Can you motivate me?

Hi all, I recently turned 29. 2 years ago I gained 25 lbs and so far I have only lost 2. I work from home so I am not doing much physical work throughout the day. However I am committed to working out 2-3 days a week. I really need inspiration. Im sure I could lose weight if I had someone to motivate me. Please help.

Im have really bad eating help and mentally I feel like I cant put the sweets down. I wear my weight well but I dont like my weight number.

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    zombieland_rule1_cardio.jpg
  • Lukazetta
    On a serious note though, you really can't expect much from others when it comes to motivation w/ fitness. Fitness is a lifestyle and you have to want it yourself.

My suggestion: just start fresh, like it's your first day of training, new week/new you. Keep track of your progress to see where you started and make it a habit/lifestyle. It will take time, effort, sacrifice, and money spent on food for smaller and smaller results over time but you will never look back and regret any of it.
  • 29candicanes
    29candicanes Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you. I was more so hoping that when I get the urge to eat bad things-- someone can tap my hand (well not really) and tell me no.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I agree with others, the only person who can motivate you it YOU. Sure, we can say encouraging words, but you're the only one who can put the sweets down or kick your butt off the couch to go to the gym. Strength comes from within.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    I was going to say the same thing as luka. to be honest, the answer is no. this has to be a decision you make for you. it has to be something you make yourself do until it turns into a habit. or, better yet, until it turns into something you actually enjoy.

but, no. I cannot motivate you. nor can anyone else. the responsibility for that lies within you.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    I work from home too and gained weight over the past 3 years while working for my company. You can do it! I get up every 30 minutes and just walk around the house or do 20 jumping jacks...and then keep working. I exercise 5 times per week and try to eat as well as I can (while still indulging in my favorites...pizza and chocolate). The weight has come off super slow (6 months to lose 20lbs), but it has come off. You need to be consistent and be patient. Even if you only lose 1/2 lb a week....eventually it will add up.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Speaking in a fatherly tone of voice: NOW I know you aint gonna eat those damn cookies! I just know you aint. Don't make me come over there; what u say? Girl, you just don't know, get your azz up on that damn workout bench!

How's that ?
  • Lukazetta
    Thank you. I was more so hoping that when I get the urge to eat bad things-- someone can tap my hand (well not really) and tell me no.

You may want to use the daily food diary (make it visible to friends): then add friends who scan them for you daily and give you tips on how to improve your diet or just motivate you to keep eating healthy.

You can add me too if you'd like.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Start a motivation wall/fridge door/etc. with things to remind you what your ultimate goal is.

I'm not tied to just a number, I've set other goals to help me stay committed, like my first half marathon on May 5th.

By far, my most motivational note is "Keep the promises you make to yourself. You are worth it."

You can do it!
  • NiceTee75
    NiceTee75 Posts: 24 Member
    I totally understand where you are coming from and that is exactly how I felt when I first started this new journey/lifestyle. But I had to realize one thing.....no one helped me gain the weight so no one can help me lose it. So as the others have stated, this is something you will have to do on a personal level. And sweetheart let me tell you now, you are going to have rough hours, days, even weeks but as long as you wake up the next day, you still have the opportunity to make the change. Find some personal motivation; buy an article of clothing in a smaller size and every time you want to eat something bad, look at that clothing and ask yourself is that slice of key lime pie (my weakness) worth your goals!!! Whatever you do, don't give up!!!!
  • NiceTee75
    NiceTee75 Posts: 24 Member
    Speaking in a fatherly tone of voice: NOW I know you aint gonna eat those damn cookies! I just know you aint. Don't make me come over there; what u say? Girl, you just don't know, get your azz up on that damn workout bench!

How's that ?

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    It is so hard when you work at home, or have a desk job of any kind to keep from eating. You have come to the right place! I know that a few have said that only YOU can motivate YOU, but if we aren't here to help motivate eachother what is the point of having friends on here? Besides the strong want and will to make changes in your life it is important to have a positive support system that can help get you started and also motivate/hold you up when things get tough or you start to slide. :)
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    I am a stay at home mom, and I have done it.,You'll find a way to stay active. One thing you CAN'T expect is for others to motivate you, I believe motivation comes within. You have to want it, we can only support and be there along the way.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member

How's that ?

Everyone should have such a motivational father figure...:wink:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    You can be inspired by others, but you can only motivate yourself. I found looking at other people's success stories and before&After pictures to be very inspiring.
  • Fitness is one of those things to where you have to be self-motivated, if your losing the weight to please yourself it should be easy. Make a workout plan, a calorie plan, be realistic about it and stick to it, holidays, weekends and those days that you just feel like crap for no reason, good luck!!!
  • laangelitalokita
    laangelitalokita Posts: 4 Member
    I think other people can help to motivate you. I've started running and talked six of my coworkers into running with me. It's so much easier when you've got other people to help you and keep you accountable. We work nights, and this morning when we got off, we ran 2 miles! We're using the couch 2 5k training program, and we've signed up for 2 5ks this summer.
    As far as needing someone to mentally slap your hand and tell you to put the food down, use the food diary. I try and look at my plate, but my food in my diary. Then when I'm full (not when my plate is clean! Big difference), I go back and deduct what I didn't actually want. It makes it a whole lot easier to stop eating when I'm full instead of feeling like, "Oh, it's only a few more bites, may as well finish it."
    Hope this helps and good luck!!
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    When I get the urge to want something sweet, I think twice about it. If that doesn't work, I start doing crunches or leg lifts until it goes away. When I'm done, I feel so much better because the urge is gone and I get to add to my log which I do immediately!
  • 29candicanes
    29candicanes Posts: 30 Member
    Wow... Im loving feedback. I feel like I cant let myself and you all down. Im ready to do this!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,848 Member
    I agree with the others. We can't motivate you.

However, we can support you as you work to accomplish your goals.

Set up goals and mini-goals for yourself and try to meet them.

That's what motivated me and kept me going along with the support from great friends on here.

Reach for your dreams!