How do you get your protein?

Replies

• sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    I have varied sources of protein, and didn't know I wasn't getting enough protein until I started supplementing with protein powders like Whey Protein. My breakfast usually is a protein powder with 1% milk, and that gets my day started.

About an hour later I am hungry so I eat my real breakfast, usually 2 jumbo eggs over easy, a 6 oz cut of poached salmon, about 4 oz of cottage cheese mixed with 2 spoonfuls of flax seed oil, about 4 oz of 2% Greek Yogurt plain. So, most of my proteins come from whey/dairy sources, with lean meats, fish like salmon and tuna, black bean chili, and I snack on seeds and nuts throughout the day.

If you really need a protein boost and can handle sucralose, I also drink Isopure Black Tea and Green Tea ready-to-drink 20 oz bottles, 40g protein per bottle.

Thanks to this app, I found out I eat anywhere from 260-400g of protein per day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    I have come to the conclusion that protein just isn't that important.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Half a pound of meat, 2 scoops of whey, and plenty of cheese. The rest is residual protein through other sources. That's on a cut, though. Things change once at maintenance or bulk. Fattier cuts of meat is my preference but I simply can't justify it on a cut. Makes me sad. :( I miss my strip steak, ribeye, and 80/20-85/15 burgers.
  • 4 once chicken breast = 25 grams protein
    1 egg = 14 grams protein
    142 grams plain greek yogurt = 12 grams protein
    cup 2% milk = 9 grams protein
    1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds = 5 grams protein
    1 once pine nuts = 4 grams protein
    1 once goat cheese = 4 grams protein
    1 tablespoon peanutbutter = 3 grams protein

I tend to put allot of those things in my shakes.

What kind of eggs are you eating? Ostrich eggs?

Also, you saying plain Greek yogurt is ambiguous, as you're not stating the fat percentage.

I'm with Aeolian on this, though. Meat, whey, and dairy.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Half a pound of meat, 2 scoops of whey, and plenty of cheese. The rest is residual protein through other sources. That's on a cut, though. Things change once at maintenance or bulk. Fattier cuts of meat is my preference but I simply can't justify it on a cut. Makes me sad. :( I miss my strip steak, ribeye, and 80/20-85/15 burgers.

<--- New York Strip one to two times per week. 12oz cuts, medium rare with a nice char. OMG.

Will see if I can keep that up when I start my cut =)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Greek yogurt, Nitrate free lunch meat, Chicken breasts, Clif builders, milk, working in some beans.
  • sphinxdust
    Actually, aside from water, the whole point of your biological existence is for your body to synthesize protein to keep your body alive. It is true that your body will use all available amino acids to build protein, and can survive on little protein. Beyond just surviving, however, protein and water are probably the two most important things, along with fats and carbohydrates as third and fourth, you must consume.
    It depends secondarily upon what your goals are. If I wanted to lose 10-15 lbs fast, I would eat about 1/3 less protein and temporarily become a vegetarian or vegan. If I want to gain weight without worrying what I look like, I'd eat twice as many carbs as I do now. Every person is different, at different times!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    All the previously mentioned plus....... Red Kidney Beans.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Actually, aside from water, the whole point of your biological existence is for your body to synthesize protein to keep your body alive. It is true that your body will use all available amino acids to build protein, and can survive on little protein. Beyond just surviving, however, protein and water are probably the two most important things, along with fats and carbohydrates as third and fourth, you must consume.
    It depends secondarily upon what your goals are. If I wanted to lose 10-15 lbs fast, I would eat about 1/3 less protein and temporarily become a vegetarian or vegan. If I want to gain weight without worrying what I look like, I'd eat twice as many carbs as I do now. Every person is different, at different times!

Well I am a permanent vegetarian, I eat around 45g protein a day, and somehow still manage to maintain a very healthy muscle bulk.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Lentils, beans and dairy mainly. Also eggs, chicken and fish.
  • fingerpaints
    fingerpaints Posts: 13 Member
    I make protein shakes. These have seriously changed my breakfast habits forever (I kinda hate breakfast). It comes in at about 218 calories and 26g of protein, not bad at all and seriously tastes like a milkshake.

- 1 scoop of protein powder (I use designer whey vanilla)
    - 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese
    - 3/4 cup silk pure coconut vanilla milk
    - LOTS of ice
    - 2 packets of stevia
    - 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Feel free to view my diary. I focus heavily on protein with shakes, bars, and various foods especially chicken, turkey, beans and nuts. I hit 190 grams yesterday for the first time ever. I generally shoot for 110-120 per day.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Bump
  • sphinxdust

Well I am a permanent vegetarian, I eat around 45g protein a day, and somehow still manage to maintain a very healthy muscle bulk.
    That's fantastic! I wish I could do that! I was a vegetarian for 12 years, then I gave it up to be an omnivore. I am now in the best shape of my life, and am stronger than I've ever been. Nutrition is everything, do what works for you and don't let anyone tell you different.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Greek yogurt
    Beans
    eggs

I never drink protein shakes, nothing against them just that I meet my goal with just foods
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    bump...i need to get way more protein too!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Lentils & pulses are good for added protein in soups & stews. You can also make them into low sugar cookies!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    canned chicken breast ( I rinse them )
    protein bars
    Kashi Go Lean cereal
    protein powders

That's where I get most of mine from.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Bump. I'm not a huge chicken fan and I'm getting tired of the turkey and tuna I've been eating.
  • My main sources are chicken, extra lean ground turkey, beans, eggs, and cottage cheese. I used to do the Whey Protein shakes, but recently haven't been using them and I still exceed my daily protein goal on a regular basis. =)