30 Day Ketogenic Diet Challenge

missyyclaire
missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
Starting May 1st there'll be a ketogenic diet challenge group here on MFP. It's a 30 day challenge for anyone curious to see how they respond to ketosis. The group has just been posted a few minutes ago. Anyone is welcome to join. You're also welcome to start topics and ask questions. I've created a simple weekly weight loss chart that you can use, there's a link to it on the group page.

I've put myself on a personal challenge to do the same this month (April) and it seems to be working. It's been much easier to do than I ever imagined. Though I've been eating somewhat lowcarb since December, I became curious to see if going REALLY low carb would help my weight come off. I've been in ketosis for just over 2 weeks now. I don't seem to have any cravings for anything, wow! I dropped 3.2 lbs the first week and am waiting to get on the scales to see how this second week went. I've got plenty of weight to lose, about 50 more lbs, so I've got plenty of fat for fuel to burn.

Here's the link if you're interested:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5165-30-day-ketogenic-diet-challenge

You're also welcome to post here.

Replies

• Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    ive been on this diet for over 6 months. its shed over 40 lbs of fat from me.
  • hollyannmarshall
    hollyannmarshall Posts: 7 Member
    Awesome! I've been doing very low carb and love it. I'd love to join!
  • missyyclaire

That is fantastic news! Are you at your goal weight now? I'd love to know your experiences with it.
  • missyyclaire
    Awesome! I've been doing very low carb and love it. I'd love to join!

Glad to have on the team!
  • Testosterone

That is fantastic news! Are you at your goal weight now? I'd love to know your experiences with it.

My goal weight is 20-25 lbs from where I am. I actually have a goal bf% not just a goal weight. You get sugar cravings the first few weeks and then they go away. You don't find sweets attractive. You want meat and fat. It makes you feel full longer and you have no insulin spikes to wear you down 35 mins from eating.
  • missyyclaire
    Amen brother! I've found the same thing, freedom from cravings. There's a birthday or a goodbye party at least 3 times a week at my job. Cake is always the main attraction. This has been going on since January for me, and so far I've not really been tempted to have even one piece. That is so unlike the me of the past when I would have had two pieces, and then snuck back to scoop up stray icing along the edges.

And I'm with you, I want meat and fat. Man, you should have seen the slabs of bacon at Manny's Steakhouse yesterday. They were about 2 inches thick and full of fat. I would have eaten more than 3 bites had it not been sooooo salty. That massive amount of salt helps me not eat too much. But, boy oh boy, it was delicious!
  • missyyclaire
    According to the scale yesterday, I'm somewhere between 1lb and 3lbs down from a week and a half ago. I went ahead and weighed in with the 1lb loss just to be on the safe side. Cool!
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    I'm seriously considering this, but I am thinking I may be one of those folks who have seratonin issues and just gets SUPER moody/depressed/cranky on a low-carb diet. Not sure as I can't seem to last more than a week under 30g of carbs. Maybe I just need to be better prepared.

Anyway, I'm willing to give it a go!!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    I'm seriously considering this, but I am thinking I may be one of those folks who have seratonin issues and just gets SUPER moody/depressed/cranky on a low-carb diet. Not sure as I can't seem to last more than a week under 30g of carbs. Maybe I just need to be better prepared.

30g/day carbs is extremely low unless you are trying to be ketogenic (which personally, I'm suspicious of). According to Mark Sisson, a dieting person should be between 50-100g carbs per day, and people maintaining their weight should be between 100-150g carbs per day.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    30g/day carbs is extremely low unless you are trying to be ketogenic (which personally, I'm suspicious of). According to Mark Sisson, a dieting person should be between 50-100g carbs per day, and people maintaining their weight should be between 100-150g carbs per day.

Well, this is the Ketogenic Diet Challenge thread! lol!! :) I've tried sub 30 (to get into Ketosis) in the past.....that's what I was referring to.
  • missyyclaire
    Here's a link to a wonderful bit of information about longterm ketogenic dieting. It's the longest study I've ever read about, 6 months. Dr's studied 83 obese patients with high blood sugar and cholesterol. They found the patients all lost weight, their blood sugar went down and their cholesterol levels improved. The Dr's found no negative side effects from a long term ketogenic diet. I loved reading that!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
  • missyyclaire
    I hope trying this doesn't push you into the crankies again, that's no bueno for you. I do know that the first 4 or 5 days can be the hardest as your body is shifting a bit. Feel free to come here and grizzle anytime you need, that's the beauty of being able to write things down here and share it with people in a similar position. We all understand!
  • Testosterone

30 grams is still quite low. a ketogenic diet is anything under 80 grams. if you exercise, you NEED to have over 20 g carbs a day.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    How do you know whether or not you are in ketosis?