Do not do Jillian's 30 Day shred

Replies

• ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    I tried to doing it several times but I give up after first few days.

When I stop, the first thing I notice is my tummy becomes big (twice as much than before)!!!!
    I don't look like before I started doing it , but much loose and bloated if I stop it.

Bloated is a gastrointesinal thing, not a workout thing. Are you drinking water before/during or after the workouts - maybe you've been gulping air as you drink = belly bloat.

I thought when you build muscle that you look bigger for a little while. The muscle volume is there along with water volume, but as the fat is used and the muscle tones you are getting body recomposition. And the 'bigger' goes away.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Geeze, why the hate? But what would you expect by making a thread like this. I see at least 10 threads a day praising the 30 day shred.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Check my post from yesterday and have a look at my arms.
    30DS and Jillian's BFBM have bloated my arms:bigsmile:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/544297-from-smoking-couch-potato-to-with-pics

After starting with these workouts I gained about 2 pounds for a week or two because more training means that the muscles have to store glycogen and in order to do that water is needed.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Geeze, why the hate? But what would you expect by making a thread like this. I see at least 10 threads a day praising the 30 day shred.

Especially when the OP herself has commented on many threads talking about how great the 30DS is, too. Lol
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member

:love: :laugh: I just spit out my tea! LOL:drinker:
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Whether you are talking about bloating or water retention, it has nothing to do with a specific workout tape. If it is bloating, it is due to something you are eating (or not eating).
    If it is swelling due to water retention or "over-exercising", you are going to get that no matter what exercise routine you do. If you are not used to exercising, especially at high intensity, you are going to over-work your muscles at first. Just like you might get a swollen cheek if someone slaps you, you could experience some swelling and discomfort when you first begin exercise routines that you are not used to. This is normal, and will go away as your body adapts and your muscles get stronger. Giving up just means you get to enjoy starting over from beginning the next time you try a similar routine.
    With that said, if discomfort increases to pain that does not go away after exercising (aside from the "good" tired muscle/lactic acid pain),, or the swelling does not go away after a day or two, or becomes discolored (like a bruise), that is NOT normal.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    i loved 30ds, have been thinking about doing another round here soon

on my 3rd round :) i alternate between the shred and her banish fat boost metabolism one.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Check my post from yesterday and have a look at my arms.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/544297-from-smoking-couch-potato-to-with-pics

LOL
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    OP, no one is attacking you. Honestly, you only did the tape for a few days when the program is designed to be done for a whole month. You didn't do it long enough to form a valid opinion that would warrant warning people against the workout.

I'm not being mean. That's just being an adult.
  • I lost 7 inches overall so I would say it does work! Should've stuck with it and pushed thru. Anything worth having isn't going to be handed to you...just like she says in the DVD "you want it....you gotta fight for it!"
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    I started 30ds at the beginning of March and as of today have lost 5" overall and 3lbs. My stomach (after having twins a c-section) is starting to look close to pre-pregnancy and seeing definition. I can't wait to start lifting in April!
  • BlitzClipz
    BlitzClipz Posts: 154 Member
    I just started this workout on Tuesday. Of course I haven't seen any results yet, but I absolutely love the workouts. I feel amazing after I get done, and I can feel all the muscles that have been worked out the next day. I'm really excited to continue and to see how I compare in 30 days. If I start to bloat, oh frickin' well. I'd rather bloat for a few days and end up looking and feeling amazing in 30 days because I pushed through the undesirable stuff.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    30DS jacked my knee which sucks since I started doing it in addition to running. I tried to be very careful during the lunges and squats because I had heard about some knee issues with this video but apparently not careful enough. Now I am stuck icing my knee the last few nights trying to figure out other calorie burning activities.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    in before the lock perhaps?

and 30DS is a good program. the bloating is more than like from body recomp. it goes away. i had to stop for a while because I wanted to up my running and I still have a bunch of other activities going on, and doing the dvd on top of that zapped the rest of my energy from all of that. I can't wait til the semester is over. then I'll have time to finish the program.
  • ShelbyLynS
    ShelbyLynS Posts: 4 Member
    I do 30 mins on the elliptical then the 30DS, but instead of doing the high impact cardio I modify so my knee won't take the beating. I still get all my cardio and the toneing from the resistance and the abs. After my knee injury I did squats and lunges in physical therapy. So I figure they are safe.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Well I don't know what the OP said, she's deleted her posts but it was too hard on my knees to do the whole thing, but then my knees have never been the best and I was doing it on carpet over concrete. It was a good workout besides that and I definitely felt it.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    No idea what OP said, but I won't be doing the 30 day shred because Jillian is a mean and fatphobic person and I refuse to support her by buying anything connected to her.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    No idea what OP said, but I won't be doing the 30 day shred because Jillian is a mean and fatphobic person and I refuse to support her by buying anything connected to her.

She is???

How?
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261

This was my favorite of all the responses.

Not even going to address the "mean" thing since I'd have to scale back my maturity. As far as the fat phobic thing....to a point, yes she is but what's wrong with that? She was over weight at one point and once you've been over weight and gotten to goal, you can be a bit fat phobic. It's called "learning a lesson". She is incredibly supportive with people that are over weight and whether it's an act or not, I've never heard her say anything that lacked support. I like that she's tough but truly supportive.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member

This was my favorite of all the responses.

Not even going to address the "mean" thing since I'd have to scale back my maturity. As far as the fat phobic thing....to a point, yes she is but what's wrong with that? She was over weight at one point and once you've been over weight and gotten to goal, you can be a bit fat phobic. It's called "learning a lesson". She is incredibly supportive with people that are over weight and whether it's an act or not, I've never heard her say anything that lacked support. I like that she's tough but truly supportive.

LOVE what you wrote here. You've got to be tough to be good. A tough Manager in a work place earns more respect then the one who is easy going and lets their staff walk all over them, same goes for a trainer. She pushes you because you SHOULD be pushing yourself. Obviously if you're overweight, you're like that for a reason. I'm overweight, and yes genetics play a part in my "overweightedness" (had tests done, certain hormones make it harder for me etc.) BUT having genetics that cause you to be "fat" doesn't mean you can't be skinny (as such) just means you have to work harder. I ate 600cals worth of chocolate last night and soared above my calorie intake for the day.. Old me, old habits, before 30DS would have just wallowed away in self pity of "Ohh I shouldn't have done that" but instead I jumped on my exercise bike last night at 12am! Burnt 500cals in an hour of cycling, then came back 45mins later and did an extra hundred cals.
    Jillians approach isn't so much as harsh but is a No Excuses approach, because really.. There are no excuses, it's these excuses that WE made up that made us gain weight in the first place..