Guilt Free Chips and Salsa

Replies

• I will try these for sure! Thanks for posting!
  • bdp79
    bdp79 Posts: 5 Member
    Can't wait to try this! I have been craving chips and salsa since I started trying to lose weight in January. 12 chips and salsa is about 180 calories. I have been doing without other things to eat this. I normally don't like hot or spicy salsa but I have moved up to medium salsa and have actually started adding jalepena's to different things.
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    My dear friends. If you like corn tortillas and If available where you live, try yo buy Nopal tortillas (only 20 cal each) while normal tortillas are 60 to 110 cal each one. Si if you cut tortillas in 6 parts and bake them (without oil) each totopo (as we call in mexico corn chips) would be about 3.33 calories (almost nothing)

In nopal tortillas only little corn is used and the main ingredient is Nopal (a kind of mexican cactus widely consumed in mexico and with lots of health benefits almost no calories in it (good to lower cholesterol, sugar, etc), taste is excellent, you would not notice the difference.

Also try to prepare your own salsa or pico de gallo using natural ingredients (fresh jalapeño or serrano chile, tomato, onion, coriander, etc), processed salsa usually tastes artificial and have lots of sugar in it.
    I am mexican and I can give you lots of authentic salsa recipes.

:D
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Also try to prepare your own salsa or pico de gallo using natural ingredients (fresh jalapeño or serrano chile, tomato, onion, coriander, etc), processed salsa usually tastes artificial and have lots of sugar in it.

Plus they're loaded with sodium! Needless to say
    I want you on my friends list so I can see you're
    recipes when MFP allows you to!
  • Kulli1
    Kulli1 Posts: 34 Member
    bump
  • majarvis
    majarvis Posts: 6 Member
    bump
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    My dear friends. If you like corn tortillas and If available where you live, try yo buy Nopal tortillas (only 20 cal each) while normal tortillas are 60 to 110 cal each one. Si if you cut tortillas in 6 parts and bake them (without oil) each totopo (as we call in mexico corn chips) would be about 3.33 calories (almost nothing)

In nopal tortillas only little corn is used and the main ingredient is Nopal (a kind of mexican cactus widely consumed in mexico and with lots of health benefits almost no calories in it (good to lower cholesterol, sugar, etc), taste is excellent, you would not notice the difference.

:D

What a great tip! I had never heard of nopal, before. I'll have to read up on them.

I use 40 calorie corn tortillas and cut them into 8 pieces. I've been well pleased with them but now you've given me a new adventure to take.

Thanks!

-Chelle
  • beefunk
    beefunk Posts: 52 Member
    bump
  • Stacyd73
    Stacyd73 Posts: 30 Member
    Bump
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Bump
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    bump
  • Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Bump
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Chips & salsa are one of my biggest weaknesses. I am going to try this - thanks!!
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    bump
  • BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Bump
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Delicious! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Thank you!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Bump. :love:
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    YOU ARE MY NEW FAVORITE PERSON TODAY!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANK YOU!!!!!

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter