Stomach Toning

I have just started MFP and have been doing okay with the weight loss, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to do to get rid of my "flabby" mid-section. I used to have a tone stomach, but three kids later it is the area that needs the most work. Any diet or excercise suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    It's really just diet and aerobic workouts (walking, elliptical, biking, swimming) that will eventually trim the belly fat, rather than doing a 100 sit ups or whatever. I had a muffin top at 144 pounds. When I got down to about 137, it disappeared! At 130 pounds, 15% body fat, and only two pounds to my goal weight, I have started doing more ab workout videos and just plain crunches to tone. Eventually I'd like a six pack or whatever "pack" women are supposed to have. Stick with general aerobic/fat burning workouts and your daily calories and you'll get there.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Pilates work miracles. And of course work on overall eating and cardio burn to get rid of the fat to show those muscles! Good luck.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Bump
  • VURATHAS
    VURATHAS Posts: 3
    Core Synergystics works wonders I just started and I'm already seeing results!
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Go to youtube and look for pop pilates, those will KILL you and get you some amazing results!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Calorie deficit and time.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    I have just started MFP and have been doing okay with the weight loss, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to do to get rid of my "flabby" mid-section. I used to have a tone stomach, but three kids later it is the area that needs the most work. Any diet or excercise suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Your basic healthy diet (calorie deficit, good protein, fats, and carbs), and squats, lunges, etc. Preferably with heavy weights somehow connected to your body. If you feel really motivated, you can perform other strength training workouts as well. The more muscles you activate lifting heavy, the more quickly you will shed bodyfat.

And you will NOT 'bulk up like a man'...I promise.

Cardio...well, it will do the trick...eventually. But your diet, well...it can be tricky...and the time it takes is substantially longer.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Can't spot-reduce; a flabby mid-section will go away when your overall body fat % goes down.

Now when the body fat is low and definition is starting to show, planks and alternate renegade rows (dumbbells) are my all-time favorites.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    ^^^
    abs are made in the kitchen. there is no other way.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    ^^^

^^ This and what SS said.
  • sweetmommyofthree
    sweetmommyofthree Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks for all of your advice. I guess some more weights and time are in my future.:smile:
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    all i have been doing is taking beachbody products eat less and exercise that is cause me to lose weight
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    ^^^

man you have an obsession with the kitchen LOL (from a previous thread) LOL
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I understand ur struggle. Most of the fat I have left is all in my stomach. It sucks. My core is so strong now, too. It's moving tho, with a solid diet, some cardio and lots of all over toning exercises. It feels like I'm still huge there but when I look at pictures from last spring I can see I gigantic difference. Stay focused and give it time!
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    wow!!! I'm surprised you have not gotten bashed for using the awful, dreaded, horribly incorrect T word yet! LOL...can one hope that people are finally giving up on that and just understanding that they mean shaping or muscle building....I find that it's mostly women that say the T word and I think I have figured out that is cause they are afraid to say build or strengthen muscle...cause of this absurd notion that they will look like a man (cause only men "build muscle")
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Unfortunately, you can only get so far until you reduce the body fat overall.

Beyond that, bicycle crunches (twist up to almost touch elbow to opposite knee and alternate) are great to strengthen the entire ab area and don't require any equipment.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,989 Member
    I have heard that one of the best things you can do for toning your abs is planks. I have been doing them for a few weeks now and I can tell a difference
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Go to youtube and look for pop pilates, those will KILL you and get you some amazing results!

I like these workouts! They have been kicking my butt. :)

Try the corset workout.