No shoes...that bad?

wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
So how bad is it really to not wear shoes when doing an exercise like turbo jam? I exercise on a carpeted surface, with a decorative rug on top of that....so I have 2 layers of carpet, and it's not like I'm jumping barefoot on cement. Shoes just make me feet hot when I exercise, which increases my sweating..which...I don't like:) hehe....Am I too picky?
ANYWAYS....so how bad is it? Or is it not that bad?
Thanks!

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    So how bad is it really to not wear shoes when doing an exercise like turbo jam? I exercise on a carpeted surface, with a decorative rug on top of that....so I have 2 layers of carpet, and it's not like I'm jumping barefoot on cement. Shoes just make me feet hot when I exercise, which increases my sweating..which...I don't like:) hehe....Am I too picky?
    ANYWAYS....so how bad is it? Or is it not that bad?
    Thanks!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Your knees and joints will not thank you for this. I did a lot of martial arts for years, and I have issues in my right knee, both ankles and my left hip. I am only 36, which is too young to have all that, imho.

It's not just cushioning, it's keeping everything lined up to prevent injury.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    So how about not wearing shoes on a treadmill? I am much more comfy in just socks. Is that bad too?
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    So how about not wearing shoes on a treadmill? I am much more comfy in just socks. Is that bad too?

You risk injury by not wearing shoes on a treadmill. If you step wrong, slip, you can easily injure a toe. Be careful.
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    All the elite runners that come out of Africa to win the US marathons have never even owned shoes, also look at elite runners shoes they are just about nothing. If you have really good, meaning , well aligned feet and knees and hips, you will be fine, but most of us do not, which is why we are not elite runners. I myself have flat feet and knocked knees, so running or jumping barefoot is a nighmare, but my yoga practice is fine barefoot. If you are not in pain and ti keeps you moving, you will be fine. FYI many diabetics are encourgaed to walk on a treadmill barefoot so they don't lose circuation, or their feet!
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Awesome. Thanks for the info :smile:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    hehe I always do my aerobics in my bare feet! I just bought a pair of shoes today but knowing me I'll wear them for a few days then they'll just sit in the closet after that!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    well, those elite runners have runners bodies, which are in very good alignment and very light and have well conditioned ligaments and joints to soften the impact, also they have basically perfect form, if your form is perfect, there is very little amount of shock. They run on dirt and grass in Africa much of the time, much more forgiving then even a tred mill, and third, those shoes they wear are for races only, you don't wear them when you train. And believe it or not, almost all of them have a layer of gel in the soles, much more cushion then you would think.
    The normal, every day runner needs a layer of protection because we first, don't have perfect form, and second, are usually much larger then those runners and more top heavy, which contributes to the pounding your knees take.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    for running or bouncie dancing/aerobics stuff I wear my sneaks....but for stretch and tae bo I sometimes do a better job w/ my barefeet or socks.....I danced for like 18 years and am used to the jazz shoes which are like soles and thats it....no cushion so I prefer it....but I won't bounce or jump a lot w/out my sneakers....my knees will hate me!

I know all the experts say you should...so you probably should lol...so should I!
    hugs!
    Ali