Do people respect you more if you're not overweight?

I've lost 45 pounds since January 6th and that 45 pounds is fairly noticeable. What I have noticed is that people in general (mostly strangers) seem to give me more respect. At the very least, people are more friendly towards me. Is this because people have a natural repulsion to overweight people? Or am I projecting more confidence and perceiving something that's not really there?

What have your experience been? Anyone else have similar experiences?

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    I noticed that also. Perfect strangers are now starting up conversations with me, where it rarely happened before. I think it's because people find overweight people repulsive.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    For me, the short answer is yes.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    I have been overweight most of my life and I have a different story. I have always had men open doors to me and strangers talk to me all the time. I think it has to do with confidence, a smile and making eye contact.

I have noticed that overweight women do not seem to do these things. I think it is more likely a confidence issue.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    A little from column A, a little from column B.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    I'd have to say they do...and the worst thing is, it was friends that i hadn't seen in years when my weight had piled on. they constantly mocked me and made jokes that really hurt. a year later at the next reunion, I was 60 lbs lighter and things were TOTALLY different.

sad,pathetic,i know..but thats just the way people are. even now, they still make fun of me, but it pretty much stops when i get more attention than they do when were out and about..
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    People tend to treat me like crap either way.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    I go to school in Southern California (at a VERY shallow school) and when I lost the weight, people were NICER to me when I lost the weight. It disgusted me, I didn't change just my body. While I am healthier, my personality is the same! It made me angry. I see people around here treat the few overweight people like they have the plague. It makes me want to cry because I was once overweight.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    When I was in High school, I ran track, played sports and swam. I was very muscular and weighed in all 4 years at about 98 to 115 lbs. I was told by a long time family friend, that I was fat. This broke my heart. So I used to go on starvation diets from age 17 to age 23. That's when I had my baby, (at 23) and didn't care anymore. topped out at 135 for years.

So then I topped out at 260 after the birth and lost it all and stayed at about 135 and the miserable 14 married years, then, I bounded to 289.

So I started losing and got from 289 to 190 and felt so good, but it was never enough. I got passed up, passed by and held back. And yet, a few told me, well, you have a few more to lose. Really?

So now I was at 245 and went to 235 and now 231. My initial weight loss was 65 lbs from 2010 to 2011. So now I have started over.

So yes, there is a big diff in the way we are treated for being fat.

I am going through so many changes. Weight loss, finally, breast reduction and a full hysterectomy all in 3 years. and no matter how much weight a person looses, some will forever be butt heads. It's a sad harsh reality. but look at the model world. No one can think for them selves, only read this crap and believe fat is ugly.

I say, just be happy and do what you need to do to be healthy and forget the crap around you.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    It took my 5 years or so to gain 50 lbs and ive lost most of it in a year or so.... I know that I AM more confident now that I again
    1 ..Dont care what people think about me or how i look because I am ok with what i Look like NOW and
    2 ..That has given me the confidence to MAKE eye contact with people where as before i wouldnt.
    But i still think people get friendlier as I get thinner:))
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    I've lost 45 pounds since January 6th and that 45 pounds is fairly noticeable. What I have noticed is that people in general (mostly strangers) seem to give me more respect. At the very least, people are more friendly towards me. Is this because people have a natural repulsion to overweight people? Or am I projecting more confidence and perceiving something that's not really there?

What have your experience been? Anyone else have similar experiences?

I'd say it's some of both most likely.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    I think people do give you more respect when you are not overweight. However, I don't think they are repulsed by someone who is overweight. I wonder if it's an issue of perception. If you are overweight, people might think you don't have respect for yourself, so therefore they tend not to respect you.

I've been overweight at various times in my life (high school as well as middle age) and have noticed that people tend to be more helpful and receptive to me when I've been at my goal weight. Not fair at all but it's just what I've experienced.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    YES

But what makes me laugh is the way I get more respect now for things I know nothing about than I did 100lb ago in things I'm knowledgeable
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I don't know which it is, but I am finding more men who are strangers are saying hello and greeting me as if we've met or know each other.
  • desertsky1955
    desertsky1955 Posts: 24 Member
    First of all congrats on your awesome weight loss!:happy: :happy: After losing 45 pounds in such a short time must leave you feeling better and feeling happier. Therefore, I would think that you have a "happy glow" about you. When people smile and are polite, It's contagious. Try this: Put on a genuine happy face and smile at people ~ There will be a lot of return smiles!
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    I think it is a bit of both... people treat me different now than they did 50lbs ago, but they still do not treat me like they do my more normal size counterparts. (I lost a lot of weight before finding this site) I have always been the "biggest" of my friends.. I was never the size 0 or size 4.. I was the size 7 or 9 in school... I was consistently made fun of and passed over. Now I also have no confidence either... so people do play on that as well. I am a smart and wonderful person.. I also happen to be overweight. I think it is a bit of both, but with society always saying the thinner you are the more beautiful you are, I think society has made everyone a bit more shallow and therefore there is less respect and tolerance for people who are overweight. Confidence may have a little bearing, but I really believe that people are negative and mean based mostly on look. Just my two cents however..
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Go read the fat fitness instructor thread to get your answer.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Yes... I've noticed it too. I'm 5'4" and I've lived being 206 pounds and 120 pounds, and there is a difference.
    And theres a difference when job hunting & whether you are hired or not too. Its sad but true. You would think this world would be different by now. Especially because so many people can relate to weight issues these days.
  • I think a lot of it is attitude/self confidence. I'm fat, that hasn't changed anytime recently, but if I'm in a good mood (happy, self confident), people will randomly talk to me when I'm out & about. If I'm not in a good mood (upset, pissy), people seem to just ignore me. I really believe it's how you project yourself
  • HazelsMama
    HazelsMama Posts: 8 Member
    I think it's a little of both but I have to admit I do not feel more confident but I work in a tipping industry & since I have lost 25+lbs & have clothes that fit me & show my body off I have started making more money! I think people have an unawareness of wanting to please someone who is attractive. You are on your best behavior on a 1st date because you want to attract them & our society places great emphases on being fit & we reward people for doing so-regardless if we realize it or not.