Calling all fitness instructor's

peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
Today I was offered a new full time position within my company! i accepted!! But I worry when I will ever have time to work full time, raise a family and follow my dreams! It has only taken me 35 years to determine what my dream is but I would love to become a fitness instructor! I love the idea of helping others transform their lives like I have done with mine! Sure I am not at goal yet and may have no business being a teacher of fitness (yet) but someday I will be! I was really hoping to get some insight from others! Like how do I go about becoming a fitness instructor would be a good start! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I do not want to waste anymore time on working somewhere I don't want to be! I want my work to be productive, meaningful, life altering! I want to get something out of what I do!!!

Replies

• hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    I just passed my group fitness certification course a few weeks ago. I haven't done anything with it yet as I'm trying to determine what I want to teach. I obtained my certification through AFAA, ACE is another one to look into. I ordered my books and went through the workbook which took a good 3 weeks, I worked on it after all my kids were in bed so about 2-3 hours a night. Good Luck to you I hope you end up doing something that you love!
  • peej76
    Thanks!! I know our local YMCA offers a certification class but I think they only offer it twice a year and I missed out on the last class and now would have to wait until September for the next one! I will have to talk to an instructor there to see exactly what it's about, plus I know I also have to get my first aid too! I really want to get a move on it, time's a wastin' lol!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    I am AFAA certified...

The problem is, it is CRAP money being a fitness instructor. You get paid anywhere from 15-50 dollars an hour when you work in a gym - more on the lower end if you are starting out.... Sometimes I get 60-75 for a Zumba class..... For me, it wasn't worth it even though I was making on the higher end since I have a full time job and a family.... But I really did it out of love for years. I enjoyed it for a while, but then I got burnt out....
  • peej76
    Ha! Still way more than I am making an hour now, even with my promotion lol! Sad eh? But at least it would be more fulfilling!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    I am AFAA certified...

The problem is, it is CRAP money being a fitness instructor. You get paid anywhere from 15-50 dollars an hour when you work in a gym

that's crap money?
    20 an hour is damn good money especially considering most trainers just had to spend a couple weeks passing a certification test.