Yikes! Mexican food!! *Psycho Music*

TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
We are going out for dinner with friends tonight...and it's at a Mexican place!!! I haven't really been to a Mexican restaurant since I started my new lifestyle (besides the fresco menu at taco bell). Chips and salsa are my all time FAV!!! I must resist!! This is going to be tough!

What do I get?? Is there ANYTHING that is somewhat healthy?? I know to stay away from margaritas, etc....and I was thinking about maybe getting shrimp tacos or something like that. Maybe without cheese.

The good thing is I got a great workout in already today, and burned about 780 calories.

HELLLPPP!!!

Replies

• TamTastic
    We are going out for dinner with friends tonight...and it's at a Mexican place!!! I haven't really been to a Mexican restaurant since I started my new lifestyle (besides the fresco menu at taco bell). Chips and salsa are my all time FAV!!! I must resist!! This is going to be tough!

What do I get?? Is there ANYTHING that is somewhat healthy?? I know to stay away from margaritas, etc....and I was thinking about maybe getting shrimp tacos or something like that. Maybe without cheese.

The good thing is I got a great workout in already today, and burned about 780 calories.

HELLLPPP!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Whatever you get, think side salad :) a salad appetizer will fill you up a bit before the food arrives.... I usually bring my own dressing, so I know its low fat.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    The chicken or shrimp fajiatas aren't too bad in calories. If you don't eat the wraps that's even lower in calories.
    But have fun and don't stress to much:drinker:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Fajitas with corn tortillas (flour have about 3x as many calories)
    Soft or breakfast tacos? Don't know if those are available outside the world of TexMex.
    Tortilla soup - generally any non-cream soup

Get whole beans rather than refried.
  • anothergoat
    anothergoat Posts: 19 Member
    Since I'm from New Mexico I'm a Mexican food addict....I've had to figure out how to indulge myself on occasion.

Beef or chicken tacos are around 180 calories each. Opt for corn tortillas instead of flour - corn tortillas are only 55 calories versus 150+ for flour tortillas). If you love chips and salsa, count out your chips and break them into tiny pieces. You'll get more salsa that way, too. My passion is cheese enchiladas so I just eat half and take the rest with me.

I also do extra exercises on eat-out nights........I've lost 23 lbs. since January and eat Mexican almost once a week, so I think the occasional indulgence won't hurt. Enjoy your evening!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    I also do extra exercises on eat-out nights........I've lost 23 lbs. since January and eat Mexican almost once a week, so I think the occasional indulgence won't hurt. Enjoy your evening!

I think that may be the key right there. I also love mexican food, and like Anothergoat (haha love the name) I just ramp up my calorie burn for the day. Like many others here, I have a hard time eating all my exercise calories (1000+ usually a workout) so indulging in mexican is a luxury I allow myself to enjoy (in moderation of course :bigsmile: )
  • TamTastic
    Cool. I will just have a light lunch and with the exercise calories I already earned this morning + remaining calories I should be ok if I make wiser choices. Thanks everyone!!!!