Green Smoothies

boggsmeister
boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
I just acquired a Vitamix blender with the intention of obtaining most of my vitamin needs from fresh produce smoothies. The idea is the use vegetables as much as possible because of their low calorie content, with fruit to provide sweetness and flavor for palatability.

Any ideas?

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    I love putting spinach in all my smoothies :) I've combined spinach, banana, and pineapple & kiwi, spinach, vanilla protien powder and almond milk.
  • Spinach is great and there is no taste to it in a smoothie. I've used kale also, but it will give your smoothie some texture. I LOVE cucumber so I throw some in also.
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Congrats on your Vitamix blender! I use mine quite frequently. I make a green smoothie using 1 1/2 cups of kale (you can use spinach too or a combo of both), 1 cup of grapes, 1 orange peeled, 1 banana ( I freeze my bananas), 1 cored pear, 1/4 lemon peeled and seeded, 1 T of chia seeds, 1 cup of ice and 1/2 cup of water. Blend all ingredients together. I start on variable at a low number and as the ingredients get chopped I speed it up gradually to 10, then I switch to high until everything is well blended. This makes 3 servings in a tall glass at about 115 calories each. I usually split it with my boyfriend in the morning. My kids love this recipe too!
  • boggsmeister
    Just did a little research on kale. Wow, it's quite a bit better than spinach, and spinach is good stuff.
  • boggsmeister
    Congrats on your Vitamix blender! I use mine quite frequently. I make a green smoothie using 1 1/2 cups of kale (you can use spinach too or a combo of both), 1 cup of grapes, 1 orange peeled, 1 banana ( I freeze my bananas), 1 cored pear, 1/4 lemon peeled and seeded, 1 T of chia seeds, 1 cup of ice and 1/2 cup of water. Blend all ingredients together. I start on variable at a low number and as the ingredients get chopped I speed it up gradually to 10, then I switch to high until everything is well blended. This makes 3 servings in a tall glass at about 115 calories each. I usually split it with my boyfriend in the morning. My kids love this recipe too!

That sounds great. Nice low calorie count too. I might add more chia or flax for myself due to higher calorie needs, but my fiance will be thrilled to know she can get good smoothies at that low of a calorie count.
  • photogmama
    photogmama Posts: 32 Member
    I love my vitamixer blender! Try to not do too many fruits as it jacks up your sugar. I love to add some raw honey in mine with a bunch of veggies.
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    I was just looking for green smoothie recipes! Thanks for this thread :-)
  • boggsmeister
    bumpage
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    I co-run a smoothie shop, and we make "popeye" shakes which consist of

Kale
    cucumbers
    celery
    zucchini
    ginger
    parsley
    sprouted mung beans (we just sprout them for 24 hours)
    a pear, or apple, or whatever fruit you have
    hemp hearts
    water.

It takes getting used to, but I'm addicted to it.
  • Nomi3
    Nomi3 Posts: 13 Member
    Bump
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    I don't make smoothies, I do juice however! I love to mix, 2 apples (for sweetness), kale, cucumber, celery, and some ginger.. So delicious!
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    I am constantly making green smoothies. I love a choclate peanut butter smoothie: i use 2 cups spinach, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, tbsp of peanut butter, a banana and some vanilla yogurt. Otherwise just experiment...thats what i've been doing. Bananas mask most tastes of veggies and spinach is so very easy to use because you don't taste it! I've used frozen peas, those work fine. cooked carrots are also great!
  • There are a lot of good ones on the Dr. Oz site. My favorite is Spinach, vanilla protein powder, oatmeal. flax oil, banana, and a low fat strawberry yogurt with almond milk...Yummy.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    I use:

Whole bunch of fresh spinach or half a large container of prewashed fresh spinach
    A bunch of parsley
    1 whole cucumber
    3 stalks celery
    about 3 inches of ginger, unpeeled
    1/2 granny smith apple
    1/2 d'anjou pear

If you like it a little sweeter, you can use the whole apple and pear. Tastes great and is whoa! Good for you.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    I use:

Whole bunch of fresh spinach or half a large container of prewashed fresh spinach
    A bunch of parsley
    1 whole cucumber
    3 stalks celery
    about 3 inches of ginger, unpeeled
    1/2 granny smith apple
    1/2 d'anjou pear

If you like it a little sweeter, you can use the whole apple and pear. Tastes great and is whoa! Good for you.

This is a juicing recipe too, BTW
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Green Smoothie

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Get your daily dose of dark leafy greens any time of day with this delicious green smoothie. Ground flaxseed adds omega-3s. Pour any extra into a freezer-pop mold and have it later as a frozen green smoothie pop.

Servings: 2

Yield: 2 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each

Total Time: 10

Prep Time: 10

Recipe Ingredients:
    1.2 ripe medium bananas
    2.1 ripe pear, or apple, peeled if desired, chopped
    3.2 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed (see Notes)
    4.1/2 cup cold orange juice
    5.1/2 cup cold water
    6.12 ice cubes
    7.1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, (see Notes)
    Recipe Steps:
    1.Place bananas, pear (or apple), kale, orange juice, water, ice cubes and flaxseed in a blender. Pulse a few times, then puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
    Recipe Nutrition:
    Per serving: 240 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 8 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 987 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (210% daily value), Vitamin C (208% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (18% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 3

Exchanges:2 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable

Special Health Considerations:
    Low Calorie - High Fiber - Low Sat Fat - Low Cholesterol - Low Sodium - High Potassium - Heart Healthy - Healthy Weight - Gluten Free Diet
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    bump
  • Bump
  • Ballard12
    Ballard12 Posts: 109
    http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/ is a great website with tons of Green Smoothie recipes and all the nutritional information to go with each one
  • boggsmeister
    Thanks everyone. These are fantastic ideas. I'm a decent cook and am not afraid to dive in and make up my own stuff, but it sure it great seeing what everyone else has been successful doing. It cuts down on those expensive, and terrible tasting mistakes. If you have more ideas, don't be afraid to keep them coming. Maybe we can keep reviving this thing and make it a really good green smoothie thread.