Anybody on Metformin?

Hi there, I'm just wondering if there's anyone who is currently taking Metformin. I'm new on it at the moment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I do not have Diabetes, however, I am overweight. According to my GP, if this continues on, I may develop diabetes in the future as PCOS condition increases the risk of diabetes. My GP said along with the medication, I do need to modify my diet and exercise which I am currently working on it.

I need some advice on how to deal with the side effect (you will know what side effects if ur on it), and if it really does play a role in weight loss. i don't quite understand the theory with the insulin resistance and weight thingy, so i'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Also, how fast should I lose weight to prevent or treat my current condition coz I'm 21 and i don't want to be metformin dependant at such a young age.

Thank You.:blushing: :blushing:

Replies

• Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    I was on it for the same reasons. I went low carb to drop the initial weight while dealing with my insulin levels at the recommendation of my doctor. After about 6 months of strict low carb, my doctor pulled me off Metformin because I was bottoming out so bad and no longer needed it. And have been off it ever since. You need to stay in good contact with your doctor and monitor your levels. I was an idiot and didn't go in like I should (I LOATHE that orange crap they make you drink during an INS test, always made me sick).

To deal with the side affects, I would only take 1 at a time instead of the 2-3. Really no way to get around that one until your body gets used to the medicine. You're on my friends list, I can message you a little more if you like about INS res and how to help. A little diet change saved my life and got me off Metformin and Benicar for HTN
  • Shyhmim
    Shyhmim Posts: 27
    i see. Thank you so much for replying. I read that low card also helps with the diarrhoea and stuff. Kinda hard to go on a low card diet. Its a big change for me since the majority of my meals are carbs.
    I guess its a good chance for me to change towards a healthier lifestyle. :flowerforyou:
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    I'm diabetic and take Metformin (500 mg 2x per day) for it. Hopefully, I'm able to stop taking it after my next A1C test. For me, the side effects lasted about a week and then I was fine. I know others who haven't been as lucky. I would start out slow, and build myself up to the full daily dose. If that doesn't work, I know people who have had more success with the extended release version.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Take it with meals. Side effects generally subside.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Yup, it will pass in time.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    I've lost over 100 lbs since going on metformin. You have to do the work as well, but when your body is processing your insulin better you have a fighting chance. Before Metformin I definitely struggled much more. It's still not "easy" to lose weight with PCOS but trying to do it without the metformin was like trying to run a race with broken foot.

Good Luck!
  • Hey I'm about your age and I just started taking metformin 2 weeks ago for PCOS.
    If your having really bad side effects I hear you can get it on slow release and that helps. Also your Dr probably explained this, but you have to have it after a meal because it can send your blood sugar right down, and with a glass of water.
    Good Luck! x
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I take Metformin @500mg 2x daily. I did have some initial intestinal distress. Most side effects go away on their own in a couple of weeks (but boy, those weeks aren't fun!) As others suggested, switching to the XR version can help, as can taking it with meals. The nice thing about Met as apposed to other drugs is that it doesn't cause as many hypoglycemic episodes and may help protect against certain cancers.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    the main thing that helped me is working up to a 2000 mg dose, it took a month and I have not had any side effects. It is very important to cut cards! Try for under a 100 and those should be from veggies and one serving of fruit. The metformin helps but you need to help your body by eating a low GI diet which is similar to eating low carb.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    I started out with metformin - one pill and never had any side effects, but mine is glumetza which is a time released formula so only once a day. I am now on three a day and was okay when I upped it too. I always take mine with my supper. I agree with the others who said low carb diet. I asked my dr. about Atkins because everyone said "Don't go on it- it isn't healthy". My dr. said actually it is a good one for diabetes because it cuts out a lot of starches (you do phase carbs back in til you find your right level). When I do low carb I do find my blood sugar better. It is a catch 22- if we are overweight we are prone to diabetes, if we have diabetes we are prone to weight gain! I complain to my dr. about not losing weight but he said diabetes means your whole system is screwed up- my cousin actually couldn't keep her weight on- she looked anorexic when she developed diabetes even though she ate tons!
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    I take 1000mg metformin twice a day for diabetes (in addition to Lantus). Though I've been on it in some form or another for years, I will go through bouts of horrible stomach issues. Just recently have I been able to take both doses per day. My issues haven't corresponded to anything dietary that I can figure out, but everyone is different...I just wish my doctor would realize this! Ugh. Since being at my prescribed dose, my blood sugar readings have been great, even on days when I've made poor food choices. It's great that you are working towards being healthier to head off diabetes...the complications of the disease are horrendous! I wish you much success :drinker:
  • I was on metformin for PCOS for a while, definitely start at a small dose then increase over time, eat smaller meals more often, and def take it with food. in the middle of a meal. I found certain foods gave me really bad reactions- especially a lot of carbs but also reacted to greasy food (stomach upset) badly. The side effects do subside. Also watch out with alcohol, it made me very sensitive to alcohol and felt very dizzy etc after just 1 or 2 glasses of wine etc and would feel very bad the next day too after just a little alcohol . Beer for me was a no no. But this may be different for others! Good thing though is that Metformin can help a lot of women with PCOS lose weight, as its usually much harder for us!
  • Shyhmim
    I've lost over 100 lbs since going on metformin. You have to do the work as well, but when your body is processing your insulin better you have a fighting chance. Before Metformin I definitely struggled much more. It's still not "easy" to lose weight with PCOS but trying to do it without the metformin was like trying to run a race with broken foot.

Good Luck!

100lbs??! seriously? Thanks for this positive information! I do find that losing weight is much easier since being on Metformin, now that i hear your sucess story, i have something to look forward to. =D
  • Shyhmim
    I was on metformin for PCOS for a while, definitely start at a small dose then increase over time, eat smaller meals more often, and def take it with food. in the middle of a meal. I found certain foods gave me really bad reactions- especially a lot of carbs but also reacted to greasy food (stomach upset) badly. The side effects do subside. Also watch out with alcohol, it made me very sensitive to alcohol and felt very dizzy etc after just 1 or 2 glasses of wine etc and would feel very bad the next day too after just a little alcohol . Beer for me was a no no. But this may be different for others! Good thing though is that Metformin can help a lot of women with PCOS lose weight, as its usually much harder for us!

Yes. i read that metformin really do benefit people with PCOS. I just told my doctor about the side effects and she prescribed me a new batch of Slow Release type. I hope it will help coz the side effects really do tend to come on the most inconvienient time. Thanks for the tips about alcohol. i havent had a single drink since i've been on metformin so i don't know, but now i know to avoid it as much as i can.
  • aboadle
    aboadle Posts: 27 Member
    Hi, I'm 25 and on metformin for PCOS. I've worked my way up from a single 500mg in the morning to 3 x 500mg, one during/after each meal.
    My tummy has settled right down now which is great. I avoid fizzy drinks now as they make me really bloated! Well, more than usual.
    All this talk of low carb is tempting me to give it a go, it's hard though being a vegetarian as protein choices are a little harder to come by easily. But still. I should try to speed up weight loss.

Also you ask how fast you should be losing weight - I wouldn't worry about going too slowly. A study has shown that the quicker it comes off the longer it stays off! (i could find it for you if you would like a reference).
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    I take Glumetza a name brand of Metformin and i take about 2000mg a day now two in the morning and two at night. So far its been so good to me ...no side effects except when i have a little too much sugar even if its just sweet and low. I also have insulin resistance so im forcing myself on a low carb and gluten free diet and eating a lot more lean protein. I will help a lot.
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Metformin cannot send your blood sugar right down, as you stated. Only an insulin can do that, and only a fast acting insulin. Metformin is NOT insulin. It prohibits the liver from making glucose, which makes your blood sugar go up. But it has no effect on food that you are eating.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    I'm on it. My endocrinologist says that in order for metformin to be effective for PCOS you need to be on the max dose of 2000mgs a day. Being insulin resistant makes it SOOOO much more difficult to lose weight because your liver isn't processing carbs/glucose properly and everything gets turned to fat.
  • jessieboyd12
    jessieboyd12 Posts: 35 Member
    I was on Metformin for PCOS (not now b/c I need to get a new prescription), but I loved it and it does help you lose weight well it did for me at least.
  • I take Metformin daily 4x a day, i take mine for diabetes. As for the side effects do you take the slow release ones? i was taking the normal ones and was really ill, my stomach was aching all day and bad #3's i asked for the slow release ones and have been fine since. I have lost 3 stone on the Metformin with no problems as yet.