anyone recommend MFP to a friend trying to lose weight?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Someone laughed at me a few weeks ago when I was telling them about it. I said it's really easy, but they thought it was stupid. This was after they told me that they were diagnosed with high blood pressure and borderline diabetes and really high cholestral. I mentioned it as a solution rather than taking pills and such. I just think they're a total dumbsh*t now. Easy solution was handed to them on a silver platter and they laughed in my face. Fu*k 'em.

Told another friend that look good (or sexy), but could lose just a few, maybe 10 or 15 lbs. It was unsoliticted, so I was in the danger zone. She totally signed up and told me later that she can't figure out how to control her sodium. Funny how some people get it and some dont.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Someone laughed at me a few weeks ago when I was telling them about it. I said it's really easy, but they thought it was stupid. This was after they told me that they were diagnosed with high blood pressure and borderline diabetes and really high cholestral. I mentioned it as a solution rather than taking pills and such. I just think they're a total dumbsh*t now. Easy solution was handed to them on a silver platter and they laughed in my face. Fu*k 'em.

Told another friend that look good (or sexy), but could lose just a few, maybe 10 or 15 lbs. It was unsoliticted, so I was in the danger zone. She totally signed up and told me later that she can't figure out how to control her sodium. Funny how some people get it and some dont.

sodium isnt a really big issue if shes sweating her *kitten* off working out. im always like 2500-3500 mg. i dont bloat. but then again i leave the gym with my clothes sticking to me every time.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member

sodium isnt a really big issue if shes sweating her *kitten* off working out. im always like 2500-3500 mg. i dont bloat. but then again i leave the gym with my clothes sticking to me every time.

I don't think it's a big problem either. Sorry I wasn't clear about why I said that. I was just expressing the fact that because she said that, meant she took my advice and was using the site, which is cool. I like when people listen to me. LOL.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    If I've been asked how I'm losing weight then yes I've mentioned MFP and counting calories. I've had a colleague look all excited when she was asking me to share my secret only for her the smile to drop when I told her. As other posters have mentioned, what on earth was she expecting? That I tap my heels 3 times and the weight magically drops off??

One friend has been doing the Lighterlife diet - I don't know if you have have it in the US but no doubt there will be something similar. It's a 3 shakes a day diet. Around 500 calories a day. I know. You know. She hospitalised 4 weeks into the 'diet' and is waiting for an operation to have her gall bladder removed. She's since stopped using it but because she's not had any pain for the last few weeks is thinking of starting it again. She's a great girl but it's so frustrating that she'd rather do that than log & scan her foods on her phone. She's seeing that I'm eating loads and eating well but wants to not have to think about it - the shakes take preparing and thinking of food out of the equation and of course result in great weight losses :( I also really worry about her health if she starts it again.

Rant over!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    If you have a smart phone, its ridiculously easy.

I actually prefer the app to the website xD
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    If you have a smart phone, its ridiculously easy.

I actually prefer the app to the website xD

the most i do on the website with my diary is tweak my calorie needs.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    if losing .5 has been easy enough for you, set yourself up to lose a whole lb. ive been running at 2 lb loss per week for almost 6 months. its been difficult on some days, but its its own reward. if i overeat, i make sure i burn it off.

I only have a few pounds to go and slow and steady helps me get used to the new portion control that I lacked before. I am now happy that I will be able to maintain my eating style for the rest of my life and not over eat like I used to.
  • jenbooks
    jenbooks Posts: 55 Member
    So I haven't posted anything on facebook about trying to lose weight or anything, but I do let mfp post my losses. Last week a friend of mine (I've known her forever) asked: "How in the *heck* are you doing this? I'm so frustrated about not losing weight."

So I excitedly (because I kinda am excited about this and how I've been feeling since I started this journey) replied: "Portion sizes, trying (not necessarily succeeding) to eat healthier foods, and *religiously* logging what I eat. I'm using {mfp link} which is *very* helpful. I'm also trying to be more active, walking more, using my fitness video games, and I joined a gym. I'm still very sporadic on exercise, but I've been pretty good at staying near my calorie goal. I've found mfp to be very motivating, plus I use a pedometer (fitbit, actually, which is a pedometer+) and a heart rate monitor (because I don't want to die). I'll send you an invite to mfp if you'd like to check it out! It'd be awesome to see you there!"

Her response? "I'm glad you've found something that works. Idk if I'm ready to commit to all of that. Just being honest!"

I was sad. :brokenheart: It's kinda weird though, because she seems way more active than I am, and I *know* she cooks better (healthier) meals than I do. I dunno.
  • Totally easy and becomes as much of your healthy habit as exercise/eating right! I love it!
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    I recommended MFP to my sister who is obese and talks about wanting to be healthier and losing weight. That's the only reason I said anything because I didn't want to make her feel bad or anything. I showed her my profile and she was like "oh.." So I never said anything else. She grossly underestimates her calories consumed so I think this would be a good thing for her but she's got to want it for herself.

Edited to say I also recommended this to my friend who keeps complaining to me about she thinks she's gaining weight and all that and she pretty much said that this would be too much work so i left it at that.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    There's a few people @ work I've recommended to, nobody that I know has actually joined.

Like someone else commented, they're looking for that "quick fix" or magic pill.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    I always recommend MFP to anyone who is wanting to improve their health.... Not everyone is committed to making a change or to actually improve... But keep "educating" !!!!!!!
  • cabg6
    cabg6 Posts: 40 Member
    Everyone just remember... We are better than they are. Those LOSERS!... er,wait... Those NOT LOSERS!
  • DrGeriK
    DrGeriK Posts: 61 Member
    I have recommended MFP to many people. I will be recommending it to many others because:
    1) Keeps me accountable
    2) It's so easy

I just love this site. It is so easy compared to another site I was on.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    I recommended it to several people but they sort of rejected it. If they don't want to use it that's up to them but I know it's been helpful to me. One of the girls is not losing weight and the other is losing it but just doing it on her own terms which i can respect that. But yeah, the calories thing at first was time consuming to me too, but as you get more into it its easier to get into. Sometimes late at night when I'm tired I don't want to post but I usually make the effort and if i have to change my time zone so i can be in the correct day and that's about it.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    i think i told my friend 10 times before one of her other friends told her to join, i just sometimes wonder really why nobody listens to me, i've lost 16lbs on here because i track everything, and i enjoy doing it! i've made great friends here ! i've been a member for a few years but i didn't have a clue back then, i'm so glad i rediscovered it last year, it may have saved my arze !
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    There are 300 people in my office and I'll bet a third of them have asked how I lost my excess weight.

I told every one of them.

Some people try it and some people can't be bothered. The ones trying it are losing weight, too.

Hmmm.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    I recommended MFP to my SIL and she uses it and I also recommended it to a friend who wanted to lose weight, but she signed up and didnt log in since, that was almost a year ago. Can only suggest...:ohwell:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    I'm calling BS on anyone who thinks this isn't at all "time-consuming" or overwhelming or stressful or whatever. It IS. That's why I take Sundays off from logging. It has nothing to do with "cheating", I just need a mental break. That doesn't mean it isn't a great resource and a proven method, and that's why I'm back every Monday.

I do, however, get irritated with a friend who uses WW but insists counting calories is too hard. Uh, okay. Even though WW is protein + calories + fiber + fat minus your exercise "points" plus the kitchen sink divided by 7 times the number of weeks since you started..... but yeah, this is too hard.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    I recommend it to EVERYONE that asks me what I'm doing and what tools I'm using! I introduced a coworker to it and she logs on every day, though she's not active on the forums and such. She loves it!

My sister signed up but doesn't use it. Numerous friends know of it and have even signed up, but don't use it really either.

It's INVALUABLE to me. Without it I'd be soooooooooooo lost on my journey and probably sickly from not eating enough!