why are female teachers going after young male students?

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Not true at all. The age of consent pretty much goes out the window if it involves teacher/student. So a 16 year old could sleep with a 50 year old legally as long as it isn't a teacher at their school. I know in Maryland this is certainly the case.

I'll have to look up how the law differs, if that's the case I think you have a fair point. I do agree, as you seem to, that it is morally wrong, but I'm not sure how I feel about teachers being held to a different legal code than other adults. There is a point that they are in a mandated position of power over children, and that the child doesn't necessarily have the ability to remove himself/herself from an unsafe environment. Hmmmmm, I'll have to think about this. Thank you for the clarification.
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Well if you saw how sexy I am, you'd understand.

They want someone that has youth because when you're around youth you feel lively.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    The question should be why weren't they doing this when I was a student. I had some hot teachers in my day.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Male teachers do the same thing, its being a paedophile just the same, but people don't seem to feel the same way about a woman who is attractive doing it as they do when its a man. People get titivated reading it because it buys into fantasy territory, it is the same crime, just public perceive it differently

No. Paedophile (or pedophilia) is sex with prepubescent children under 13. Ephebophilia is sex with 14 to 19
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia

it's unfortunate the media often mistakes these two, because sex with a 17 yr old is not the same as sex with a 7 year old, and to call someone a pedophile for sex with a 17 year old is not fair to the person.

Exactly. I find it ridiculous that in some states, the age of consent is 16, but if the adult is a teacher and sleeps with a 17 year old, suddenly they are a pedophile and its illegal. Its absurd. It doesn't make sense that you are a sexual predator in one state, but in another state you are committing a legal act. It also doesn't make sense that your job title determines whether you are a sexual predator or not. Ethics is one thing, but criminality should be another.

That being said, I don't know the appropriate age for saying that an adult sleeping with a minor is a pedophile, but I do think that a 15 year old guy sleeping with an adult female is not as big of a deal as they make it out to be.

Regardless of the age of consent it should be illegal for any teacher to have sexual relations with a student. That position of power should not be abused for sex. As a Drill Sergeant in the Army I have had many recruits who were older than me and ALL of them were above the age of consent but do to my position over them i couldn't have any relationship with them on a personal level for obvious reasons.

Unethical != Criminal. They have the freedom to say No.

It's very criminal for me. If I was to have this type of relationship I would at a minimum be given a dishonorable discharge and I have seen a few go to the brig. Parents trusting their 17 year old boy to the care of a teacher should not have to worry about this kind of behavior.

Your comment about them having the freedom to say No is the typical "blame the victim attitude".

I just don't think having consensual sex means there has to be a victim. If its legal for a 16 year old to have sex with an adult, then that means the state thinks 16 year olds are capable of saying Yes or No. I don't see why the adult's position of authority over them makes any difference. By that same logic, you could say that anybody who sleeps with a sub-ordinate of any age is also a criminal.

In a normal, civilian workplace it would just be unethical. Can you not see the difference between a workplace full of adults and students/teachers?

I think its unethical in both settings. The objection I have is that a student should not be *selectively* capable of consenting based on the job title of the adult. Either they should have full ability to consent or not. I can't make it any clearer.

Meh...agree to disagree. I would concede that if the student is above the state's age of consent that teacher shouldn't be labeled a sex offender but I do think a criminal punishment is appropriate.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Nothing is different now. Guys have always been incapable of shutting the hell up. Seriously, we're all idiots. It starts at birth. We come out yelling and it doesn't ever stop.

But what has changed is technology. We have new and wondrous ways to INSTANTLY tell everyone what fire we happen to be playing with *this very minute*.

20 years ago, if Timmy was getting some tutoring from Mrs. Johanssen, he would likely tell all of his buddies and they'd either believe him or not. But it would end there.

Now, Timmy's posting pics of Mrs. Johanssen's nibbly bits to his photobucket account, sending links to it all over his twitter feed to his buds, and pretty soon everyone is practicing amateur gynecology on this teacher.

Uhm, but as to why? Dunno. Mrs. Johanssen didn't want anything to do with me so I can't help you.

MMmmmmm Mrs. Johanssen! Matter of fact I did tell all my buddies :laugh:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Not true at all. The age of consent pretty much goes out the window if it involves teacher/student. So a 16 year old could sleep with a 50 year old legally as long as it isn't a teacher at their school. I know in Maryland this is certainly the case.

I'll have to look up how the law differs, if that's the case I think you have a fair point. I do agree, as you seem to, that it is morally wrong, but I'm not sure how I feel about teachers being held to a different legal code than other adults. There is a point that they are in a mandated position of power over children, and that the child doesn't necessarily have the ability to remove himself/herself from an unsafe environment. Hmmmmm, I'll have to think about this. Thank you for the clarification.

I know every age of consent law is different, but I'm pretty sure in most states it becomes a special case when teacher/students are involved.
  • grinch031

I think its unethical in both settings. The objection I have is that a student should not be *selectively* capable of consenting based on the job title of the adult. Either they should have full ability to consent or not. I can't make it any clearer.

Meh...agree to disagree. I would concede that if the student is above the state's age of consent that teacher shouldn't be labeled a sex offender but I do think a criminal punishment is appropriate.

That's fine we disagree, just wanted to make sure my point was understood.

I have a problem with the sex offender registry because I think its stupid and unfair to the lesser criminals. I would prefer a "violent crimes" registry that basically lists the people who are most likely to harm others.
  • I am a teacher (I am almost 28). I can say with absolute certainty, that I have NEVER EVER been attracted to a student. I think any teacher who has, must have serious mental and psychological problems. It is just plain WRONG to even think about a student in that way, let alone act on it. The students are still KIDS! They are children!!

I do have to say though, that the way kids are growing up is very different from the way I grew up. I see 8th graders everyday, who dress provacatively, and hang all over eachother in the hallway. They use "grown" up language, and talk about things I never would have dreamed of talking about when i was that age. A lot of this may have to do with kids growing up way too fast, and emotionally unstable, SICK women.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member

what do these attractive 20 and 30-something year old teachers see in 15 year olds they do not get from 30 year old men? I thought women didn't like guys that "act like children", yet they're sleeping with young men that are almost children

The OPs question was geared toward women wondering what the attraction is. This thread is getting derailed with age of consent nonsense.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    I am a teacher (I almost 28).

Nope. I never had a teacher as hot as you! :love:
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    As a teacher (taught everything from K - college), I will say I have had some pretty hot students. And I will admit that the idea has crossed my mind. And I have flirted with a few a little - one was a former hs student who was then/now (at the time of flirting) 21 and one was a college student.

I will also admit that they have been a fanasty or two on a lonely night.

But, I would never actually go through with it.
    I am a teacher (I almost 28). I can say with absolute certainty, that I have NEVER EVER been attracted to a student. I think any teacher who has, must have serious mental and psychological problems. It is just plain WRONG to even think about a student in that way, let alone act on it. The students are still KIDS! They are children!!

I do have to say though, that the way kids are growing up is very different from the way I grew up. I see 8th graders everyday, who dress provacatively, and hang all over eachother in the hallway. They use "grown" up language, and talk about things I never would have dreamed of talking about when i was that age. A lot of this may have to do with kids growing up way too fast, and emotionally unstable, SICK women.

*eats some 100 Cal Popcorn*
  • gnrduff1
    gnrduff1 Posts: 36 Member
    Here's an additional thought (besides they are screwed up, and the fact that it probably happened in the past too and we didn't know about it).

Pheromones - I KNOW they exist and cause chemical changes in your brain and sex drive. Not only the studies out there; I've experienced it personally. Think about it, an adult in a classroom with 30 teenagers that excrete copious amounts of pheromones for 8 hours a day. It would be enough to drive just about any person that is within their sexual peak sex crazy. They then focus on a couple of guys that meet their definition of 'desireable' and give in to stupid temptations. I'd love to see a sexual study on the amount of (appropriate) sex younger teachers have outside classrooms. I bet they would tilt the tables.
    I actually do think this might be the case, although the actual effect pheromones have with humans is largely debatable. For all we know, humans might not detect them even though we do excrete them. It's nuts, but I feel like my younger teachers were getting theirs.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    The OPs question was geared toward women wondering what the attraction is. This thread is getting derailed with age of consent nonsense.

I did try to answer:
    Fundamentally I don't think women are that different from men. I imagine the reasons would be similar to why men often chase after younger women: virility, the thrill of exposing someone who's inexperienced, taking advantage of a position of power when else in your life may not be, the perception of not having strings attached, and the thrill of taboo all probably play into it.

I think the general consesus has been some combination of those things. Age of consent is applicable because the question of attraction gets complicated when there are severe legal consequences for your actions. That sort of thing usually brings the reasoning to something other than 'well he or she was really hot'.
  • grinch031

I did try to answer:
    Fundamentally I don't think women are that different from men. I imagine the reasons would be similar to why men often chase after younger women: virility, the thrill of exposing someone who's inexperienced, taking advantage of a position of power when else in your life may not be, the perception of not having strings attached, and the thrill of taboo all probably play into it.

I think the general consesus has been some combination of those things. Age of consent is applicable because the question of attraction gets complicated when there are severe legal consequences for your actions. That sort of thing usually brings the reasoning to something other than 'well he or she was really hot'.

Low self esteem, makes them feel like they are still attractive, plus male teens can have the same suave characteristics that adult males have. I think age of consent is relevant to the discussion. When it comes down to it, age is just a number when you're dealing with people who are close to the legal age of adulthood.

Oh and I'm sure there are more cases of male teachers going after female students, but they either don't succeed, or the media doesn't report it because its more expected.
  • darrell62
    darrell62 Posts: 40
    Because they are messed up? They've got to have some sort of 'issue'....

Sums it up right here.... they have issues.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Because their husband isnt good enough? :happy:
  • I think its stamina.

:laugh:
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Maybe they are Male Catholic Priests in disguise. They say beware of wolves in sheep clothing. Or Priests clothing.
  • ...and why wasn't this happening when I was in school, especially with Ms. Jackson?

well said...
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    First of all, I think we spend entirely too much time worrying about what consenting adults are doing in the privacy of their own homes. I'm 31 and I can't fathom being with a 17 year old, but a 17 year old is basically an adult as far as I'm concerned. It's not my business if they want to have sex with a 32 year old.

That being said, certain environments are supposed to be safe places. There's a power dynamic in place in the classroom (which a lot of people find hot, but I digress). Parents don't want to worry about their kids getting boned by the teacher, regardless of gender. Schools are supposed to be a safe place for students to learn. If a therapist has sex with a client they lose their license. It doesn't matter how old the client is, therapy is supposed to be a safe place where clients don't have to worry about getting boned by their therapist.

I don't think a person in their 30s having sex with a person in their late teens should be considered a sex offender. If they're a teacher, they probably should lose their job and perhaps find a different career, one that doesn't involved working with all those sexy, sexy teenagers.