Am I destined to a life without chips? :(

Replies

• chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    soybeans are horrible, they contain phytoestrogens, which are bad for men and women.
    Do you have a source for this? You are the first person I have EVER met that said soybeans are bad.

do you have a google?
    Yes...and the articles I read say they are great for you. So whose google trumps? Thanks for the support.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member

do you have a google?

Did your google not tell you that it would take a huge amount of soy in order to upset hormone balance?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Those not quite cutting it? Eat chips infrequently. Cutting out the foods you love and going cold turkey won't keep the pounds off forever.

^^^^^^ This, this a thousand times this! You are not joining ChipAnon. If you cannot control your eating of chips, then you'll have to give them up entirely, but you probably CAN form a healthy relationship with them long-term.

If you "give them up for diet", then as soon as "diet" is gone the chips come back and you start regressing.

A healthy, sustainable diet is the key to losing weight and keeping it off. If you "give up" something, be prepared for it to be forever. Instead, keep some of the foods you love, but learn to develop a healthy relationship with them. When you prepare your sandwich, open the chips, put a reasonable amount of them on the plate, log them accurately, close the bag and reseal it, and put the bag away.

But what you might want to try is giving up chips for, say, two weeks. If you still crave them, buy some and start eating them in small, controlled, and within-your-junk-food-budget quantities. If you can't maintain those quantities, quit them again and give it two months. Eventually, you will achieve one of three outcomes (in descending order of likelihood):

1. You will develop a healthy relationship with chips and eat a half-dozen occasionally, all the better to savor your healthy sandwich.
    2. You will find that your craving for chips diminishes and they really don't "wow" you like they once did.
    3. You will have to accept that you have no self-control when it comes to chips, and leave them at the grocery store.
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Popchips!! You can find them in many flavors in the grocery store.:smile:
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    what everyone has said.

you could try some veggie chips or sweet potato chips. but still, you will need to control your portions and try not to eat them most days. just when you really really have a craving.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    If you don't learn portion control, replacing them with something else won't do you any good.

This

I still love to eat chips but a big part of my weight loss journey was learning to love food while overcoming the control food had over me. There is never one thing you have to give up forever.

This! When you restrict foods, you become obsessed with them. You can have whatever you want, just work it in to your goals. You'll feel liberated! :flowerforyou:
  • abuglion
    abuglion Posts: 9 Member
    I love POPChips and Kelloggs Cracker Chips (they are basically the same thing).

I also love popcorn, and have replaced chips most of the time with air popped popcorn--it is crunchy and salty :)

I have also made my own from potatoes / pita bread by baking them until they are crunchy.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member

do you have a google?

Did your google not tell you that it would take a huge amount of soy in order to upset hormone balance?

funny, you should tell that to all the womeon who developed breast cancer from drinking soy milk.

also, whats a "huge amount" of soy?

also, do you know the whole "isoflavones are heart healthy" has never been scientifically correlated?
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    I eat a half a bag of vickies Jalapeno chips with my sammich for lunch when I have one, but my caloric is very high (my TDEE cut is 3176). If your still at a calorie deficit while eating chips every once in a while, there really is no harm. However you need to count the calories and put in portion control.

I am starting to learn that losing weight doesn't involve cutting out everything you love. Its all about moderation, and a healthy calorie deficit (expect on my cheat day lol)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    I love POPChips and Kelloggs Cracker Chips (they are basically the same thing).

I also love popcorn, and have replaced chips most of the time with air popped popcorn--it is crunchy and salty :)

I do this as well, but have also recently found Quakes - they're flavored mini rice cakes and are oh so good.

I recommend if you don't get the single serving size of any of the above - opening the bag/box immediately upon getting home and portioning them into ziplock baggies. It's much easier to stay strong that way.

I also got a pump spray thing and put vinegar on my popcorn - with salt it is DELISH!
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    1 word for you.. popchips!!! They are amazing and GOOD for you. They aren't baked or fried.. they apply pressure to potatoes and they pop and they are crunchy like chips. I had them for the 1st time yesterday and they were amazing! I had BBQ and you get 20 chips for just 120 cals. Doesn't sound like much, but 20 is a huge pile lol. =) I love them and hope to find more flavors in other places than just online.

http://www.popchips.com/ you can enter you zip code on their site and it will tell you where to find them. I just don't know if they sell them outside of the US.. sorry to anyone who has to miss out on this gem.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    funny, you should tell that to all the womeon who developed breast cancer from drinking soy milk.

also, do you know the whole "isoflavones are heart healthy" has never been scientifically correlated?
    I would like to know what the sources were on this. Who paid for the study ($10 says they are related to the Dairy industry somehow) and what is the actual risk factor. If its not 2-3X than its statistically negligible.
  • shellykinder
    shellykinder Posts: 18 Member
    You are just starting out so your cravings for that stuff are still strong it gets easier and you can either go by serving size and still eat them (not the best idea), or you can get Kellog's cracker chips they look just like chips and come in flavors you get 27 chips for 110 cals, also I love Stacey's Pita chips you get 10 for 130 cals but they are thick and awesome! Rice cakes are all dif flavors. Sugar free pudding is 70 cals, grapefruit cups no sugar added in water is 60 cals. This will all be so much easy once you get a few weeks in and honestly once you eat better you wont crave that stuff you were eating before. Welcome to MFP!!
  • secretlobster

Ok maybe I'll start by using google, as you suggest

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/reduce_risk/foods/soy.jsp
  • Testosterone

I would like to know what the sources were on this. Who paid for the study ($10 says they are related to the Dairy industry somehow) and what is the actual risk factor. If its not 2-3X than its statistically negligible.

the source was newsweek, and lol@ the dairy industry paying for the study when they feed their cows soy pellets.
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    I really like the Special K cracker/chips. They taste alot like regular potato chips!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2568465/?page=1
  • secretlobster
    the source was newsweek, and lol@ the dairy industry paying for the study when they feed their cows soy pellets.

Yeah, do you get all of your sensationalist media advice from Good Morning America?
  • Testosterone

Ok maybe I'll start by using google, as you suggest

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/reduce_risk/foods/soy.jsp

funny, i found several articles in google showing that soy stopped breast cancer treatments from working. im gonna go with doctors recommending women with breast cancer not consume soy over someone who isnt a dr saying "yeah eat that, its great for you!"
  • Testosterone

Yeah, do you get all of your sensationalist media advice from Good Morning America?

i didnt realize newsweek was a sensationalist magazine. They didnt look like the register star, us weekly, or weekly world news by the cover, or having ever read any, at any time.