Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Thanks Lucia. Its kinda funny you mention the protien in the yogurt!. I have been eating Fage greek yogurt for months, but switched to this Greek Gods Greek yogurt because it was cheaper and I wanted a yogurt with some fat in it (I was getting very little fat in the am). Well I read the label for the sugar and fat content but never looked at the protein content. I assumed it was greek yogurt it was high. I noticed this AM it only has 4 or 5 grams! Pffffffff. Oh well, lesson learned. Too bad I have a tub and half of the stuff.

I only earned 220 from a workout yesterday, the rest was the fitbit adjustment. I tend to ignore that because it always gives me a ridulous amount of extra calories. Should I eat back my fitbit adjustment?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Thanks Lucia. Its kinda funny you mention the protien in the yogurt!. I have been eating Fage greek yogurt for months, but switched to this Greek Gods Greek yogurt because it was cheaper and I wanted a yogurt with some fat in it (I was getting very little fat in the am). Well I read the label for the sugar and fat content but never looked at the protein content. I assumed it was greek yogurt it was high. I noticed this AM it only has 4 or 5 grams! Pffffffff. Oh well, lesson learned. Too bad I have a tub and half of the stuff.

I only earned 220 from a workout yesterday, the rest was the fitbit adjustment. I tend to ignore that because it always gives me a ridulous amount of extra calories. Should I eat back my fitbit adjustment?

I suggest eating TDEE - 15% daily and on workout days only start eating more if you net less than BMR...I sometimes eat up to cut back on workout days if I am hungry...listen to your body!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    first group that i have joined!! happy to be here.

so, to crunch my numbers...(rounding a little up or down to get even able to remember numbers)

BMR = 1450
    TDEE = 2250
    TDEE - 15% = 1900

so, i should reset my daily goal to 1900 (HOLY BEJEEZUS!!) and make sure that i never go below 1450 net on exercise days.

that right?

if so, that is so doable.
  • ANewLucia
    first group that i have joined!! happy to be here.

so, to crunch my numbers...(rounding a little up or down to get even able to remember numbers)

BMR = 1450
    TDEE = 2250
    TDEE - 15% = 1900

so, i should reset my daily goal to 1900 (HOLY BEJEEZUS!!) and make sure that i never go below 1450 net on exercise days.

that right?

if so, that is so doable.

Yes it is...make sure to try and get in one gram of protein per pound of body weight...I hope you are doing some type of strength training program for transforming the shape of your body...if not, consider it...either way eat the 1900 cals...Glad you are here!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Sorry to run my numbers by you when I should have read all the pushpinned posts first. I do, however, need some clarification on this statement...
    ...make sure to try and get in one gram of protein per pound of body weight...

...that would be 152 grams of protein how often?

edited to add.....Nevermind!! I get it. The 40/30/30 is percentages. Got it.
  • ANewLucia
    Sorry to run my numbers by you when I should have read all the pushpinned posts first. I do, however, need some clarification on this statement...
    ...make sure to try and get in one gram of protein per pound of body weight...

...that would be 152 grams of protein how often?

edited to add.....Nevermind!! I get it. The 40/30/30 is percentages. Got it.

Per day.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    I'm also eating 1900-2000 cals for a deficit right now. I put on about 5-10lbs during TOM, that's just a fact that I observed over the years, so I just have to ride it out. I was up 10 at the beginning of this week, slowly creeping back down, but still up around 3-4lbs. Once you live this way for a while, you get a better understanding of how to use the scale as just another tool.

We are women. The fluctuations will always be there, and some things affect them more than others.

I'd suggest investing in a good digestive enzyme for the ladies that are upping cals, because your body may need some assistance as it learns to adjust. That is a huge area that begins to lack when we eat low cal for a while, so patience is required for your body to re-learn how to deal w/having the right amount of food. In the beginning, it's still trying to figure out exactly how to allocate to the food to areas that it previously shut down/minimized when we were eating less. Once the "delegation" of nutrients pans out, it becomes a smoother process.

*****And ladies that are lifting weights*****, especially if you are new to lifting weights. EXPECT a "gain" on the scale whenever you start a new program. Weight lifting changes your body because when you lift weights, you put minor tears in to the muscle. The muscle then repairs itself to become bigger, stronger, tighter. Water is pulled into the muscle as a natural bodily reaction in order to "protect" this muscle while it undergoes the repair. Water weight is actually a pretty good indication that you hit the muscle hard, and it's now doing it's thing. Don't despair, your body is at work making you look leaner, tighter and sculpted in the long run. It's all good... :wink: If you're feeling a little overwhelmed by the water weight, or you feel bloated the day after weights, just do a short cardio/yoga session, and drink extra water, to release any "excess" lactic acid or water from the muscle. Some will still remain (as it's still necessary for repair), but some of the excess will be flushed and you will not feel so "pudgy".

What kind of digestive enzyme? Purpose? I'm bloated beyond belief right now, and super gassy. Yes, TMI, I know :) I just got my period, so hoping all this excess will go away after it's over. I'm eating about the same types of food, but just increased calories. I am aiming for more veggies, so I don't know if the fiber is the culprit or what. This bloating/gas is making me really uncomfortable. My rings are even tight at night. My sodium hasn't increased either (I aim to keep it below 2500). I'm generally hitting my macros of 40/30/30, too. I just can't figure out what's causing this new bloating/gas stuff. Yuck.
  • ANewLucia
    I'm also eating 1900-2000 cals for a deficit right now. I put on about 5-10lbs during TOM, that's just a fact that I observed over the years, so I just have to ride it out. I was up 10 at the beginning of this week, slowly creeping back down, but still up around 3-4lbs. Once you live this way for a while, you get a better understanding of how to use the scale as just another tool.

We are women. The fluctuations will always be there, and some things affect them more than others.

I'd suggest investing in a good digestive enzyme for the ladies that are upping cals, because your body may need some assistance as it learns to adjust. That is a huge area that begins to lack when we eat low cal for a while, so patience is required for your body to re-learn how to deal w/having the right amount of food. In the beginning, it's still trying to figure out exactly how to allocate to the food to areas that it previously shut down/minimized when we were eating less. Once the "delegation" of nutrients pans out, it becomes a smoother process.

*****And ladies that are lifting weights*****, especially if you are new to lifting weights. EXPECT a "gain" on the scale whenever you start a new program. Weight lifting changes your body because when you lift weights, you put minor tears in to the muscle. The muscle then repairs itself to become bigger, stronger, tighter. Water is pulled into the muscle as a natural bodily reaction in order to "protect" this muscle while it undergoes the repair. Water weight is actually a pretty good indication that you hit the muscle hard, and it's now doing it's thing. Don't despair, your body is at work making you look leaner, tighter and sculpted in the long run. It's all good... :wink: If you're feeling a little overwhelmed by the water weight, or you feel bloated the day after weights, just do a short cardio/yoga session, and drink extra water, to release any "excess" lactic acid or water from the muscle. Some will still remain (as it's still necessary for repair), but some of the excess will be flushed and you will not feel so "pudgy".

What kind of digestive enzyme? Purpose? I'm bloated beyond belief right now, and super gassy. Yes, TMI, I know :) I just got my period, so hoping all this excess will go away after it's over. I'm eating about the same types of food, but just increased calories. I am aiming for more veggies, so I don't know if the fiber is the culprit or what. This bloating/gas is making me really uncomfortable. My rings are even tight at night. My sodium hasn't increased either (I aim to keep it below 2500). I'm generally hitting my macros of 40/30/30, too. I just can't figure out what's causing this new bloating/gas stuff. Yuck.

I hve used a papaya enzyme that I purchased from www.vitacost.com.

Make sure to chew your food thoroughly as well.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Yes, I agree w/Papaya. I've purchased from Vitamin Shoppe, but I think I've even seen it at Walmart before. A good probiotic as well as a Lactose enzyme can help if you feel that the digestion issues are stemming from lactose (which is very possible if dairy intake has risen w/cals)
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Hi-

I'm in week 2 of eating more and was wondering how long this "goat bloat" last? My abdomen feels distended and it's not a pleasant feeling.

Thanks ladies:flowerforyou:
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Bump to read later.

Good info!
  • ANewLucia
    Hi-

I'm in week 2 of eating more and was wondering how long this "goat bloat" last? My abdomen feels distended and it's not a pleasant feeling.

Thanks ladies:flowerforyou:

I didn't have bloat I guess because I started my upping slowly ignorantly then found info and only bumped up 300...but try some papaya enzyme, that should help. I have no idea how long the bloating lasts. Maybe Kiki will jump in on this one...
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Im in week 7. The bloating for me lasted about 3-4 weeks. Digestive enzymes have helped tons !
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    I'm in week 4 and still showing a gain on the scales and quite bloated.

Can I have some more info on these digestive enzymes? What are they and where can I buy them?

Thanks!
  • 31prvrbs
    I definitely recommend digestive enzymes and a good probiotic when upping cals. My body was VERY sensitive to the increases, and I had done some low carbing as well, so I noticed that I had to add those a bit more slowly, because my body would bloat like crazy while it was readjusting to having some healthy carbs in the system again.

I'd recommend Source Naturals brand digestive enzymes or Papaya for digestion; Pearls Probiotics, & maybe even Lactaid if you feel that the issues stem from lactose increase.

Most products can be purchased at your local vitamin store (I purchase from Vitamin Shoppe), drug store, Amazon.com, or even Walmart. ;)

Here's an Amazon link to the enzymes:
    Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes, 500mg, 360 Capsules
    http://amzn.com/B000GFSVPU

Kiki
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    I definitely recommend digestive enzymes and a good probiotic when upping cals. My body was VERY sensitive to the increases, and I had done some low carbing as well, so I noticed that I had to add those a bit more slowly, because my body would bloat like crazy while it was readjusting to having some healthy carbs in the system again.

I'd recommend Source Naturals brand digestive enzymes or Papaya for digestion; Pearls Probiotics, & maybe even Lactaid if you feel that the issues stem from lactose increase.

Most products can be purchased at your local vitamin store (I purchase from Vitamin Shoppe), drug store, Amazon.com, or even Walmart. ;)

Here's an Amazon link to the enzymes:
    Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes, 500mg, 360 Capsules
    http://amzn.com/B000GFSVPU

Kiki

Thanks Kiki, that is really helpful :flowerforyou:

Will have a look in our local Holland & Barrets
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    My situation is different than most and I have several questions. I'll ask them after I have a chance to read all the posts here. Thank you for these posts. There may be hope for me too! =D
  • 31prvrbs
    I hope so, Steffie! :happy:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    I've been taking webber naturals - complete probiotic supplement every day and i havent had any bloating thank goodness.

After 2 weeks, I am however up 4 lbs, and DOWN 3.5 inches!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    :flowerforyou: Thanks Ladies!