What's your biggest health/weigh loss tip?

Replies

• OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Yoda said it best "Do or do not. There is no try"
  • ajmundle
    ajmundle Posts: 1
    I couldn't agree more. I log everything I eat (even gum) and everything I do in the gym. It help with progress.
  • rwwerner
    rwwerner Posts: 42 Member
    Nutrition is the most important followed closely by exercise. DO NOT UNDER EAT!!! Try to come as close to the calorie goal that MFP set for you based off of your desired weight loss. If you go too far under your calorie goals you will lose lots of muscle mass, destroy your metabolism, have no energy, give up and gain all the weight back and then some.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Ditch as much processed food as possible.

LOL except bacon? jk :)

bacon isnt a processed food.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    exercise because it's good for you, not so you can buy calories for a doughnut.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Here's what I'm doing:

Water...nothing but (I use to be a 3+ a day Mountain Dew drinker)
    No fried foods...period
    No red meat
    Limit cheese intake
    Exercise

Find something that works for you, do it well and exercise. Whether it's walking, jogging, lifting weights, golfing or bicycling, do something to get that heart rate up.

To kind of add to this, you're allowed to make exceptions if your body actually needs (not wants) them. I have to do red meat at least once a month because of my anemia, for example; while iron is in a lot of leafy greens, I can't absorb it from them as easily as from meat and prefer to get shots for it every OTHER month rather than every 30 days.

Can I give you a specific slimming move instead of an all-around tip? Arms stretched upward while doing figure-eights with your hips. Get each one as high as you can around the bend and you can feel your obliques stretching with it. Works better with arms overhead, but out to the side is effective, too.
  • lgunter5
    lgunter5 Posts: 1
    how do you log what you did for excersise? everything I put in it isn't there. I did a circuit training tonight and I am not sure how to put it in? do I type in every set and rep? If you can help let me know I am new to this site.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Get a smartphone. Use the mobile app. Always log as you eat. I have found that one factor has made all the difference for me.

Get a food scale, plus a second one for work if you eat food that you didn't pack for yourself.

Eat what you want -- but not as much as you want as often as you want. You don't have to live the rest of your life without creme brulee, but you don't have to eat it every night, either. Get over the urge to eat as if you'll never get another chance.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are worth the money.

Every day is a new day. You aren't "on" a diet, and you don't go "off" your diet if you overeat one day. You will just be one day later reaching the goal you will be trying to maintain the rest of your life. If you're riding a bike and fall off, you get back on and keep riding, and you arrive at your destination. You don't turn around and go home, then try to start over to see if you can make it the whole distance in one go. Persistence is more important than perfection.

Water weight goes up and down far more than real weight loss. Don't get obsessed with short term weight changes.
  • hskorija
    hskorija Posts: 13
    Make sure that when you plan your meals at least half of your plate should consist of fruits and/or vegetables. Good luck.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Make one change at a time, master it and then move on to the next one.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    how do you log what you did for excersise? everything I put in it isn't there. I did a circuit training tonight and I am not sure how to put it in? do I type in every set and rep? If you can help let me know I am new to this site.

Circuit training is in the exercises under cardiovascular!

I would say, don't starve yourself. There is no reason to be hungry.. First, make healthier choices with more whole foods in their natural state (100 cals of carrots as opposed to a 100 cal snack pack sure will fill you up more) and sometimes you have to eat more to weigh less!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    exercise because it's good for you, not so you can buy calories for a doughnut.

If you meet your protein and fat goals and stay under your calorie goal why not?
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    This is a great topic! Lots of helpful tips. Thanks!

Mine is -- look at it as a lifestyle change and don't make yourself feel deprived or resentful because then you won't stick to it. So have A (ONE) bit of something bad, but don't eat the whole thing. And don't stress over one bad day; just be honest about it and then get back to staying under your target and doing your exercise. Cheers!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Ditch as much processed food as possible.

LOL except bacon? jk :)

Nitrate free, organic bacon is where it's at! Nothing processed about that.
  • aionsnow
    aionsnow Posts: 36 Member
    Plan
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    1. Eat more veggies
    2. Eat more Fruit
    3. Do CArdio
    4. Lift Weights
    5. Dont Drink so much alcohol. *once a week tops! :drinker:
    6. Give yourself rewards (like new shoes/pants) when you hit a goal Weight.
    7. Don't Starve yourself. If you're hungry eat! **choose foods wisely
    8. Dont overeat ;) *duh :laugh: :embarassed:
    9. Track your foods *after a while U will prob get used to what certain foods are and wont have to worry about every tiny calorie.
    10. Instead of goin to gym work out @ home
    11. Have a Cheat day
    :bigsmile:
    Most importantly DONT GIVE UP & have FUN w/ it!!! Dont act like its a chore but a lifestyle change for the new better you.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Low fat foods have higher levels of salt to replace the flavour lost with fat removal. Dr told me our bodies can use up full fat items, cream, milk cheese etc rather than have low fat and high salt. Prob my concern due to high blood pressure issues. But fat is better than salt for how quickly our bodies use it up. Hope that makes sense!
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Lose ten pounds.

Then lose ten pounds.

Then lose ten pounds.

Then lose ten pounds.

And so on until the goal is met. When I think about the fact that I have ONE HUNDRED TWENTY pounds to lose it's just a tad overwhelming :brokenheart:

Everyone has to start somewhere ANd hey you took the first step and starting. Like you said. 10lb then 10lb more etc. you'll be there before you know it ;)
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    This is a great topic! Lots of helpful tips. Thanks!

Mine is -- look at it as a lifestyle change and don't make yourself feel deprived or resentful because then you won't stick to it. So have A (ONE) bit of something bad, but don't eat the whole thing. And don't stress over one bad day; just be honest about it and then get back to staying under your target and doing your exercise. Cheers!

I agree! Make it a permanent lifestyle change. Any form of stop start diet means you have a stop date if you reach your goal. That also means the weight loss will stop with it and you go back to gaining weight. Lifestyle change mate! Life plan. Best of luck.
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    It's all about consistency of effort, over months and years. Not days and weeks.

Aim to be 100% good 80% of the time.