question for the heavy lifters

what's going through your mind as you're getting into position to do the lift?

for me it's "oh my god i don't wanna do this i can't lift this heavy *kitten* weight- THAT'S RIGHT I OWN YOU, BAR, AND EVERY PLATE AT THIS RACK"

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

for me it's "oh my god i don't wanna do this i can't lift this heavy *kitten* weight- THAT'S RIGHT I OWN YOU, BAR, AND EVERY PLATE AT THIS RACK"

Haha! This!!

For some reason there's always that...not doubt, or hesitation, or fear...I don't know what to call it, but it's there RIGHT before the point where you lift, and then it's all 'RAAAAAWWWWREFFINRAAAAWRRRR!!!'
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member

*turns up heavy metal to deafening loudness*
    EVERYONE MIGHT WANT TO WATCH, THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Plitt's motivational words of wisdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl3NGvna2KA
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    I then feel like the hulk, throw something on the floor, and pound my chest like a gorilla.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Plitt's motivational words of wisdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl3NGvna2KA
    i knew this was gonna be great when i saw "plitt"
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Squat: "I ****ing hate squats!"
    Bench Press: "Back arched, shoulders set, middle finger over the marking...."
    OHP: "Chest up, back tight. Drive this bar into the ****ing ceiling!"
    Deadlift: "I PICK THINGS AND PUT THEM DOWN!"
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Squat: "I ****ing hate squats!"
    Bench Press: "Back arched, shoulders set, middle finger over the marking...."
    OHP: "Chest up, back tight. Drive this bar into the ****ing ceiling!"
    Deadlift: "I PICK THINGS AND PUT THEM DOWN!"

soo, what do you do for a living?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZE2xszwors
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    This **** is HEAVY! But I'm gonna move it! Position, find my groove, "see" the lift in my head, deep breath, then HIT IT!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Love this thread lol.
  • fitbydons
    fitbydons Posts: 19
    Depends on what I am training! If it is legs I just smash it, but I freak out when I increase my weights for chest press (for the fear of being squished)! Then I just make the weights my *kitten* and deal with it... find tunes on the ipod help too, pumped up music....
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    i do all the major lifts (deadlifts, squats, bench, cleans,) with my eyes closed... i pretend im lifting in the dark because that is when you are at your strongest.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    bump
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    My main focus when getting under the bar back when I was doing a lot of lifting was worrying about getting through this without damaging my knees or my back. I eventually switched from lifting to calisthenics because I find that when doing strictly bodyweight training I can maintain proper form easier while getting in a better quality workout, and I don't have that same fear of doing something wrong while lifting which could lead to injury.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Squat: DON'T COLLAPSE DON'T COLLAPSE DON'T COLLAPSE DON'T COLLAPSE

Bench: DON'T EAT IT DON'T EAT IT DON'T EAT IT

Overhead Press: DON'T DROP IT DON'T DROP IT DON'T DROP IT

Deadlift: DON'T POOP DON'T POOP DON'T POOP DON'T POOP
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    When I start, it's something along the lines of "I'm gonna kill this set"

By the time I get to the end of my routine it's more like "just get through this set without hurting yourself."
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    My head is normally pretty clear during my lifts. I start getting myself worked up while I'm putting on my belt, wrapping my wrists, etc.

Crack ammonia, take two good hits, then it's go time.

I try to set up with a clear head for squats and bench, but then I try to not think. I've noticed a lot of times when I've missed a lift, I was thinking during the lift and let doubt come into play. If I can keep a clear head and just focus on the bar moving, I don't miss the lift.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    "Ain't nuttin but a peanut" :)

I don't think I have ever looked at the weights and said "I hate this" or "I can't do this". Now the treadmill.... I hate the treadmill.

I am the same as some here, my head is usually clear. And the more weights I lift, the clearer my head gets. I have started using weightlifting as a form of meditation. Focusing inward. Lots of yoga breathing when lifting.

Whether you think you can or think you can't... you are right.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    1. Am i setting up correctly? I better be setting up correctly
    2. I.AM.GOING.TO.LIFT.THIS.****ING.WEIGHT