what's with the sugar recommendations?

walnut
walnut Posts: 216 Member
I started tracking sugar as one of my four nutrients, and have been really puzzled by the recommended limits. I just had a perfectly reasonable breakfast of foods that have no added sugar (except maybe the bread, which is not much), and already I am 6 grams over my recommended sugar intake for the whole day. :noway: What the heck??? Does anyone know why the sugar recommendation is so low? I'm on the default carb/fat/protein ratio.

2 grams - Arnold - F&f Bread, 1 piece
15 grams - Stonyfield Farm - Organic Lowfat Plain Yogurt, 1 cup
14 grams - Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
1 gram - Krema - Peanut Butter (Natural), 1 tbsp

Basically all it takes is one serving of dairy and one of fruit, IN A WHOLE DAY, and you're over the recommended limit. Mind you, that is even plain yogurt - no added sugar...

I'm not too worried about going over because I believe in calories in/calories out and that these are reasonable food choices. This breakfast even fits what a nutritionist recommended to me for a well-rounded breakfast: one fruit, one bread, one dairy, one protein, and one fat. Just wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with the sugar limits.

Thanks, and sorry if this is super rambley!

Replies

• walnut
    I started tracking sugar as one of my four nutrients, and have been really puzzled by the recommended limits. I just had a perfectly reasonable breakfast of foods that have no added sugar (except maybe the bread, which is not much), and already I am 6 grams over my recommended sugar intake for the whole day. :noway: What the heck??? Does anyone know why the sugar recommendation is so low? I'm on the default carb/fat/protein ratio.

2 grams - Arnold - F&f Bread, 1 piece
    15 grams - Stonyfield Farm - Organic Lowfat Plain Yogurt, 1 cup
    14 grams - Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
    1 gram - Krema - Peanut Butter (Natural), 1 tbsp

Basically all it takes is one serving of dairy and one of fruit, IN A WHOLE DAY, and you're over the recommended limit. Mind you, that is even plain yogurt - no added sugar...

I'm not too worried about going over because I believe in calories in/calories out and that these are reasonable food choices. This breakfast even fits what a nutritionist recommended to me for a well-rounded breakfast: one fruit, one bread, one dairy, one protein, and one fat. Just wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with the sugar limits.

Thanks, and sorry if this is super rambley!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    I agree. My sugar recommendation is 37 g. I had two large pears for breakfast one day, and it logged as 41 grams!!!!

I decided to not worry about it. "Natural" sugar in fruit and other things aren't as worrisome to me as "added" sugar in sweets. I don't want to cut down on fruit, because I can't imagine I eat too much just because I love fruit for breakfast.

I track fat, fiber, and protein, sometimes calcium.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Anytime you eat carbs you are basically eating fiber or sugar. But abbychelle is right, unless you are diabetic don't waste time worrying about natural sugars in fruit, whole grains, and natural yogurt.
  • walnut
    unless you are diabetic don't waste time worrying about natural sugars in fruit, whole grains, and natural yogurt.

I agree, I am not worried. I'm just wondering why that number is so low - do you think it's for people with diabetes?