researching on the subject, and have no desire to keep our findings a secret. :flowerforyou:

Kiki
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member

Aww, Mainey. You're so sweet! I'm sure I speak for Lucia in saying that we appreciate your appreciation, LOL. It does take quite a bit of our free time, but we are pretty passionate about people being released from the mainstream bondage and pursuing lives of freedom.

We both love researching on the subject, and have no desire to keep our findings a secret. :flowerforyou:

Kiki

:-)
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Hear Hear!! Couldn't agree more!!

Sometimes my head gets dizzy reading some of the questions here!
    My head gets even more dizzy with some of the questions that have gone through my own head!!

But seriously with your patience and explanations, its starting to really make sense!!

Thanks guys you rock!! :D
  • iremmy
    iremmy Posts: 77 Member
    bump
  • lds72
    lds72 Posts: 12
    Thank you for this!

After eating between 1200-1300 cals for over a year and a half, I am going to be very patient with this and get my metabolism back to were it should be! I am up to 1500 cals now and will slowly add more each week to reach 1800. Baby steps and patience, it's only been 2 weeks and I only went up about 4 lbs but my BF% has come down! I am struggling to lose the last 10 lbs.

UGH! I wish I had all this information when I started my weight loss journey back then.
  • iremmy
    iremmy Posts: 77 Member
    BUMP
  • mrscooks1
    mrscooks1 Posts: 16 Member
    I appreciate you ladies as well.

I am 34 years old, 5'6" and weigh 208 as of Sunday. I have been struggling with low cal, weight watchers, low carb, etc...I am a yoyo dieter and yesterday I decided I will no longer diet. Yesterday was my first day of upping my calories. I was always eating under my BMR and never knew it. I have learned a lot in the last two days of reading all of the posts. My goal weight is 150. My mini goals are 10 pounds at a time. Right now, just trying to get to Onederland. I am now eating 2260 daily to lose fat the right way. I may lower it on Sunday, my rest day to 1900. Anyway, I am not freaked out about gaining the initial weight because I haven't been losing anyway, just gaining. I am working out 6 days a week doing the body revolution workout by Jillian Michaels. It is only 30 minutes daily so it is nothing for me to knock it out.

Again thank you so much for what you do. I look forward to being the healthy woman, wife, and mom I was born to be.:happy:
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    I love this thread :flowerforyou:

I just wanted to share with you that I am now losing again after a couple of weeks of adjusting to the higher calorie intake. I'm a pound lighter than I was before I started eating more.

You people rock!!
  • 31prvrbs
    Thank you for this!

After eating between 1200-1300 cals for over a year and a half, I am going to be very patient with this and get my metabolism back to were it should be! I am up to 1500 cals now and will slowly add more each week to reach 1800. Baby steps and patience, it's only been 2 weeks and I only went up about 4 lbs but my BF% has come down! I am struggling to lose the last 10 lbs.

UGH! I wish I had all this information when I started my weight loss journey back then.

I felt the same way! I couldn't believe how many times it took me gaining and losing the same weight over and over before discovering the truth. Properly fueling my body has changed my life.
  • 31prvrbs
    I love this thread :flowerforyou:

I just wanted to share with you that I am now losing again after a couple of weeks of adjusting to the higher calorie intake. I'm a pound lighter than I was before I started eating more.

You people rock!!

YAY! That's awesome! I applaud you for sticking it out. Those fluctuating times can be quite, nerve inducing, to say the least......
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member

Here is the 'flaw' I find with this idea----

BMR= 1263
    TDEE = 1727
    minus 15% = 1467

I set my goal to 1460 every day. When I work out, MFP adds these calories to my goal, raising it say to 1727. I do not eat my exercise calories (because if there is NO deficit, there will be no weight loss).

Just as you said earlier---- someone who weighs 3 lbs more on Monday than on Friday did NOT eat an additional 10,500 calories above their needs in two days. Not possible.

THEN- how can it be possible to lose weight if you eat back everything you have worked off?

(On a side note- whenever MFP raises my caloric 'goal' and I do not eat my exercise calories back, I get 'yelled at' for not eating enough. I eat when I am hungry. I am 100% satisfied- not hungry)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member

BMR= 1263
    TDEE = 1727
    minus 15% = 1467

I set my goal to 1460 every day. When I work out, MFP adds these calories to my goal, raising it say to 1727. I do not eat my exercise calories (because if there is NO deficit, there will be no weight loss).

Just as you said earlier---- someone who weighs 3 lbs more on Monday than on Friday did NOT eat an additional 10,500 calories above their needs in two days. Not possible.

THEN- how can it be possible to lose weight if you eat back everything you have worked off?

(On a side note- whenever MFP raises my caloric 'goal' and I do not eat my exercise calories back, I get 'yelled at' for not eating enough. I eat when I am hungry. I am 100% satisfied- not hungry)

When you workout if you burn more than 200 cals then you need to eat at least the excess over the 200 otherwise you will be under your BMR. BMR is the calories needed just to stay in bed all day. You are eating only 200 above that and honestly without exercising I strongly believe you burn more than 200 daily. So you are mostly still at a deficit.
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    hey guys i know to expect weight gain etc, so the scales are gone, that way i am not going to freak out and eat less again!

But is this feeling pudgy normal?? not bloated as such just pudgy and fat! i look down and all i see is this big wobbly stomach, i am sure it wasn't this pudgy yesterday?

I haven't done measurements, (hasn't even been a full week since i last did them) my clothes fit the same, and for the first time since starting this journey almost 2 weeks ago, i have actually netted my BMR on a normal eating day!

Normal as opposed to my weekly splurge days where i don't bother with cals :)
  • 31prvrbs

BMR= 1263
    TDEE = 1727
    minus 15% = 1467

If your TDEE -15% is 1467, then your exercise cals should already be figured in. Therefore you would *not* be eating them back (meaning you're still in a deficit). You would only be eating 1467. That's the reason why I say *if* your TDEE is figured correctly. If it's figured correctly, then you aren't burning more than 200 cals/day. So you would *only* eat back any cals you burned *beyond* that 200. (i.e. if you burn 275, eat back 75, putting you at 1535, thus a deficit)

And on your side note. The less we eat, the less hungry we are. Our metabolism raises/lowers to meet our eating habits. So it makes perfect sense that you'd be satisfied w/less.
  • 31prvrbs
    hey guys i know to expect weight gain etc, so the scales are gone, that way i am not going to freak out and eat less again!

But is this feeling pudgy normal?? not bloated as such just pudgy and fat! i look down and all i see is this big wobbly stomach, i am sure it wasn't this pudgy yesterday?

I haven't done measurements, (hasn't even been a full week since i last did them) my clothes fit the same, and for the first time since starting this journey almost 2 weeks ago, i have actually netted my BMR on a normal eating day!

Normal as opposed to my weekly splurge days where i don't bother with cals :)

Honestly, yes. That is normal. It's just part of the adjustment process as your body re-learns how to digest larger amounts of food. Your metabolism is still used to digesting lower cals. When your body discovers that this is legit, and not just a binge, it will be willing to let go of food a bit faster. At the beginning, our bodies often aren't very trusting of us in this dept., so it thinks it should hold on during the "feast" because "famine" is around the corner. You should expect this every time you raise the cals.