Greek yogurt v. regular yogurt

124»

Replies

• I have a vendetta against yoplait for putting gelatin in their yogurt so it's not vegetarian.

I hated yogurt till I tried Greek yogurt.

Also, if you have access to a Lebanese grocery store, they usually sell Greek Yogurt's cousin, spreadable Kefir, which we usually put on toast or use for sauces when cooking.

My boyfriend was making his own kefir and feta cheese for a while from live kefir grains and kept insisting we get a goat for the back yard :P
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    I eat regular yogurt. I can't get over how much greek yogurt tastes like *kitten*
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 231 Member
    It took me three tries to start liking Greek yogurt. I wanted to eat healthier and was told that Greek Yogurt would keep me fuller longer. And it really does. But I agree with everyone who says you need to find what works for you. I personally didn't like yogurt at all anyway. But learned to "like" yoplait. Then learned about Greek yogurt and thought "crap, this is worst than anything I've tried to "learn" to like". But now, I wouldn't go back to yoplait. I like how satisfied I feel after my Chobani greek yogurt. Good Luck! :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Since we are on the subject of yogurt,
    Is Yoplait really the junk-food of yogurts? It's the only kind/brand that I like.
    And I really like the vanilla...

The reason it is billed as the junk food of yogurt is that "pure" yogurt only has milk and active cultures. An average container of yoplait has a 12-20 ingredients.
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    I've a vegetarian. I need as much protein as I can get. That's why I made the switch.
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    I love the taste of Greek yogurt. The additional protein is a plus. I can't wait to use it to make Mason Jar Oatmeal.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Just chiming in to say that my other half turned his nose up at greek yogurt before I twisted his arm into just trying it. He now loves it for dessert, and we make sure to get one or two big pots when we do our food shopping. We don't really look at the protein / sugar intake of it to be honest.

The way I do it is put some kind of fruit at the bottom of a bowl (my current favourite is blueberries). Pour about 125g of greek yogurt over it. Sprinkle some granola over the yogurt, then add a squeeze of honey on the top.

YUM! :happy:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Neither one is better. They have different macros, and thus accomplish different things nutritionally. Depends on the situation. Like running shoes vs dress shoes. Both have their place.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I've been hearing all of the great reviews about greek yogurt and how good it is for you. Really??? Is it really that great? On average it has about 12g of sugar, 15g of protein and 110 calories. It can be really hard to handle because of its texture and tartness. I am eating Fiber One 50 calorie yogurt and it only has 4 g of sugar, 50 calories, 3g protein and 5g of fiber. It is absolutely delicious!! I will only be using greek yogurt if a specific recipe calls for it.

You're looking at the WRONG greek yogurt. Just becuase it says greek yogurt, doens't mean its the healthy one.

Look at the label on a container of Fage Total 0% --- and then compare to your fiber one.
    Greek yogurt (fage total PLAIN is an excellet replacement for sour cream, smoothie additions instead of high sodium cottage cheese and many other recipe variations.)

Fage Total 0%: 6oz = 100 calories, 0g fat, 7g carb, 7g sugar, 18g protein
    Fage Total 2%: 6oz = 150 calories, 4g fat, 8g carb/sugar, 20g protein
    Fiber One : 4oz = 50 calories, 0g fat, 13g carb, 4g sugar, 3g protein

Protein is what makes you feel full --- you'd have to eat about 6 of those Fiber Ones to get the same amount of protein.

Tip: If it says greek yogurt and it has more sugar than protein - dont waste your money.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Kroger sells their brand of Greek No Fat Yogurt that is not too bad. I am not much of a yogurt fan at all, but I eat their Greek NF Yogurt because of the protein (16g) and lower lactose (I am fairly lactose intolerant). I will agree that the texture is a bit strange and thick, but I buy the heavy fruit flavors (blueberry, black cherry) and they tend to help with taste.

Nutritional info:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 6 oz (170g)

Amount per Serving
    Calories 110
    Calories from Fat 0.0
    Total Fat 0g
    Saturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 10mg
    Sodium 80mg
    Total Carbohydrate 7g
    Dietary Fiber 0g
    Sugars 6g
    Protein 16g
    Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Carbs
    30.4%
    Protein
    69.6%

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/kroger/greek-nonfat-yogurt-plain/#ixzz1qtrYPOY2
  • onatrek
    onatrek Posts: 1
    Fage yogurt is the best... the 0% fat is delicious ... 13 gr of Protein ... with fruit 120 calories ... can get it plain for a lot less in calories and carbs. Eat it every other morning. Also make steel cut oatmeal ... eat on the other mornings ... really "sticks to the ribs" as my grandma used to say. Can add fruit or nuts. I make a double broiler full ... then put balance in refrig and spoon out what I want in the morning and microwave ... taste great. I have a good recipe for it if anyone interested ... make it with vanilla Almond Milk at 40 calories a cup ... don't drink cow's milk any more.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Yeah...it's for the protein (which can be triple that of regular yogurt). I find the sugars a little troubling though. I don't like the plain kind and the fruit flavors I enjoy can have up to 15g of sugar and 160 calories--that's over half of my sugar allowance for the whole day!

Really? You eat 30 grams of sugar per day?

Um...yeah. Actually my goal is 32g and MOST days I go over. A lot of it is from fresh fruit, but still...sugar and sodium are my biggest culprits.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    I get what the original poster said. I kept hearing about Greek yogurt but it didn't look any better to me numbers wise. And I don't like yogurt period. (tastes like sour milk to me) All the posts are making me want to try it.
    I use the plain yogurt as substitution for sour cream. When I make me dips or use it in tacos it cuts the fat and yet has that creamy texture like regular sour cream. You honestly can't tell the difference.

Thanks for this tip. Going to try this next time I make a dip or tacos.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    I've tried to like regular yogurt with fruit and such in it, but something about the texture turns me off. I love some brands of plain greek yogurt though. It is amazing how different the different brands taste to me. Fage 2% is my favorite. Even so, I don't like just eating it with fruit or honey etc in it. I only really use it as I would use sour cream. Sometimes I make salad dressing with it or use it in tuna salad instead of mayo. Most common use for me is 1/4 cup or so on top of a big plate of steamed (or even better roasted!) broccoli! Yum!
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    I've been hearing all of the great reviews about greek yogurt and how good it is for you. Really??? Is it really that great? On average it has about 12g of sugar, 15g of protein and 110 calories. It can be really hard to handle because of its texture and tartness. I am eating Fiber One 50 calorie yogurt and it only has 4 g of sugar, 50 calories, 3g protein and 5g of fiber. It is absolutely delicious!! I will only be using greek yogurt if a specific recipe calls for it.

I just tried it the other day,,,,,,my thoughts on Greek yogurt: Yuck...tastes like sour cream.. I do a Yami light yogurt.. Its pretty good.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    If you're concerned about sugar, don't eat yogurt with fake fruit or added sugar. Just buy plain unsweetened yogurt and add fruit, or yogurt with minimal sugar (either as agave or cane sugar).

My favorite yogurt is Siggi's (from Iceland). Most of their products contain some agave nectar for sweetening but as far as yogurt goes, it's low-sugar.

http://skyr.com/skyr.html
  • Hollywoodcvt
    Hollywoodcvt Posts: 2 Member
    I like the Greek yogurt and I buy the Kirkland brand from Costco. I started eating it mainly to give me more protein in the mornings at work. I eat lunch at varied times through the day and need the extra punch to get me through to a sometimes 4pm lunch break. I mix honey in with it and nothing else. I also like it to use for substitutions for sour cream. My personal favorite for regular yogurt is Tillamook! That stuff is dessert in a cup!