What do YOU do to stop a binge BEFORE it happens

Replies

• orsker
    orsker Posts: 2
    I have only been really watching what i eat and working out for about 2-3 weeks now. I was a totally binge eater before. Ya know, no one is around, eat a bunch of chocolate, big glass of wine, whole bag of popcorn (buttery!). But as I am changing what I eat as more of a lifestyle change instead of a diet, i find my body either rejects the crappy food (ie the donut i ate the other day made me nauseas) or I look forward to treats on like say a weekend evening. Like i can have that glass a wine (albet small this time), i can enjoy the popcorn (sans tons of butter) and i feel really good about it. Also, now i force myself when i know the binge is on, to grab the quickest healthiest thing and enjoy that first. Coming home from the gym and i still have calories to fill, old me would grab whatever, now just a few weeks later i grab a banana or maybe a big cold glass of chocolate milk (1%). Once i feel full and satisfied, the binge cravings go away. I still think about all that good and greasy and fatty but oh so yummy foods all the time, but since i am also a former smoker, i think about cigarettes all the time too. But the difference now is that i feel better about myself when i make the healthier choice. I have no idea if this helps at all but you are not alone.
  • ellaay
    ellaay Posts: 1
    I usually read a bunch of magazines. Models, celebs with perfect figures, health advice. I find all this inspirational (:
    I usually keep sliced cucumbers in the fridge so when I feel a binge coming, I take out the container and munch on the cucumbers. ^^
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Sometimes, I give in. If it is late at night and I have not had a "cheat meal" in a while I will do it...I kow that doing it for the night is better than doing an entire cheat day! Otherwise, I go workout or do yoga. Or keep myself busy with something else (like scanning MFP topics). Sometimes looking up healthier versions to make for junk foods I want really helps. And I made the best vegan peanut butter cookies the other day and LOVE them. (Even though I am not vegan). It is a great way to try new things.

Also, Medjrol (spelling?) dates are VERY sweet...so if you have a sweet tooth eathing just ONE of those will do the trick. That, or you could find a bunch of brownie/cake recipes using those instead a bunch of other foods.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    I have a huge problem on the weekends. Like someone else said...at work, you control more of what you eat because you cant readily eat whenever like when your home and can jsut go to the fridge or cabinet.

But, I find that when I am sitting around, not busy, at home is when I eat or "crave" more. It is more boredom with me.

To start, get rid of all the "junk" around the house. Easier said then done for me becuase of my husband but, I am working on him too. Then, replace it with Fruits, veggies, and lower calorie "snacks." This way, when you do get those "binge" feelings, it isnt as bad. Also, like other say, keep drinking your water! It fills you up more and you dont want or have room for other stuff.

A little hint someone else told me...if you are a SWEETS craver, the EXTRA DESSERT gums are GREAT for the hint of sweetness!! I personally like the Mint Chocolate Chip one...AMAZING!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! (to both of us!)
  • Charliesuccess
    Charliesuccess Posts: 181 Member
    "bump"
  • kassied09
    Walk around my house half naked... Seriously. I have found the more I can see of my body, the less likely I am to gorge myself on the sweets I constantly crave.

That actually is a good idea...
  • kassied09
    Oh, also...Artic Zero is my hero. (Rhyme!) 150 calories for a pint (ice cream subsititute) and though it is definitely not healthy, it isn't the worst thing either. Downside? I am so addicted! BUT it is great to be able to 'binge' and know that it is only 150 calories. Best of both worlds! And I think the vanilla maple and chocolate mint are better than actual ice cream...
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Find what is triggering it...for me it has been emotional eating has always been my down fall. I tried to get a control of that and my binging is less severe.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Walk around my house half naked... Seriously. I have found the more I can see of my body, the less likely I am to gorge myself on the sweets I constantly crave.

AWESOME! I feel the same way. Sometimes I'll even workout in my underwear and a sports bra. I feel like when I'm in my yoga pants and a loose t-shirt, I can mask the parts of my body I'm the most self-conscious about. If I'm in my underwear (or less!) I feel much more in tune with my body and its much easier to aim for the prize and not binge.

That being said, its not always an appropriate time to strip down when you're in binge mode. I've noticed that by increasing my daily calories and eating more during the week, I don't feel as deprived on the weekends.

....and also coming to terms that the amount of alcohol I consume (or used to consume) needs to be regulated....drinking calories + drunk cravings = fridge-raiding/pizza ordering Susie :drinker:
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    I do not mean to presume but I have found that a large number of people who continuously diet and are overweight have a tendency to binge. I am one of them. I work so hard during the week make great progress then gain it all back and then some on the weekend.

Any tricks out there to help me the next time a binge is knocking at my determination and willpower?

Thanks for taking the time:wink:

1. Do check that you are eating enough. Find out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) if you haven't already and try to eat that amount every day. (I know I become a moody cow if I don't eat at least 1600 but generally happiest around 1700 - my BMR)

2. One thing that helped me a lot was to be able to distinguish real hunger from a craving.. sounds simple but it just had never occurred to me that there was a difference.
    If you feel the hunger below your neck (e.g. rumbling tummy) it's real hunger. If you feel it ABOVE your neck and especially if you're craving something specific, it's emotional!

3. Have the food you normally crave in small portions during the week or pick healthier alternatives.
    For example, if I'm craving fries, I'll go down to the shops and grill my own instead of buying them deep fried from McDs.
    If I want cheesecake on Tuesday, I'll buy a slice, go out for a run and enjoy it that same day instead of gorging myself on a whole cake during the weekend!
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    The weekdays are easier for me because I control what food I keep at work. Weekends are harder. However, I do multiple workouts on the weekend. This gives me more calories to play with, but it also suppresses my appetite (less time to eat, and I crave healthier foods after exercising).

Drink more water. Clear out the junk food. Do not allow yourself to go through a drive-thru. Keep lots of fruit and healthy snacks around the house. Cook good, clean meals and dishes.

Agree completely!! If your time allows it, work out, for some reason I will not eat bad if I have worked out, I don't want to ruin all that hard work I just put in. Water, Water, Water, can't ever go wrong drinking lots of water, half the time you think you are hungry, you are just thirsty! The other thing that helps me until I get back on track, is I carry my phone with me, and immediately log every food I put in my mouth, it really hits home when you see what you are eating. Best of luck to you!
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Bump-Great topic. I'll be back after work :wink:
  • pinn44
    pinn44 Posts: 68
    3. Have the food you normally crave in small portions during the week or pick healthier alternatives.
    For example, if I'm craving fries, I'll go down to the shops and grill my own instead of buying them deep fried from McDs.
    If I want cheesecake on Tuesday, I'll buy a slice, go out for a run and enjoy it that same day instead of gorging myself on a whole cake during the weekend!

Everything in moderation and exercising helps you to afford a treat.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    For me, bingeing was a way of proving to myself that I was in control. I would binge when I felt other areas of my life were out of control. Stress at home = go to the grocery store and pick out something horrible to eat in the privacy of my car.

I have changed my need for control by logging my food into MFP. Now, I can see exactly how many calories, how much I've eaten, etc. I record EVERYTHING, even if it's ugly. It is starting to get pretty tedious (after 4 months) but it is certainly allowing me a huge amount of control. I know how much I weigh and keep track of it every day. I know what I'm eating and how many calories I have left for the day. I don't have the *need* to go binge any more.

Stress at home = go for a drive, just get out of the house for a while. Sometimes i will roam the grocery store, just being out among other people helps me feel better. If I can't leave without buying something, I make sure it is a "healthy treat" like a Zone Perfect bar, or at least something that won't affect my calories like a Diet Coke.

Another reason I would binge is if I was getting too hungry and feeling deprived. I don't really feel deprived any more, because I make sure I'm getting good nutrition and I am in control of what goes into my body. I have my semi-healthy "cheats" that keep my on track (like the previously mentioned Zone Perfect bar, or the Fiber One 90 calorie brownies.) And I don't allow myself to go out for any length of time without some food planned or prepared. If I know I'm going to go shopping for 3 hours, chances are I'm going to be hungry at some point, so I bring along my water bottle (always!) and a snack to tide me over.

Hope this helps!
  • xxrainxx
    xxrainxx Posts: 44 Member
    oh its so bad for me on the weekends its like i have no control :mad:
    its after a night drinking alcohol all i want is carbs carbs and more carbs

Ive gotten a good few tips from this so thanks everyone :heart:
  • kassied09

2. One thing that helped me a lot was to be able to distinguish real hunger from a craving.. sounds simple but it just had never occurred to me that there was a difference.
    If you feel the hunger below your neck (e.g. rumbling tummy) it's real hunger. If you feel it ABOVE your neck and especially if you're craving something specific, it's emotional!

I like this a lot! Something new to keep in mind.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    I struggle with weekends, too. I think because my husband runs and lifts and eats to eat like 3x as much as I do, so I see him eating and want to eat, too.....

To try to avoid it I:

- Go for a long bike ride to burn a crapton of calories... then I can eat a bit more.

- "Complete" my diary in MFP for the day. For some reason that is enough for me mentally and I am convinced that I cannot eat any more.

- Tell my husband I can't eat more. Then he gives me that slightly judge-y look if I grab something else.

-Claim a "crazy" day and jump back on the wagon the day after. :smile:
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    I actually just wrote a blog about this, I saw a psychiatrist for this very reason (depending on how serious and frequent it is, binge eating is a type of disordered eating, especially when paired with restrictive eating at other times).

I wrote about the first few steps she had me take (don't want to make this too long but check it out if you are curious -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ahadj ). I have a feeling that eventually she will try to wean me off calorie counting altogether; from what she said the binge is almost a kind of subconscious "rebellion" against the counting.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    I dont buy or keep the junk food around me. When its staring you in the face its a lot harder to abstain from it.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    when i dieted, i ended up binging
    but now im not dieting (eating only certain foods, makes me want the "bad" food mores" )

this is a lifestyle change,so nothing is off limits, just in smaller portions :heart:

the 1st week of April i had cheese burgers, burriots, fried chicken etc (lost 2.6)
    it was in moderation though and it fit in my calories ..

i stated cutting out fast food in November, and joined MFP March 2nd ( no binges )
    :bigsmile:

ETA: i do eat fast food occasionaly - maybe 4 /5 times since November
    most of my food now gets cooked at home .. where as b4 me and hubby had a bad habbit of eating out almost every day for our meals

eta part 2:
    the cheese burgers are cooked a forman grill at home, w/ ketchups,lettuce , tomatoe and cheese and its the best burger i have had yet .. the burritos i make at home too, beans down 1st, a lil bit of meat, i found this 5 layer dip (40 cals for 2 tblsp) i use 1 per burrito, then load it down with veggies too (better than tace bell)