Hi Im Bridget and a new raw foodie!~

Hi , I started a raw foodie/plant based diet about a week ago and am trying my best , it is hard but I HAVE to and WANT to eat this way. I havent been able to lose weight in months due to having Hashimoto's thyroiditis . I exercise and thought I was eating right ( eggs, veggies, yogurt, fruit) I didnt eat a lot of meat before but dairy yeah, its in everything! I probably would of never considered eat ing raw if I didnt have an underactive thyroid . I also dont feel good and even though Im on meds they dont really help . MY TSH level is getting higher and I know I have to medicate myself with healthy raw foods and not more meds! Anyone else have a thyroid problem ? I am currently eating about 70% raw I have cooked some of my veggies and my sweet potato :( Im trying though! I would like to have friends on here that eat they way I do, so we can share food ideas....Also I would love to see before and afters or success stories of eating raw , Thanks !

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Welcome, Bridget! I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid condition but I'm glad you are looking at the importance of food in your overall health. Welcome to the group!
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Good to have you, It will change your life! :D
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Hi Bridget! I no longer have a thyroid gland because it was surgically removed due to thyroid cancer. I've been a vegetarian for years since and am transitioning to a raw diet myself. I love it so far and have been using 'cook' books and websites to find recipes which has been a nice adventure.

I wonder which meds you are referring to taking or not taking. I depend on thyroid replacement hormones since I can no longer make my own. I had trouble losing weight for a long time but I'm pretty sure it was the excess calories I was eating and my lack of exercise once my thyroid hormones were at the right level. I'm interested to know what your experience is.

Best wishes!
  • robinson
    robinson Posts: 11 Member
    Hi Bridget! I am in my 8th day of 100 days 100% raw. I blog on this site too, 100daysintheraw.com. You mentioned sweet potatoes I found a great video that shows how to make a raw sweet potato dish that is amazing. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARi3zFQjMr4
    The woman in the video (Mimi Kirk) is 73 and looks amazing! Glad to be here.