Do I bother to finish J/M Metabolism book...I'm irritated

2»

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I was thinking the same thing! Susan Powder but I figured this crowd was to young to remember. Like the original post said most of these books can be summed up in eat less crap; move more. Most people would be better off buying a nutrition or physiology text book.
    I heartily agree. She did what Susan Powter did 20 years ago. Amazing how that same old song and dance can make ya a millionaire!
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    I thought the book was EXTEMELY informative. I learned many new things about hormones and steroids that I never knew about before. I was also never concerned about the overwhelming amounts of plastics harming us, until she educated me more about it. I think the book was money well spent.

I also like that she's open to letting people understand that she, too, gets frustrated with weight...and "gets it." She's a very tiny person, and as someone who is also very short..there is a HUGE difference on a petitie person's frame when you go from 130 to 115 (which changed me from 143 and obese to healthy at 117)...so I say, take it into perspective. If you don't like the book, nobody is going to force you to read it. So either read it with a positive outlook or put it away.

PS: I also LOVE the Shred and have lost all my difficult pounds utilizing that program...which is wonderful when nothing else has worked.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I'll let Jillian speak for herself:

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/910576/biggest_loser_trainer_caught_on_mic?wpid=1904

Yeesh. :-)

After seeing the above I'd not purchase anything that put $ in her pocket either.

Wow ... she sure gets a lot of "bleeps" in an interview eh?

Well for me it wasn't about the cursing. It was about how she thinks of those people she's 'helping'.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/910576/biggest_loser_trainer_caught_on_mic?wpid=1904

After seeing the above I'd not purchase anything that put $ in her pocket either.

Wowza. I get the strangest feeling she doesn't think too highly of fat people. :ohwell: "These people" are not "normal people" so I have to be a biotch to them. Ok.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member

Wowza. I get the strangest feeling she doesn't think too highly of fat people. :ohwell: "These people" are not "normal people" so I have to be a biotch to them. Ok.

I didn't think the tape was THAT bad....I sort of realize what she was trying to say, though I don't think the words came out exactly right..poor choice of words
    BUT overall, I think she was saying you need to shift mentality completely when you are working with an extremely overweight person...
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Master your Metabolism changed my lifestyle! No, it isn't anything new, but her approach made it sink in for the 1st time! I am buying extra copies and have passed it around to friends and family. I love JM!:love::love: :love: :love:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    For some reason I've never really liked her and the show bothers me becuase the simplistic way they calculate who is winning stacks the deck against those that have less to lose.

I would recommend skimming through the book to see if anything catches you eye then do as you will with it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member

I didn't think the tape was THAT bad....I sort of realize what she was trying to say, though I don't think the words came out exactly right..poor choice of words
    BUT overall, I think she was saying you need to shift mentality completely when you are working with an extremely overweight person...

It isn't just individuals who weigh 400 pounds who don't want to workout and need a push. She said she could be more gentle with a normal person...I'm just wondering who that normal person is. :smile:

I'm pretty sure most people would bawk at the amount of exercise they have to do on that show- 400 pounds or 150.
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Il save this to watch (or go through) when I finish work today... being naughty and browsing MFP at work (OOps)

:tongue:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    I haven't read any of her books or watched the show.

I was wondering does she say anything about the plastics that are okay to use?

here is info I found
    http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/plastic_bottles.htm
    Safe Reusable Bottles Do Exist
    Safer choices include bottles crafted from safer HDPE (plastic #2), low-density polyethylene (LDPE, AKA plastic #4) or polypropylene (PP, or plastic #5). Aluminum bottles, such as those made by SIGG and sold in many natural food and natural product markets, and stainless steel water bottles are also safe choices and can be reused repeatedly and eventually recycled.

I really don't like when people advocate or push their one way and don't give you any room or alternatives to help you succeed, even if their way is the right way.

Demetria
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member

It isn't just individuals who weigh 400 pounds who don't want to workout and need a push. She said she could be more gentle with a normal person...I'm just wondering who that normal person is. :smile:

I'm pretty sure most people would bawk at the amount of exercise they have to do on that show- 400 pounds or 150.

Can I give you a long-distance HIGH FIVE??

I don't like her methods honestly. Plus I feel that the BIggest Loser is just horrible 'reality' tv.

I'd recommend Body For Life years before the biggest loser. Yes, he pushes protein shakes and drinks, but I feel he actually gives people hope instead of putting them down all the time.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Yes, she does give lots of alternatives...and really does a great job of explaining why some plastics are bad and what they do to you, and which plastics are okay for you. She is ALWAYS good about giving examples.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I thought the book was EXTEMELY informative. I learned many new things about hormones and steroids that I never knew about before. I was also never concerned about the overwhelming amounts of plastics harming us, until she educated me more about it. I think the book was money well spent.

I also like that she's open to letting people understand that she, too, gets frustrated with weight...and "gets it." She's a very tiny person, and as someone who is also very short..there is a HUGE difference on a petitie person's frame when you go from 130 to 115 (which changed me from 143 and obese to healthy at 117)...so I say, take it into perspective. If you don't like the book, nobody is going to force you to read it. So either read it with a positive outlook or put it away.

PS: I also LOVE the Shred and have lost all my difficult pounds utilizing that program...which is wonderful when nothing else has worked.

This book tells ALOT about hormones and how they control weight gain or loss. I learned alot from this book that I didn't know and I'm not finished it. I didn't take it as she wanted to be 15lbs lighter and was crying and boohooing about it. She explained that as soon as she drank a glass of wine or didn't workout like CRAZY she was gaining that same 15lbs back. When she learned more about hormones and how they control weight gain and loss is when she was able to lose it and keep it off without working herself to death. She is not my favorite person but the proof is in the pudding she knows her stuff. I like Bob too, they are just different people that do things their own way. I think she just rubs the people the wrong way and if it would be someone else that wrote that same book people would probably think it is very interesting. IMO
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Well you're views are VERY interesting. I was thinking of buying it, but will now just stick to my diverse Fitness Mags. They hold far more value than info coming from a self riteous, over paid, arrogant know it all. But I still love the show, as phony as it is. :tongue: