Guilt Free Chips and Salsa

Replies

• reden324
    reden324 Posts: 33
    I'm making those for dinner tomorrow night with a weight watchers 50 calorie string cheese for guilt free nachos!
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    I am so making these tonight!!!
    But I just left Walmart on my lunch, I knew there was something I should have been looking for . . . Another stop on the way home I suppose.
    Waht brand is everyone finding for 40 cal each???

I got the Mission brand tortillas at Walmart that are 40 cal each (the pkg says 120 for 3, but the math is right, lol). They are the extra thin corn tortillas that I get, not sure if they have a thicker kind, but this one works perfectly for me. I spray them with a little cooking spray, and just a touch of kosher salt and into the oven they go! Very good and guilt-free, and they go great with fresh made salsa too!

jo
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    My dear friends. If you like corn tortillas and If available where you live, try yo buy Nopal tortillas (only 20 cal each) while normal tortillas are 60 to 110 cal each one. Si if you cut tortillas in 6 parts and bake them (without oil) each totopo (as we call in mexico corn chips) would be about 3.33 calories (almost nothing)

In nopal tortillas only little corn is used and the main ingredient is Nopal (a kind of mexican cactus widely consumed in mexico and with lots of health benefits almost no calories in it (good to lower cholesterol, sugar, etc), taste is excellent, you would not notice the difference.

Also try to prepare your own salsa or pico de gallo using natural ingredients (fresh jalapeño or serrano chile, tomato, onion, coriander, etc), processed salsa usually tastes artificial and have lots of sugar in it.
    I am mexican and I can give you lots of authentic salsa recipes.

:D
    Thanks for the tips and looking forward to checking back with you on other recipes. :happy:
  • fergie137
    fergie137 Posts: 33
    bump
  • charliehaus
    charliehaus Posts: 2 Member
    :smile:
    tumblr_lxigffnPu11qf7n0mo1_500.jpg

I posted this super-simple recipe for low-cal chips and salsa in my blog, recently, and continue to improve on it each time I make it.

I'll start by giving you the link to the original blog post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/lo-cal-delicious-chips-and-salsa-190363#comments

(Feel free to check out my OTHER blog posts, too!)

My latest improvement:

After you cut the corn tortillas into triangles and place them on the cookie sheet, sprinkle with rosemary, then lightly spray with olive oil cooking spray, then sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.

Bake at 400 degrees, as before, until golden brown.

If they're not crispy and delicious then you didn't bake them long enough!

Be sure to buy corn tortillas that have only 40 calories each. Some have fat added and can have as many as 110 calories, each. The 40 calorie tortillas work great-- so there's no reason to buy anything else.

You cannot believe how good these things are and 24 chips with salsa is only 150 calories-- and filling!

And crunchy!

And salty!

And spicy!

They've got ALL the "'y's" except fattening-y...!

-Chelle
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Going to try this this weekend!!!
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Bump! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • moorilla
    moorilla Posts: 14 Member
    Bump. Yum! Thanks for sharing!
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    bump - gotta try making my own!
  • Satyrakk
    Satyrakk Posts: 298 Member
    Thanks! Bump!
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    sounds yummy!!! Bump for later :)
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    yuuuummmmm!
  • heatherAnnXOX
    heatherAnnXOX Posts: 56 Member
    bump.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    What a great idea, thanks!
  • suzeqnow
    suzeqnow Posts: 14 Member
    bump
  • takyso
    takyso Posts: 14 Member
    bump
  • bump, looks yummy!!!
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    sounds delicious, thank you!
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    The link for the original post doesn't have the chips on it... lots of other great stuff, but not the chips.
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    bump